shape
carat
color
clarity

Do women lie about the size of their E-ring? if someone asked...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size is your diamond?
Do you tell people the exact weight or do you just round it off to the nearest 1/4 ct?
If you have melees on the band do you tell people the total ct weight or just the weight of the center stone?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always answered with the exact weight of the center diamond. But it is a question I rarely get anyway. It's a bit gauche to ask IMO unless it is a close friend asking.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone I know with a .91 or .97 always say “1 carat” and ladies with anything over 1.8 carat say “2 carats”. I think people like to talk in more round numbers.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say 2.8ct or 9mm if a close friend asks but if it's a random person I redirect the question or change the subject. I wouldn't round up to 3, I feel like that would seem obnoxious within my circle of friends.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm such a jewelry nerd, I would rattle off the exact carat weight.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
I usually say “Just under a carat and a quarter.” Or, “Just over a carat.” I don’t think I’ve really been asked by anyone who was interested enough for the exact carat weight, 1.22cts. I’ve never added in the carat weight of the bands either.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think I’m the opposite. Instead of 1.63 I just say a little over 1.5 and leave it at that. Most people around here haven’t seen anything other than a round or princess so I usually direct the conversation towards shape and cut.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure men would never lie about the size of their...

... wedding band ;-) :lol:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never only very rarely been asked that question thankfully. I remember one friend asking for comparison when he was ering shopping for his gf and that's OK, because it As part of the broader discussion and helpful info for him. Otherwise I'd give mm measurements rather than ctw. More accurate if you want to compare for info, nondescript if it's purely asked to make a judgemental comment afterwards..

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I usually clarify to find out which weight they are looking for but if I don't or I think they only mean centre stone. Then I just say either my centre is .46 carats or i say my centre just a teeny bit under half a carat. I only say its roughly 1.2 carats if someone asks for the weight of all the diamonds.

It would be super silly of me to lie lmao. My centre stone is clearly no rock to be roughly 1.2 carats on its own!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've only been asked once or twice. I said, "about 3." I don't add in any bands either.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recall being asked only twice about ctw in 5 years I've had my solitaire. I think I gave the exact weight which is meaningless to most people as it's all about spread and sparkle. One of the two also asked about the color.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just say it’s 3 carats.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i just say it's a little under two and half carats (It's 2.3)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My close friends are the only ones who have asked. I usually say 3 carats.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't think I've ever been asked. Sometimes people say they that it's nice and I say "thanks, it's an antique" :praise:

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it’s small enough like mine, nobody asks. ;)2 But being here on PS, maybe that will change one day. :geek2:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one has asked me. I think my husband's family might have asked him, or he just told them (about my 25 year upgrade anyway). My MIL has tons of bling and I'd never ask her. My SIL has a diamond over 2cts, but unspecified. I would probably just say the exact measurement because I'm kind of precise like that. I would never ask anyone in public. I'd only ever ask if I was thinking of purchasing to be honest.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always say the exact weight which is 2.03. Strange but I never thought it was weird until now! :lol:

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I think most women would round up if asked, but I've never really thought about it as I've never been asked. I think my mom asked with engagement #1, and I've told my BF what the former stats were for that ring. I only ask really close girlfriends (it's always been related to the sale of said ring), and they all tend to be rather precise but that's probably just my group of nerdy girlies. :D

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't remember the last time the subject came up, but there were a few times in the past 31 years I rounded up to the closest quarter carat. I imagine others do for simplicity's sake. Rounding up is 8 points away, vs down, which would be 17 points. I hope that's reasonable.

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I round down. Like no one cares if I say 1.59 and I feel super uncomfortable lying and saying 1.6 lol

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get asked frequently enough that it makes me uncomfortable at work, around my coworkers.
I keep it simple: “A little over a carat.”
Personally, I only discuss such intimate details among family & close friends. I find it in poor taste to randomly discuss such things with others, especially in my place of business....lol!!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I wish someone would ask me because I want to talk about my new ring! I would be happy to accurately state every detail.

One female acquaintance did say it "blinded her." I got all excited at my big chance until I noticed her pursed lips and sour expression. But that made me happy too because I think it means the beyotch is jealous. :p

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never got one. He did recently ASK me if I wanted one (kinda 20 years too late for that....:lol:) At this point in my life I probably would not wear it anyway.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m another one that would give the exact weight: 1.28ct or 2.83ct (and the 2.83ct is an estimate- but I still give the exact carat weight :lol:).

AV_

Ideal_Rock

I am ever surprised that this custom hangs on as it does, where it does...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
... ASK me ...

Your choice of capitalization brings up a significant memory: it was said over my head - 'This woman will not speak unless you ask - so keep asking.'
___
I have nicer stuff to write on my grave, but this might make it as a footnote.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results