shape
carat
color
clarity

Do pearls scratch easily?

JoseeCL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi, I'm looking for some expertise. How easily do pearls scratch? If pearls rub together do they risk scratching each other? Like if you layer 2 or more necklaces.
As well if you put a slide pendant on a strand will the bail scratch the pearls? For example I included photos of my vietnamese blue akoya strand that I wanna wear with my Sea of cortez pearl pendant I made. If the bail slides over the pearls will they get damaged?
If this is not a safe option do you have any suggestion on how I could pair this sea of cortez pearl with my vietnamese blue akoya because I think they are a perfect match!

20170304_131548.jpg

20170304_131654.jpg

20170304_131703.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
If your enhancer bale doesn't fit over your strung pearls and you feel you will wear them often together you can have them restrung with the pendant placed in the center. Sometimes I wear a blue Tahtian pendant on a short chain and the strand of blue akoyas hangs below it and they don't touch. I worry about scratching also.

1793bluetahitianand_akoya.jpg

JoseeCL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hey NacreLover:) I was waiting for you come on and give me some of your wisdom :)
The pendant slides over the pearls quite easily but I am worry the rubbing will scratch. I could always position the bail over the gold clasp. If I wear it with a chain which I love your idea by the way, I would worry that the pearls and chain in the back of the neck would rub. Does that happend?
I also thought of buying an enhancer bail that opens and closes that I could position between the pearls.

screenshot_20170304-182108.png

screenshot_20170304-182242.png

JoseeCL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Your pearls are stunning by the way! And the blue and gold look so elegant!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that blue and gold akoya strand. Are the gold beads both white and yellow gold? More pics please!! :appl: :love:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Yes they are white and yellow gold round beads and quad spacers between the baby blue baroque's. It looks different now since I tore it apart and made it longer and added another strand of pearls into it.

The only negative thing I've noticed from wearing a enhancer clipped on pearl strands is stretching the silk between the pearls. I ended up restringing them since it was obvious. My enhancer was wide.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome Sea of Cortez pendant! I like these types pearls although they may not be suitable for my next project, but they look so different from other pearls!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The answer to that is yes and no.
Yes they might wear and rub -
But no, not really scratch in an enhancer sitch but there could be some rubbing - consider how ice will buff a glass to cloudy after years of g and ts!
pearls will scratch if there is something sharp and pointed dragged over the surface but two pearls touching each other will not scratch or mark. After all , you've surely seen photos of the huge bags of pearls on shelves in wholesalers and we usually keep pearls together in bags and they are in and out of these bags all the time. If the least touch was fatal to the surface we would all be selling very dull marked stuff.
Yes, an enhancer would be better than a pendant, but do note the warning. too wide an enhancer will possibly enlarge the space between the two pearls as it elbows its way into place.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results