shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PriceScope Upgrade Completed
    For issues, questions and comments click the link below
    https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricescope-upgraded-comments-and-issues.229551/

Dismiss Notice

Do pears show color more than rounds?

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by cpster, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpster
    Brilliant_Rock

by cpster » Aug 21, 2006
    Hi everyone,

When comparing a round and a pear of the same color grade, will the round stone face up whiter assuming it is an ideal cut? For the pear, assume 1A-1B grade. I''m shopping for pear side stones to match my GIA graded H colored center stone and found a really nice uncerted pair graded I color. I got the stones just the other day and they are beautiful in terms of shape and cut, but I''m afraid they are a bit too yellow. [​IMG] So it looks like I may be on the hunt again.

What I''m wondering is should I be looking for G colored stones instead...or if this is just a case of a generous color grade given to the uncerted stones. I compared these I colored pears next to my AGS 0 J colored round diamond studs and even the studs looked much whiter.

Do pears show color face up more easily than rounds? I know everyone is going to say let the maker of the ring pick the stones for me, but my budget doesn''t allow for this.

Thanks!

2. robbie3982
    Ideal_Rock

by robbie3982 » Aug 21, 2006
    Hi Cpster,

It''s my understanding that all fancies show more color than a well cut round.

3. Garry H (Cut Nut)
    Super_Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Garry H (Cut Nut) » Aug 21, 2006
    1. I find H / I is a big color jump - one that many can "see"

2. pears and radiants cuts are some of the best at showing color

4. Lorelei
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Lorelei » Aug 21, 2006
    Yes pears can show more colour than fancies. I have a 2 ct GIA certed pear which is an H and although it is very white, you can see a hint of tint at the tip in some lights looking at it closely. However with the pears being small sidestones it might not be a problem, but maybe trying to find G colours might be an idea to be safe. An H pear is still very white to me though even in a larger diamond, it is just the tip..I would tend to listen to Garry's advice about these shapes showing more colour as he sees plenty of diamonds in his work.

5. KristyDarling
    Ideal_Rock

by KristyDarling » Aug 21, 2006
    I have an H round flanked by H pears. I wish I had gotten G pears because I can definitely see more warmth in the pears than in the round. I''m betting that only I can tell the difference though, because I scrutinize this ring from 1 inch away on a daily basis. If a person was just looking at it casually or even holding it up kinda close, they probably wouldn''t even notice (unless it was a fellow obssessive PSer, of course).

6. mrssalvo
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by mrssalvo » Aug 21, 2006
    kristy, did leon suggest or offer g pears when he was doing your setting? i''m toying of the idea of setting my stone the same way and just figured I''d go with G pears to match my G stone (which could be a low G since it was graded and H by AGS 6 years ago.) Do you think I should go with F pears? of course the pears I''d use would be a lot smaller than yours[​IMG]

7. FireGoddess
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by FireGoddess » Aug 21, 2006
    Yes, the tips of the pears can show more color than a round will.

8. oldminer
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by oldminer » Aug 21, 2006
    Nearly evrey fancy shape concentrates color in one or more zones. A lot of this depends on the cutting style of the individual diamond. Just like bow ties in some fancy shapes ar more or less visible, color is similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.