shape
carat
color
clarity

do you believe some imitation butter...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
taste the same as real butter? if yes, what are the best brands of imitation butter? can it fool me?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
No, only butter tastes like butter. Are you trying to reduce your cholesterol or just making conversation? :lol:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
No, it all tastes fake. Some worse than others. I avoid it - generally try to not consume things that are made of primarily unpronounceable chemical ingredients. :wink2: I'd rather eat the real stuff in small amounts.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
They taste enough like butter that it doesnt bother me. We use those spray ones.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the deal - all fat is going to kill you, basically. (and this is a bit TIC, so please no one flame in and point out about polyunsaturated blah blah blah) That being the case, I'll be damned if I'm going to eat one that is imitating something else. I'm going to eat the tastiest real-deal fat that I can. And that would be....BUTTER.

There is NO substitute for butter - not for flavor, and not for cooking properties. I would much rather go completely without, than eat a pale imitation.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I've tried them all, and none taste exactly like butter. But, I will say the one that is the closest is Move Over Butter--it's my hands down fav--it's actually really tasty! I'm an avid baker and nothing replaces real butter in my recipes--nothing compares to baking with real butter.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
No. It tastes lousy. Go with "light butter".

There was a study a few years back that some margarine is much worse for you, healthwise, than butter.

Apparently, the ingredient that makes the oils in margarine remain solid at room temperature (which it really doesn't want to do) also tend to gel and solidify in the arteries and veins. It also sticks and makes plaque in your bloodstream.

Here's some info from the Mayo Clinic;
Which spread is better for my heart — butter or margarine? from Martha Grogan, M.D.

Margarine is made from vegetable oils, so it contains no cholesterol. Margarine is also higher in "good" fats — polyunsaturated and monounsaturated — than butter is. These types of fat help reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad," cholesterol, when substituted for saturated fat. Butter, on the other hand, is made from animal fat, so it contains cholesterol and high levels of saturated fat.

But not all margarines are created equal — and some may even be worse than butter. In general, the more solid the margarine, the more trans fat it contains — so stick margarines usually have more trans fat than do tub margarines. Like saturated fat, trans fat increases blood cholesterol and the risk of heart disease. In addition, trans fat can lower high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or "good," cholesterol levels. Spreads such as Benecol and Promise Activ are fortified with plant stanols and sterols, which can help reduce LDL cholesterol levels.

When selecting a spread, be sure to check the Nutrition Facts panel and pay particular attention to the grams of saturated fat and trans fat. Look for products that have the lowest combined amount. Also, look for products with a low percent Daily Value for cholesterol.

If you don't like the taste of margarine or don't want to give up butter completely, consider using whipped or light butter. Or look for products that are a blend of butter and olive or canola oil. Per serving, these products have less fat and calories than regular butter does. The important thing is to use them sparingly.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I picked my parents wisely and can thus eat as much cream, butter and animal fat as I want...

Nothing tastes like butter.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1337780656|3201595 said:
I picked my parents wisely and can thus eat as much cream, butter and animal fat as I want...

Nothing tastes like butter.

Well done, Pandora!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1337760734|3201511 said:
No, only butter tastes like butter. Are you trying to reduce your cholesterol or just making conversation? :lol:
nahh..my cholesterols aren't high. i don't believe in those imitation craps.i have always believe that imitations are worse for your body then the real thing ,i.e...imitation sugar,butter,diet sodas.. :knockout:

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
I agree with that Dancing Fire. I had read somewhere that even if the imitation is supposedly "healthier" that it can cause a different/more harmful chemical reaction in your body than the real deal.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Olive oil and butter are the only fats in our house.

I DO try to dip my bread in OO instead of using butter - but there is nothing on the planet, even chocolate, that gives me that huge endorphin rush like real butter on warm bread.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1337796605|3201782 said:
Olive oil and butter are the only fats in our house.

I DO try to dip my bread in OO instead of using butter - but there is nothing on the planet, even chocolate, that gives me that huge endorphin rush like real butter on warm bread.
Yummy! that's my kinda cookin'!!! :bigsmile:

No... but I LOVE LOVE LOVE I Can't Believe It's Not Butter- Light! I use it in place of real butter for mac n cheese.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Moderation. Moderation. Moderation.

Portions, portions, portions.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
For merely spreading on bread, or seasoning something while cooking, buttery spreads are fine. I use Land 'O Lakes; it's made with cream, and is trans fat free. And you might have a hard time telling the difference between 'real' and it.

If a recipe calls for butter, especially baking, real butter is absolutely necessary and should not be substituted if you want great results.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never used imitation butter. We buy Irish butter from Trader Joe's and it's too amazing to give up for imitation.

I don't use butter much, but when I do I want to enjoy it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1337810648|3202027 said:
I've never used imitation butter. We buy Irish butter from Trader Joe's and it's too amazing to give up for imitation.

I don't use butter much, but when I do I want to enjoy it.
what is difference b/t Irish butter and regular butter...the cows came from Ireland?.. :confused:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Higher milkfat. Which means yummier.

Imitation anything is never going to be as good as the real thing.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1337821831|3202182 said:
Higher milkfat. Which means yummier.

Imitation anything is never going to be as good as the real thing.
What Freke said.

I really only knew that the difference is that it tastes much yummier. We typically only use butter on Sunday mornings when I make a big breakfast and I top off the fried eggs with a pat of butter right at the end, my version of getting the basted egg flavor without actually having to baste. :cheeky:

And I'm just partial to anything Irish.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I apparently have a less discerning palate than many PSers - they all pretty much taste the same to me! We just buy whatever's cheapest that day :cheeky:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always wondered what the Irish butter was. I'm going to try it this week.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I'm another fan of real butter. However, I don't use nearly as much as I grew up using. My mother drowns everything in butter, and once I moved out of home, I realized most food can taste pretty good on its own. So, I only use it in moderation. I tend to prefer a little mayo spread on a sandwich, rather than a thick layer of butter. I don't put it on vegetables and I only use a little if I'm having toast or English muffins.

My husband likes Country Crock rather than butter. I can't stand the taste. I'd rather go without.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1337920457|3203270 said:
I always wondered what the Irish butter was. I'm going to try it this week.
Fair warning--going from regular butter to Irish butter is kind of like going from being blissfully happy with your maul store stone and then stumbling upon RockyTalk. It's going to be hard to go back.
I tell you this because I care.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love butter so I'm gonna do it!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results