shape
carat
color
clarity

Do/should you talk to evangelists at your door?

Do/should you talk to evangelists at your door?

• I don't, but I should

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I don't, and I shouldn't

Votes: 35 83.3%
  • I do, and I should

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do, but I shouldn't

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't, but I should.
I've always just immediately said, "No thank you, good bye." ... after all, they know where I live.
If they don't respect that and walk away I interrupt their speech with another No Thank You and close the door.

Lately I've wondered whether I should speak up and express myself.
They are.

I accept people have a right to believe in whatever they like.
I served 6 years in the US military, partially, to defend our Constitution.
But our culture has this thing where you just never challenge anyone's religion.
It's considered disrespectful; some would even call it religious persecution.
Yet taking away someone's atheism is not only tolerated, it's seen as (even widely admired) as giving them something ... "better than nothing".:wall:

If telling evangelists at your door that turning off your brain's critical thinking by believing things for which there is insufficient evidence (aka faith) is rude ... then what they are doing (going door to door) is way more rude and disrespectful.

So, what say you?
Keep quiet, or speak up?

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People can believe whatever they like but they don't have the right to trespass on my property and try to preach to me. Usually the first thing out of their mouths is "Do you know Jesus?" and my response bears no resemblance to civility so I long ago stopped answering the door for anyone I don't recognize.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure if you want to. I also never answer the door to solicitors.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really talk to them but I ask them if they need water bottles refilled or anything. I do let them know I am atheist. Usually they tell me I'm the only person who has been nice enough to get them more water. So, you know, lead by example and all that. If I was to engage in a conversation on religion I would come across as A LOT less nice.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say we are Jewish and not interested in their brochures. If they push, I will talk to them...

I like to be familiar with other religions so they are surprised when I am familiar with what they are trying to tell me. Then usually try to explain similarities between their religion and mine. I can read their materials to learn about my religion.

Anyway, an hour or two later they end up leaving with a list of books THEY should read with questions they have come up with to ask their religious leaders and pointers to where to study languages to read the original rather than translation.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a security gate. I stopped being civil to most of them when one of them attempted to climb over said gate, which is quite high and should not be climbed on, broke a part of it and then took off.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have never come to my door. Is that a bad sign?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a video camera by front door and don't open door to anyone I don't expect.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My time is more valuable than teaching them a lesson lol. (good or bad)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I generally take the time to say thanks but no thanks.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't. It's a waste of time because their minds are closed to all view points except their own. Pulling up weeds in my yard is much more productive.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live less than a mile from at least 7 churches. Virtually everyone except a few hold-outs like me, is churched in these parts. So I guess they don't think there is much need in my neighborhood, because you just don't get much door to door evangelism anymore. We see the Mormon boys from time to time, but they've never knocked on our door.

I just don't answer the door if anyone I don't know is there. I made my choice long ago. I don't need to talk about it with a scrubbed-face teenager no matter how badly they want to. It would be a waste of my time and theirs.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I wanted to hear their message, I would invite them to my home. I don't invite them so I don't entertain them. They still want to shove their brochures at you and ask for a donation. If you just wanted to enlighten me, why would that cost me money? Don't even get me started...

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I voted that I do but I shouldn't because of the last person who I spoke to; I went through the methods and philosophy of my beliefs and I could see that after our chat that I had given him a lot to think about it.

While I want people to have beliefs for good reasons and to lose false beliefs that may be harmful, putting them into a conscious process where they evaluate their beliefs and go through inner and outer turmoil is not what I want but ultimately what happened in the situation I was in. I feel guilty for making someone feel that way as I do not feel like I should be allowed to, but if someone opens a dialogue with me and that is the result then I know I cannot be blamed for that outcome.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't get door to door solicitors at either home thankfully but if we did no I wouldn't open the door nor would I feel guilty or obligated to do so.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always wanted to open the door and tell them that I am a Satanist, just to see their reaction.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually tell them that I'm a good samaritan, and as such, I do not wish to waste their day... At least the last group had a sense of humour... LOL

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, and I owe no excuse. I only ever answer the door when it is the mail person. I have a No Soliciting sign up and most people respect it. I will get a video doorbell someday. But then again, I never have my phone near me either. Most people leave as soon as they hear the cacophony of chihuahua voices as they step anywhere near the door. :cheeky:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When we first moved in our home together arrived every Saturday morning. We never answered the door after their first visit. They were extremely pushy even after being told we were not interested.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kind of got a kick out of this story so thought I would share.

We were at my husband's cousin's house for dinner and her husband (who happens to be atheist) told us that a Jehova's Witness came to the door one day and he heard out what she had to say. I guess she would come around every now and again. Well they both got to be friendly with her and her family owns a restaurant and makes really good BBQ, so she brought them some food. She will show up from time to time with some new dishes! I would gladly entertain some religious chat for some good food.

Maybe I'm a loon but I just thought that was one of the cutest stories I've heard as of late.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always wanted to open the door and tell them that I am a Satanist, just to see their reaction.

I have been wanting to order the symbol from the Satanic Church to hang on my door! I generally do not answer the door.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't do "door to door" period. I especially don't like religion being "sold" this way. I wonder what the statistics are - does it actually work?

A few years ago The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints came to my door. I didn't answer. They then OPENED MY DOOR to put a pamphlet inside. They were immediately greeted (and scared shitless) by my very large dog. :whistle:

When my boys were smaller I used to have a sign on my door up only during nap time - "If you knock, the dog will bark. If the dog barks, my sleeping children will wake up. If my sleeping children wake up, I'm going to be very unhappy in which case you won't want to speak to me anyway. So don't knock." Sometimes I feel like an 80 year lady trapped in the body of a 39 year old. Now get off my lawn. :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm always interested in other religions, but I can't trust that the person at the front door isn't casing my home out as a target or distracting me as someone else breaks in from the back.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And another reason I prefer animals. They never try to convert you.
theseanimalsshouldberewardedfornotbeingpeople.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And another reason I prefer animals. They never try to convert you.
theseanimalsshouldberewardedfornotbeingpeople.gif
Yes they do.
They wrap us around their furry, or feathery, little fingers.

But what they convert us to is real.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes they do.
They wrap us around their furry, or feathery, little fingers.

But what they convert us to is real.

True dat. There is always a loophole but that is a loophole I can embrace.:mrgreen:

awww.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmm, hunky man.
I wish I was that puppy.

... I know, I'm so bad.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results