shape
carat
color
clarity

Do Pavé bands steal the limelight from a solitaire?

hamandcheese

Rough_Rock
Hi I have a 0.9ct diamond which I will be setting into a ring soon for my engagement and was wondering if a thin Pavé band (1.8mm to 2mm) would overshadow the solitaire? Especially since my stone isn’t that big.

My bf prefers a plain band as he feels that it will allow the solitaire to “shine” more. Just wanted to get some opinions from those who are more knowledgeable here. Thanks everyone!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think a pave band would distract from the solitaire at all. They are far from being the same size so the sparkle is very different. Go for what you want!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
No but you might want to keep the band 2mm+

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
I think it will look lovely. if You are uncertain there is a thread for rings under 1ct which you can look at to give you an idea.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its purley personal preference
i don't like pave bands nor do i like skinny bands but im also not engaged
i would want the solitar to be a solo act

congratulations and best wishes for a long and happy live together

make sure you take time out on a regular basis just to enjoy just being a newly engaged or soon to be married person in love

your ring will be perfect and beautuful what ever the two of you choose

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
I don't think it would overshadow the center stone, particularly if you are considering the cathedral settings in your other post since the center stone will be obviously larger and sit higher up than you rest of the melees on the band.

I have a cathedral settings that has melee diamonds getting gradually smaller with the two right beside the center being largest and it still highlights the center stone, it also has a basket that has melees on it. In fact, I see it as the center diamond is sitting on a throne! Here is the design from the jewelers website, their sample uses a 1.5ct diamond:

1635072788055.png

It comes down to your preference and what looks good on your fingers.

Also if you do choose a plain band and still want pave, you can have pave on your wedding ring perhaps. If you are going to wear the wedding band together on with the e-ring, have a think about how they will look together too so you can plan ahead.

Speaking of the wearing the two together, if you want the e-ring and wedding band to sit flush without a spacer, it might be a good idea to make them at the same time so setting height etc. will be right.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think pave steals the show, however, I really like the look of a solitaire with a pave wedding band.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think it would overshadow the center stone, particularly if you are considering the cathedral settings in your other post since the center stone will be obviously larger and sit higher up than you rest of the melees on the band.

I have a cathedral settings that has melee diamonds getting gradually smaller with the two right beside the center being largest and it still highlights the center stone, it also has a basket that has melees on it. In fact, I see it as the center diamond is sitting on a throne! Here is the design from the jewelers website, their sample uses a 1.5ct diamond:

1635072788055.png

It comes down to your preference and what looks good on your fingers.

Also if you do choose a plain band and still want pave, you can have pave on your wedding ring perhaps. If you are going to wear the wedding band together on with the e-ring, have a think about how they will look together too so you can plan ahead.

Speaking of the wearing the two together, if you want the e-ring and wedding band to sit flush without a spacer, it might be a good idea to make them at the same time so setting height etc. will be right.

I have a similar ring with a .88 in it and it is one of my favorite rings. The graduated side stones really set off the center.

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Not engaged so I don't know if that diminishes my opinion at all, but I do have a few solitaires (for fun) and I've always preferred a plain band. Especially if you have a beautiful centre stone, I would let it be the "star" of the ring. That being said, I do like some extra sparkle, so I tend towards hidden halos or "peek-a-boo" stones. I love the look of a plain ER band with a diamond half eternity band; just looks incredibly timeless and classic to me.

You do you, of course! You'll be the one wearing the ring forever. Choose what makes you most happy! Try a few on in store and see which you prefer :)

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
If it is a particularly nice center stone, I personally opt for keeping things clean & simple. Depending on the setting, this can present as a timeless and elegant aesthetic.

Then again, I'm also an artist who works with my hands & don't like having to clean my rings often - something to consider when getting pavé on a ring.

vintage diamond

Rough_Rock
I prefer a pave band over plain metal band, so I don't think a pave band steals the show. I think it enhances the overall look... additional sparkles! The most helpful thing to do is to try on both ring styles in a jewelry store to figure out what you prefer. It's going to come down to your personal preference, because opinions on this topic will range from person to person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results