shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you eat chips or drink soda?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a retail job and I have to go into multiple grocery stores daily.
One of the things I do is occasional audits of certain food products.
I have recently been noticing how many chip and soda displays are in the average food store.
They are really in your face. I'm sure lots of research goes into this placement as well. The more you see something, the more you think you need it.

There must be at least 30 additional displays of potato or tortilla chips and sodas in every possible location throughout the average large grocery store.
Company X owns both the 'big' chip brand and the 'big' soda brand, so they are almost always displayed together.

I see carts loaded with 12 packs of soda and bags and bags of chips.
I personally have not had a soda in the past maybe 15 years. I hate the effervescence. I rarely have chips because they are so salty.
What about you?

Last edited:

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I have diet coke & ( crisps) chips occasionally. I'll only have a few chips out of DH's packet :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chips on the weekends when I am home to snack (tea time) and soda only after exhaustive yardwork. Portion size is a bowl of chips and one cup of soda per week.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is one brand of chips that makes an unsalted variety, and I was liking them a lot, till I realized that I was eating a whole big bag in several days by myself. So I had to stop.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They really are in your face. Seems like miles of chips and soda in the large supermarkets.

I love chips, but I don't drink soda at all. And I don't consume either since I found out I'm prediabetic.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They really are in your face.

It is hard to ignore all that and make healthy snack choices in the stores. I have looked at all the varieties, like veggie chips, sweet potato, chick pea, and other alternative grains.
They masquerade as "better for you" but they still pack the same amount of calories.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE chips and enjoy them a few times a week! Soda, maybe 2x a year.

xjsbellamias13

Shiny_Rock
Love chips! We don't drink soda at all though, just once in a blue moon.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite chips are Aldi sweet potato chips, they are amazing but I try not to have chips too often.

I grew up on soda, my dad’s nickname was Pepsi because he drank so much of it. We don’t keep soda in the house but once in a while I will get a cola from a local company called Foxon Park. No high fructose corn syrup in their sodas.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chips as in potato crisps are one of the snacks that I like when I am out drinking in a pub, along with nuts and pork scratchings etc...

However, due to being a Type 2 Diabetic, I need to cut down on potatoes, hence I don't eat them very often nowadays.

Same with sodas/pops, in that I used to have a full can of normal/fat Coke at lunch, however, that stopped when I realised I was getting symptoms of being a Type 2 Diabetic.

I would have a mixer from time to time when I drink spirits in a pub or as part of a cocktail.

DK :))

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rarely drink soda, I prefer juice and water. Same with chips. Every so often I might have a couple, but it's never something I intentionally buy to eat.

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
My husband will eat any chip you put in front of him. He loves to try all the new/special edition flavors of chips, Oreos, and candy. You should see the cookie jar come holiday season! I rarely eat chips. I don't drink soda but my husband drinks diet soda.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chips no, popcorn yes!! I'm a huge popcorn junky. I have to be careful though as well..you know, it can be kinda crazy. My favorite flavor currently is truffle... yesterday I ate the whole darn bag (and this is not a tiny little bag friends!!) :oops2:

I tend to stay away from soda, though I do get the cravings and allow myself one per month (diet only) otherwise its seltzer or mineral water (or regular water) with limon/lime Oh and coffee. There's no sunshine without it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diet soda...I drink too much of it! Probably one a day. I love chips too but don't eat them anymore in an attempt to cut down on
carbs.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I drink Diet Soda a couple times a week, and eat chips/crisps once in a blue moon.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Most of my life I've loved chips and popcorn. I prefer salty stuff over sweet. I do buy a supply of chips monthly, all kinds to last me he month. I feel almost addicted to them. I always used to pop my own popcorn, but can only find the microwave stuff now. I don't like it much. much. I will eat it in a pinch.

I never drank much soda. We never had it the house when I was growing up, but since I'm home I drink diet soda. I just bought Iced tea mix and lemonade mix to cut down on the soda.

In my area soda is a loss leader in the grocery stores here. I stock up. I hate cans so I buy 2 liter bottles for sometimes 87 cents. I love a bargain, so soda goes in my cart. Aldis used to have, and still does, cheap chips, of all sorts, , like half the price of the regular food chain. So that goes in my cart.

I don't want to give them up.

Annette

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soda? Never! :knockout:

Chips? Major brands from supermarkets? Never!
I so splurge on a few from Trader Joe's that are healthier ... whole wheat, low sodium, no palm oil or HFCS.
My favorite is TJ's Organic unsalted corn tortilla chips with Kenny's home made salsa.

I'm certain I buy no products from PesiCo or Coke Inc. or whatever their correct names are.

All the liquid I drink is from my home's reverse osmosis water filter.
I even fill and carry a bottle wherever I go.

Last edited:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rarely eat chips and almost never drink soda. When I do, I choose regular soda, and unsalted chips. This probably happens a few times a year.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never drink soda.

I do eat Tortilla Chips pretty regularly.

Potato Chips are on my "rarely buy, rarely eat" list -- my mouth loves them but my body says stop already lol.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loooooove chips! Eat them about once a week. I probably would eat them more often but I have this weird thing where I need to have chips and hot Milo so often I'm to lazy to make the Milo hence no chips.

Soda only when I'm having pizza because it goes!!! I love Fanta! Fake orange is my jam!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Don't do either. Soda is too sharp & burns me throat & chips don't taste appealing to me.

Occasionally, maybe like once a year I'll have a true root beer but even then the whole mug is a lot for me. Only chips I eat are unsalted blue corn tortilla chips.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My family doesn't drink soda. We just drink water, and maybe 2 or 3 times a summer I will buy some good lemonade. Coffee for DH and now brewed Cacao for me. That's really it for drinks.

Chips... yes. We are all addicted to chips. Potato chips (Cape Cod and Wavy Lays) and Tostitoes. I go through periods where I stop buying them, but with kids in the house I eventually buy some... which we eat in no time flat. I could easily sub stove-popped popcorn with Himalayan salt but I think I have a gut sensitivity. The rest of my family will happily eat the popcorn instead of chips too.... though they want me to make it 'because I make it best' so there goes my willpower, and my gut.

ETA: I'm not sure that I am best-suited to your 'case study' though. I have been using my favorite grocery store's online ordering service for something like eight years now, where I order online and pick up my order. Therefore I am not subjected to all the displays and impulse buys (beyond the treats I have stored in my ordering lists.) I had to go into a grocery store recently for one item and I was overwhelmed by all the products! It made me realize how much I used to buy on impulse, and how much I have cut out by not shopping in person. So maybe I am actually pertinent to your question. :)

Last edited:

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if there are more displays because we’re in the middle of summer holiday bbq season?

I like chips and eat them if offered at a party, but we don’t keep them in the house. We do buy soda (my husband has it almost daily). I will drink one or two cans throughout a week, sometimes none, it depends on my mood.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
We buy soda and fizzy water.

I usually drink one can of diet coke per day. I don't drink coffee. My other half goes through Coke Zero like a madman. We go through a fair amount of fizzy water.

Chips, not really. We buy tortilla chips for salsa every 2 weeks, I'd say. I rarely eat them. I do like regular ridged chips with french onion dip occasionally, so I will buy that a few times a year. Other than that, no chips though and when we do, we buy the same thing, not anything new.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t. Fizzy drinks hurt my tummy. And I was never into chips. Ice cream yes. Chips not so much. Unless they’re in my ice cream. :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE potato chips so I don’t buy them often. I had my food delivered for over a year so no potato chips..I think I will break down and buy the little bag by the cash register now that I’m shopping again. No soda for me..Zero Vitamin water açaí blueberry-pomegranate..no other flavors..lol

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
I don't like soda so never drink it. I don't like most chips, either, other than pretzels (not sure if they are considered chips). I often eat a few pretzels after a run - I seem to crave the salt.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t. Fizzy drinks hurt my tummy. And I was never into chips. Ice cream yes. Chips not so much. Unless they’re in my ice cream. :)

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 6.06.28 AM.png

This is me, too! Chips and soda I could care less about….but a glass of wine and small bowl of ice cream are a daily staple for me! :lol:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once or twice a year if I am at a party. I never buy chips or soda except for guests when I have a cookout.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results