shape
carat
color
clarity

Do u think that ‘made in China’ means bad quality?

ARJessica

Rough_Rock
We can see things ‘made in China’ everywhere,and I already used it,but some of my friends still think it’s an synonymous of bad quality…
So what do u think about it?
:confused: :confused:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's synonymous of bad quality, but I'd much rather buy something made in my home country (US), mainly to generate economic flow here.

Generally I just take the time to research products before I buy them to make sure they are the quality I am wanting.

lisalisa8804

Rough_Rock
Trade
never, since China join in the world trade market. To some extent,that means China economy has developed to a qualifed lever.

joyceliu2010

Rough_Rock
Trade
I don't think so

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm wary of certain things (and we're ethnically Chinese), esp. when it comes to food. I'm sorry, but there's been too many incidents in the past few years. You can find videos of how they make steamed bbq pork buns out of cardboard online! they said it tastes just like the real thing, and that scares the crap out of me...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
depends on the product.

injection molded plastic products they are pretty much the same from anywhere.
knives from China on the other hand are 99.9% junk
bike parts from China are mostly junk
car parts from China are spotty - some good - some bad.
I avoid food products from China.
Electronics are pretty much the same no matter where they are from these days.
They are all either made in China or Taiwan.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Generally yes. I realize it's a big generalization, but I kind of grew up in a household that didn't really like Chinese-made products, so unfortunately, the bias has stuck.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes,all garbage!! :knockout: i'd try to avoid buying any products "made in China" whenever i can.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
I don't think it's synonymous of bad quality, but I'd much rather buy something made in my home country (US), mainly to generate economic flow here.
I try to avoid products made in China. Way too much fuel is wasted in the transport. Unfortunately I am forced to buy some products from China because they aren't made anywhere else.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Yes, lax safety standards, poor QA\QC, unsafe working conditions, and unlivable wages come to mind. That being said, most of the items we buy are probably made in china and certainly many are very high quality.

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I find a lot of what is made in China (and this is a generalization) is made to be disposable and the price reflects this quality. This isn't necessarily the fault of China as there are companies all over the world designing these products with a lifespan in mind and having them manufactured in China.

I think what concerns me most about things that are made in China is that they are often so cheap it is difficult to imagine that the people working in the factories are being paid anything at all. I'm also concerned that it is now so much more economical for us to throw things into landfill rather than have them repaired. A new toaster costs as little as $9? To have a toaster repaired by a local electrician would cost at least $50, probably more for parts.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
It completely depends. If it's electronics, then no, not necessarily.

Clothes and other consumer goods - probably a bit.

Food products - yes, probably. Employee standards may be just as high (or higher) than in the US despite the fact that wages are much much lower, but ingredients are typically sourced in China, not the US, and are of much lower quality.

I've worked in industry and manufacturing for long enough to know that equipment and steel made in China are very inferior to what is produced in the US and other countries. It's always cheaper, but it often breaks in half the time. So sometimes the stereotype is warranted.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I would buy electronics and lower-end clothing that are MIC, but I will never risk my life by buying food products!

ChallyMixe

Rough_Rock
I think not all "Made in China" had a bad quality there are some that's not.

GameSeeker

Rough_Rock
China had messed up with their own reputation. There are some countries who do the best for their exporting products, but China? They’re on the other way around.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think freshwater pearls made in China are bad quality!

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
ForteKitty|1282143077|2683953 said:
I'm wary of certain things (and we're ethnically Chinese), esp. when it comes to food. I'm sorry, but there's been too many incidents in the past few years. You can find videos of how they make steamed bbq pork buns out of cardboard online! they said it tastes just like the real thing, and that scares the crap out of me...

I agree - food I avoid.

Items - no because it's almost impossible to.

I hope you all 'no made in China' people don't own Apple products. Most of the parts are from China and made in China. e.g. iphone, laptops etc. Actually a lot of the electronic items - phones etc are made in China except most don't have labels on it.

Even Asian countries themselves, such as Japan, Korea and even Taiwan are out sourcing their work to China. Cheaper labour.

Another big market that people don't realise - designer goods. The material may be from Italy or somewhere in Europe, but most are made in China. :naughty:

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I saw a 20/20 segment on Candles. Please avoid them. They use things as fillers that are not healthy for humans.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don't buy clothing, food, or furniture made in China. Thing is, if the shoes you buy say "made in Italy"--does that preclude all the "ingredients" at went into it? Could the thread or the dye be produced in China, but be overall product be manufactured in Italy?

Just curious DF--I buy 24K jewellery manufactured in China (or India). What about you???

cheers--Sharon

mastercut

Shiny_Rock
The problem that worries me more is that many products though made in China pretend being made elsewhere. For exemple one big optics company (not Nikon) from Japan lied me about their loupes telling they are made in Japan. Their U.K. dealer said they are made in China :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1320355975|3053458 said:
HI:

I don't buy clothing, food, or furniture made in China. Thing is, if the shoes you buy say "made in Italy"--does that preclude all the "ingredients" at went into it? Could the thread or the dye be produced in China, but be overall product be manufactured in Italy?

Just curious DF--I buy 24K jewellery manufactured in China (or India). What about you???

cheers--Sharon
i buy my 24K jewelry in S.F. chinatown.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes, but not always.
My collection of herve leger bandage dresses are made in China and I can personally vouch for their superior quality (in materials and craftsmanship).

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock
I just say, it's your prejudices.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
not prejudice to NOT want certain chemicals in my food or that of my pets' food........just saying.

BambooLife

Rough_Rock
This was at one point true, but with the everlasting size of China's manufacturing now, its hard to say. It's like living in the poor part of a large city and assuming that every other place in the city looks/act identical to your surroundings. Don't get me wrong tho, it can be hit or miss depending on the factories, budget, and design plans.

hdom

Rough_Rock
China is very capable to make some of the finest products in the world. Luxury item makers, be it in fashion, cars, jewellery, electronics, etc, purposely set up their factories in China for reasons beyond labour cost. ie. BMW even came out openly to say some of the best quality cars are made in the Chinese factory.

I happen to know some manufacturers in China and they say, a lot of the Chinese crap you see everywhere is due to the importers or business that wanted to make the most profit as possible and so they pressed the factories in China on the cost and at some point, the cost can't get any lower and quality will have to suffer.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hdom|1376517808|3503174 said:
China is very capable to make some of the finest products in the world. Luxury item makers, be it in fashion, cars, jewellery, electronics, etc, purposely set up their factories in China for reasons beyond labour cost. ie. BMW even came out openly to say some of the best quality cars are made in the Chinese factory.

I happen to know some manufacturers in China and they say, a lot of the Chinese crap you see everywhere is due to the importers or business that wanted to make the most profit as possible and so they pressed the factories in China on the cost and at some point, the cost can't get any lower and quality will have to suffer.
Joke of the year!..yes, maybe the finest FAKES in the world... :rolleyes:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
[quote="Dancing Fire|1376959049|3506248Joke of the year!..yes, maybe the finest FAKES in the world... :rolleyes:[/quote]

LOL......and true!

JenPaulson

Rough_Rock
Based on my experience (and I have a lot!) yes. I know that not all they are making are of bad quality I also have a few handful ones that are good but mostly it seems to be leaning that way. If you plan on buying stay away from food products and toys as some of them have reached the headlines due to their toxic content/material.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really care where a product is made, as long as it is made to the required standard(s) fit for its intended purpose, in terms of safety, quality and efficacy.

Unfortunately, bribery and corruption are not uncommon in certain countries, where officials who are supposed to set and uphold rules, standards and regulations, would turn a blind eye to deficiencies in exchange for monetary gain.

China has suffered bad press in the past with manufacturers cutting corners and officials turning a blind eye by being bribed. However, it is determined to improve its image on the world stage, in its own (some would say heavy-handed) way, by passing heavy punishment, such as the execution of its former head of their food and drug administration for taking bribes and allowing sub-standard food/medicine to be sold that subsequently resulted in deaths back in 2007.

I strongly believe quality comes at a price, and you get what you paid for.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results