shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you and your SO go to bed at the same time?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I'm just curious. We usually do. Do you think it has any impact on your relationship?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We do, and it’s a sacrifice for me. I’m a night owl but he needs to go to bed around 10 so I go with him. We have always had great talks just lying in bed at night and I’d never want to give up that precious time, even if it means I’m lying there awake for a couple more hours after he drifts off (I’ve gotten good at doing a lot of emailing and reading on my phone during that time :mrgreen2:). Since I work from home, I can sleep in.

latte_espresso

Rough_Rock
Premium
haha, I always thought that we were different for going to bed at the same time.

We generally go to bed around the same time and wake up around the same time. It's much easier now since we work in the same time zone. In the past her team was working Seattle hours (we are in New York), and she would wake up late (AND sleep late), which meant I slept late too but had to wake up at the same time.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
We don't currently because of baby. We have to sleep in shifts. But pre baby we did a lot of the time. I prefer to go to bed super early and he likes to stay up and game. So we tried to compromise. He came to bed early weeknights and stayed up late weekends. I dont think it affects us at all really because we both spend so much time together when he is at home anyway so I don't really feel like I miss out on anything.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We didn't use to, DH stayed up late watching TV or whatever while I went to bed early. Then our baby (now toddler) started sleeping in our bed and he would not go to sleep unless both of us were in bed :roll2: So now we're in bed by 9pm, which works for me because I'm up all hours of the night with the new baby anyway so I can use the early bedtime :mrgreen2::mrgreen2::mrgreen2:

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh and as for the relationship, I think the toddler-in-our-bed affects it more than sleeping at the same time ;)2

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

No and no.

cheers--Sharon

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never have and likely never will.

I have excellent sleep hygiene. (I have sleep disorders).

DH is type A++ personality and a genius so he just goes until he passes out.

I have found him at 4am slumped with his head over his desk and work snoring lol.

We are soulmates who have been together since 16 and are pushing 50, so I am going to say no impact on relationship lol.

latte_espresso

Rough_Rock
Premium
And to answer your question on impact. I would say no. I believe we are one of the few in our social circle that goes to bed at the same time. And other relationship are going strong as well.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it necessarily impacts a relationship either way. My husband and I work semi-opposite shifts. He usually gets home at 9 and I'm in bed by 11 (during the week at least). I also wake up around 7 for work, and he doesnt wake up until 9-11.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We usually don't, we have really consistent natural sleep cycles and mine is 2 hours later than his. On the weekends we try to meet in the middle but during the week since our work hours are different we just go to sleep at different times. I don't think it makes any difference relationship-wise, trying to force the same schedule probably would end up with one or both of us a little grumpy. :lol-2:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At least 1/4 of my SOs are always with me wherever I go, including to bed lololol.
image.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do try to go to bed at the same time as my good lady but I take about an hour to wind down and get into bed, whereas she can be in bed and snoring in 5 minutes flat lol

I am fastidious in my dental hygiene routine, though - I have to brush with a firm toothbrush until they are squeaky clean, then floss for a good 5-10 minutes to make sure everything is completely clean everywhere.

The missus never bothers flossing :rolleyes: and moans that I 'go on about it' when I remind her once every six months or so :rolleyes: So frustrating. Does she think I'm going to want to kiss her passionately when she has a mouth full of rotten gums and black, decaying teeth??

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do try to go to bed at the same time as my good lady but I take about an hour to wind down and get into bed, whereas she can be in bed and snoring in 5 minutes flat lol

I am fastidious in my dental hygiene routine, though - I have to brush with a firm toothbrush until they are squeaky clean, then floss for a good 5-10 minutes to make sure everything is completely clean everywhere.

The missus never bothers flossing :rolleyes: and moans that I 'go on about it' when I remind her once every six months or so :rolleyes: So frustrating. Does she think I'm going to want to kiss her passionately when she has a mouth full of rotten gums and black, decaying teeth??
If you don't have one, do try a phillips sonicate. You don't have to press hard. It does the work for you. You also use less toothpaste. Good god it's the best clean without damaging the enamel.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We basically go to bed at the same time, I don't think it really makes any difference either way in our relationship.

However the cat decided to start sleeping literally between our heads every night, so now it's the three of us going to bed at the same time every night :lol-2:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We do go to bed at the same time now and get up at the same time. DH has a flexible work schedule so matches his to mine so we can make this work.

For several years, we went to bed at the same time but I had to get up 2-4 hours earlier. Since the only time we could see each other was in the evening, I gave up some sleep to spend time together. It definitely was not easy and may have been the cause of a lot of early disagreement (not to mention leaving me tired and cranky!).

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all. He is early to bed and early to rise and except on the days I need to get up at 5 a.m. to work I am the opposite. Works for us because we tend to spend the majority of our free time together.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nope, He loves to sleep in and stay up later. I am early to bed and early to rise. Usually up by 4:30! He and the cats need more sleep than I do. It doesn't seem to affect our relationship...:roll

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! He loooooves his sleep. He goes to bed extremely early (think 8pm some nights) and I am a night owl. I much prefer to sleep in mornings.

Early on in the relationship I would get annoyed by it but now I'm more more relaxed. He's not doing it on purpose, and we hang out plenty ::)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He gets up very early for work so he has to go to bed early, long before I am ready. It's been this way for 26 years and doesn't affect our relationship at all. During vacations he stays up later and we hit the sack around the same time.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... generally at the same time so we are usually in bed by 10pm but I want to sleep straight away, whereas he'll read for another hour. I just use an eye mask to block out the light. We get up the same time for work.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rarely; I am usually out of bed at 4am to get my day job out of the way so I can then work on Opals in my workshop afterwards, Mrs Jordy works more 9-5 type hours. So I'm usually asleep well before she is even tired.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH works crazy hours, sometimes. Our routines get interrupted quite a bit, too, since his 4 children live almost an hour away with their mother, and my 2 children live with us (until my son leaves for College in August).
Most days, when he works day shift, he will fall asleep on the recliner, while watching tv with me. I will wake him to come to bed when I’m ready to go up. Sometimes, my first effort to wake him is successful. Other times, it takes several attempts to get him off that recliner...lol!
Sometimes, the roles are reversed, and I fall asleep on the couch, and he wakes me to go to bed with him.
Most of the time, we make an effort to go to bed at the same time just for the comfort of having each other there.
I don’t believe it has an impact on our relationship, as there are many occasions when he’s working night turn, and I sleep alone. His absence only makes me appreciate his presence more.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We go to bed around the same time. Our routine is this. At around 8:30 PM (haha yes we are exhausted way before that time as we wake by 4/5AM generally) we shut the electronics/tv etc. downstairs and my dh brings our kitty Francesca to the bedroom. Then I go upstairs and get ready for bed. Brush/floss/wash my face and change. About an hour later my dh comes to bed and falls asleep immediately lol. I am still relaxing watching some of my favorite guilty pleasure shows as I finally fall asleep. That's our routine.

Whatever works for the individual couple is what works and there is no universal right or wrong. Go to bed together or don't go to bed together. It's what is right for the couple. That brings me to the question do you sleep in the same bedroom? I know a few people who sleep in separate bedrooms from their spouse due to their spouse's snoring. That would not work for us but again it is what works for that couple. I love knowing my dh is right beside me and it gives me comfort knowing he is right there by my side.

@Indylady how about you and your SO? Do you go to bed at the same time?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5 nights a week yes but on 2 nights I like to go on what I call a bender!

It's when he makes me a giant pot of tea and I stay up to write fanfic!

Sometimes he pokes his head in to yell at me and check my word count if I am procrastinating but he's usually in bed MUCH earlier on those nights!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We try to most nights when we are together. We both work nights so we can only sleep in the same bed 2-3 times a week.
Lately my husband has been sleeping in the other bedroom though bc of our cats. We recently adopted two cats and he says they bother him.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As we’re together all day, not going to bed at the same time doesn’t affect our relationship at all. DH could be a triple Olympic gold medallist if sleeping was a sport, me, I don’t sleep much.

Gul1517

Rough_Rock
I get into bed about 45 mins to an hour after my husband and he wakes up before me due to work. He’s always awake when I come to bed. We’ve had this routine for the past 5 years (since we’ve been married).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I go to bed at least 2 hrs later and he is up at least two hrs earlier. I’m a late night owl and he is an early bird.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
We always used to, then we had a baby and I went to bed as soon as possible to get as much sleep as I could. Two years later and I’m still going to bed earlier because life with a toddler and full time job is exhausting. DH still goes to bed later.
Can’t say if it’s going to bed at different times or just our new hectic lives but our relationship is not what it was.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results