shape
carat
color
clarity

Do these sapphires in vintage ring look real?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello,
I am considering purchasing this sapphire ring that is estimated to be from the 60's and am wondering if the experts here can tell if the sapphires look real? I think I will have to send it off for a report to know for sure, but am wondering if anything can be seen in these pictures to indicate if they are real or synthetic? The gold ring is stamped P14K, which at first I though might mean it's plated, but found out that it means Plumb 14K which is how the used to stamp 14K. Thanks in advance for any input :)

_6343.jpeg

_6344.jpeg

_6345.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, it is difficult to ID synthetic sapphire from natural just from photos. Many types of synthetic sapphire are "real sapphire" but lab made. It might be possible to check the stones with a loupe to see any inclusions. Bubble like inclusions are common in Man made sapphires. Unless you can get a certification from the seller you might have to send the ring away from assessment. There isn't necessarily anything "wrong" with lab sapphires, some people prefer them so as to get the desired colour at an affordable price point, but lab sapphires are a lot cheaper than real ones so you want to be sure you are getting what you are paying for.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the reply Bron357. I was considering trying my luck with a vintage piece, but am not much of a risk taker, so I'll continue to purchase from known and reputable vendors instead.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is natural silk we see in the centre stone - anyone else? This would mean real unless it has been faked to look like silk. The other thing is that it looks quite noticeable which may mean lower quality sapphire depending upon your pricepoint and how much it costs ofcourse.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is natural silk we see in the centre stone - anyone else? This would mean real unless it has been faked to look like silk. The other thing is that it looks quite noticeable which may mean lower quality sapphire depending upon your pricepoint and how much it costs ofcourse.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results