shape
carat
color
clarity

DO NOT GO TO NYC APPRAISER MARK BUNDA - HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
I just came back from the worst customer experience of my life, even for NYC standard... I am appalled !! :errrr:

This appraisal was for my new 3ct AGS000 H VS1 RB diamond in VC halo ring setting.

I made an appointment with Mark Bunda for today (lunch hour). The appointment however turned into a very negative experience for me. I was quoted $345 and to me the price was fair and we agreed on the appointment for me to expect : 1) match the stone to the cert 2) evaluate the diamond and setting 3) write up the appraisal document for insurance purposes.

Mark Bunda completely failed my expectations to the point i had to walk out in the middle of the appointment feeling frustrated, belittled, and insulted !!!

Without even seeing my diamond, Mr. Bunda informed me in a brusk manner that 95% of the certed stones he had evaluated, only 5% had been AGS. if i were to apply for insurance i would only be covered by AGS stone replacements, insurance companies "recognize" GIA stones as more superior and in the event i were to pick a new diamond, I would not be able to pick a GIA stone replacement with the same AGS "color" and "clarity" range. Vice versa if i had an GIA stone that needed to be replaced, i would have the option to go either way. His statement baffled me and sounded very strange.

Feeling a bit uneasy, I placed my ring on the tray and he immediately proceeded with measuring the diamond with calipers. This was very strange to me because every single appraisal appt i had been in, the first thing was at least a quick steam clean to get the grime out, and this time it didn't happen.

So with a dirty ring he determined very quickly that my diamond was an I color VS2. WHOA??!! Note my diamond is an AGS000 H color VS1 with a HCA of 0.9. When picking out this diamond, I remember comparing my previous 2.32ct G color next to this 3ct H color and I was not able to see any color difference... and i am color sensitive as you all already know! So while i understand AGS may occasionally grade color softer, i feel like i would have been able to see enough tint in an "I color" and would not have purchased the diamond in the first place if it were the case. As for the VS2 part, while i understand there is a very small colorless crystal near the table of the diamond, it is the one and only inclusion other than one other pinpoint. these are the ONLY two inclusions in the entire 3ct diamond! It made me wonder if he had slightly cleaned the ring would he would have changed his conclusion. But it was very apparent to me that he was biased against AGS stones to begin with for unknown reasons and already had a stigma against it since the beginning of this evaluation.

As a client I rightfully asked him how he came up with VS2 as a clarity grade for this diamond (I did not have a chance to ask about color at that point). He simply stated that there was a crystal on the table and gave me a face as if asking why I would even question his evaluation. I pointed out that the AGS plot did not have any other inclusions other that one pinpoint. He ignored my question, and asked me to hand him the certificate to proceed with writing up the appraisal document. At this point, baffled and frustrated not getting an answer, i asked if he was even going to look at the cut grade. He sighed, and put his glasses back on, 3 seconds later he said "i would give it a VERY GOOD cut grade, NOT EXCELLENT". I again told him that the AGS grade is 000 IDEAL (he still has not seen the AGS cert yet). He then sighed again and said, "well, your setting is affecting the performance of this diamond then. the diamond girdle is set above the halo and your diamond now looks like a VERY GOOD cut diamond and not EXCELLENT anymore". I honestly have never heard of this type of explanation at all, nor would I have ever imagined a very delicate halo setting could detrimentally ruin the performance of a diamond?!

I tried to ask him further on the cut grade evaluation, but he kept interrupting my sentences, and declared this appointment was solely for insurance documentation purpose and not for cut evaluation, and it would incur an additional fee if he looked more into it. At this point i was appalled, frustrated and insulted. I asked him one last question, "so for $345, you are simply matching the certificate and nothing else? I remember going to other appraisers for the same price with more in depth evaluation of the cut grade such as looking into angle measurements and proportions."... Without even having the opportunity to finish my statement, Mr. Bunda literally threw my ring back onto the tray and said "well then why don't you just leave and go the other appraisers". My jaw literally dropped on the ground. I left the appointment mortified and insulted. The only silver lining was that i did not pay him a penny.

p.s. in the middle of this appointment he also scoffed at me for not telling him in advanced that the diamond is not laser inscribed on the girdle, that i should have told him so he wouldn't have " wasted 10 minutes finding the inscription that was never there".

p.p.s. I scheduled another appointment with David Wolf for this coming monday morning.

below pics show my diamond proportions, plot, and HCA score :

screen_shot_2012-09-15_at_9_0.png

1271835id.jpg

screen_shot_2012-09-10_at_11_0.png

screen_shot_2012-10-24_at_10.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: DO NOT GO TO NYC APPRAISER MARK BUNDA - HORRIBLE EXPERIE

Oh, Frankie! What a terrible experience! It is a wonder that man gets any business! :angryfire: I am just so glad you hadn't paid him!!!

I hope things go much better with David Wolf. I will be anxious to see what he says. Please come back and tell us. Your diamond has an outstanding cut. I am always interested in what they say about color in regard to AGS stones.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

thank you for sympathizing ! ;(

thank goodness it was only valuable time that was wasted ! sigh... :nono:

I will definitely come back and go through what David says... He was extremely friendly and thorough with my 2.32ct ring...

I tried contacting David earlier but could not get through, and that was why i decided to try Mark Bunda this time... big mistake !

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

Oh Frankie!! :errrr:

That is just awful!! :nono:

I am sure all will go well at your next appointment and you will forget all about this terrible experience.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Wow...what unprofessional and condescending behavior. I'm so glad you're a well-educated PSer, because someone who's not might have believed the BS he threw at you!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

How unprofessional!! :o So sorry you had to put up with that, Frankie. I'd just go see David Wolf, he'll set you mind at rest (wasn't it also David who appraised your nikked 3ct?).

That reminds me of something that happened to me: I went to my (well, she was - it no longer is) local jeweller's to have her measure the shank and the height of the setting and that's all. I was NOT there to ask for her opinion on the diamond. Yet, the stupid woman exclaimed, upon seeing my 5.318ct diamond, that it was "soooo small" (WHAAAAAAAT??!!), "yellow" (again, what the heck?!) and that it was "hazy" (at this point, I was triply-sure that she'd lost the fr**king plot!! Seriously, the stone doesn't even have any fluor!! Bl**dy outrageous!!

I really wouldn't worry about what Mark had said. I also wonder how on earth he manages to get any biz at all in the first place!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

In my opinion it is unprofessional for an appraiser to offer opinions of color or clarity of a set stone when the diamond is accompanied by a reputable lab report, espcially if they are trying to disagree with the lab report :nono:

What a joke, so glad you did not pay anything.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Awful! I am actually glad he booted you out so you wouldn't have to agrue with paying for that abuse.

Sometimes I think we actually know more than the appraisers.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1351139417|3291929 said:
In my opinion it is unprofessional for an appraiser to offer opinions of color or clarity of a set stone when the diamond is accompanied by a reputable lab report, espcially if they are trying to disagree with the lab report :nono:

What a joke, so glad you did not pay anything.

I was thinking the same thing as I read the post. Sorry this happened to you Frankie, and I hope you have a much better experience with David.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

When I appraise a mounted diamond accompanied by a credible lab report such as AGSL, GIA, GCAL, HRD, I am forced to think that the color grade is probably a correct one on the report unless there are other obvious problems matching the report to the diamond, such as clarity issues or measurement discrepancies. One color grade while mounted cannot be discerned in the D to M range by most experienced appraisers. Remember, this is a mounted diamond and your eyes just do not separate the metal out of the equation.

Clarity is a lot different. Assuming that nothing of importance is hiding under a prong tip or the edge of a bezel or on the pavilion which is concealed by the mounting, the clarity grade an appraiser provides ought to be quite close or on target with the documents. Certain;ly, the appraiser must clean the diamond sufficiently to examine the stone and ought not see an inclusion where none exists on the clarity plot unless there is some sort of problem in the matching of the document to the diamond. Often an appraiser will grade clarity too high because a some clarity setting inclusion can't be seen when mounted. A lower clarity grade given by the appraiser, more than one grade too low, is rare, as clarity setting inclusions don't generally pop up after a clarity plot has been created at a credible lab. Occasionally, clarity plots are poorly rendered, but it is not a common problem.

An appraiser cannot tell an AGS000 by eye. It takes a lot of measuring and the correct program or knowledge to know if the cut grade of 000 is proper. If an appraiser holds an "opinion" that an AGS000 diamond is not the very finest cut it is just one person's opinion and does nothing to alter the actual diamond. Opinions are a dime a dozen. Getting a correct opinion often is not something that anyone else can promise. If the diamond you have is the one on the AGSL report in your possession, then I would tend to endorse the stone as AGS000 unless I can find a definite and objective "problem". Appraisers generally follow such concepts, but something unpleasant happened to you during your appraisal process. It is good for others to understand that not everything went well as there are always alternatives which one might find 'better".

Don't let this experience ruin your diamond. It was a person to person problem and the diamond is still likely the very one on your report with all its good attributes unaffected by the events you reported here..... Wear it and enjoy it!!!!! :roll:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Terrible way to ruin your lovely diamond experience! Thank heavens you are as well informed and educated as you are, in regards to diamonds and jewellry! as someone said above, a lesser informed consumer would have believed this "wisdom" ( :rolleyes: ) and left very upset with who sold/set their stone.

Good for you for posting to help others avoid a similar fate ... and word of mouth is a powerful thing... :twisted: Do let us know how wonderful the appraisal goes with David Wolf! :))

(edited to correct "Atlas" to "Wolf".... oops!! sorry! :oops: )

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi|1351163197|3291979 said:
Terrible way to ruin your lovely diamond experience! Thank heavens you are as well informed and educated as you are, in regards to diamonds and jewellry! as someone said above, a lesser informed consumer would have believed this "wisdom" ( :rolleyes: ) and left very upset with who sold/set their stone.

Good for you for posting to help others avoid a similar fate ... and word of mouth is a powerful thing... :twisted: Do let us know how wonderful the appraisal goes with David Atlas! :))

David Wolf. David Atlas is in a different city.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1351164085|3291986 said:

Good for you for posting to help others avoid a similar fate ... and word of mouth is a powerful thing... :twisted: Do let us know how wonderful the appraisal goes with David Atlas! :))

OOOOps!!! :oops: I changed it above... Thanks DS for noticing and correcting!!! I'm blaming the error on no coffee yet this morning and too many things on my mind... but in reality, its my VERY POOR memory skills from only a few posts away - how pathetic is my brain??? :nono: Apologies!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi|1351164538|3291992 said:
diamondseeker2006|1351164085|3291986 said:

OOOOps!!! :oops: I changed it above... Thanks DS for noticing and correcting!!! I'm blaming the error on no coffee yet this morning and too many things on my mind... but in reality, its my VERY POOR memory skills from only a few posts away - how pathetic is my brain??? :nono: Apologies!!

Listen, I can totally and completely relate!!!! I often skim here when I am busy and can easily make mistakes!

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock

That sounds outrageous and, if I had experienced the same behavior, I would have been incredibly upset. Seems quite unprofessional. I think you will have a very positive experience with David Wolf. He appraised my engagement ring and was such a delight to work with. I'm sorry you had to experience that!

ksmom

Shiny_Rock

I second the David Wolf recommendation- he appraised my Transitional vintage ring, and clued me into the probability that my diamond was more modern than an OEC (though he called it a MRB and Ari at SS calls it an OEC, so I'm splitting the difference and calling it a tranny!) He was also very kind with my toddler son who came along with me for the appointment. The only comment he made that left a bad taste in my mouth was when he commented on the color of my diamond- he said it was "N, as in Nasty".... Really?? You couldn't say "Nice" or "Neato"? Though I recognize my sensitivity was due more to my sentimental attachment to the piece and nothing more. I just hope my diamond didn't hear him! :D

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

What a business!

FWIW, I had two gemologists tell me my ACA, VS2, AGS000, set in a pendant, was a SI1.

cheers--Sharon

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

1 grade on clarity and one grade on color is considered a difference of opinion between graders by the trade.
That said there are so many red flags he threw up that I am glad he did not try and charge you!
That is the only good thing I read in the whole sad story.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

The clarity and color are within tolerance of errors. But the rest of the appointment was just TERRIBLE! I would have been ticked off and upset too. I"m sorry you had such a negative experience. To think he charges people that much money to treat them so poorly!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I would imagine that a non-PS educated person would leave an appt. with Mark crushed that the stone they bought was not what it was *supposed* to be....what a shame! So glad that you didn't pay him anything Frankie and I hope that you're going to post a Yelp about your experience so anyone trying to get a recommendation can see your review.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

His behavior is absolutely rude and uncalled for! When you wrote that he literally tossed your ring at you and told you to take your business elsewhere (after his own unprofessional behavior to begin with) I felt :angryfire:

Phoenix|1351137918|3291916 said:
That reminds me of something that happened to me: I went to my (well, she was - it no longer is) local jeweller's to have her measure the shank and the height of the setting and that's all. I was NOT there to ask for her opinion on the diamond. Yet, the stupid woman exclaimed, upon seeing my 5.318ct diamond, that it was "soooo small" (WHAAAAAAAT??!!), "yellow" (again, what the heck?!) and that it was "hazy" (at this point, I was triply-sure that she'd lost the fr**king plot!! Seriously, the stone doesn't even have any fluor!! Bl**dy outrageous!!

Phoenix, sorry to hear about your experience! Am wondering if she said that because she is interested in getting you to trade it in to her for a "better" upgrade so that she can make a commission!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Phoenix|1351137918|3291916 said:
How unprofessional!! :o So sorry you had to put up with that, Frankie. I'd just go see David Wolf, he'll set you mind at rest (wasn't it also David who appraised your nikked 3ct?).

I really wouldn't worry about what Mark had said. I also wonder how on earth he manages to get any biz at all in the first place!

That's just her being pissed off she couldn't compete for your business. Next time, take your business elsewhere. What a total witch.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Alexis, Gypsy, thank you, sweeties.

No, I absolutely knew she was being a total witch!! She had been trying to sell me a 5ct for years now and her prices (their being a B&M biz) are astronomical. In addition, the stones she enquired for me were not ideal-cut. It's funny one time she took one of the listings off BN and showed it to me and added a few more tens of thousand onto BN asking price!! :lol: Ha, does she not know that I would never fall for her tricks? :knockout:

I was actually just using her/ her company for setting smaller items, here and there (since we're so hard up in SG) but now I'm for sure NOT using them anymore, not for one single thing. I had a recommendation from someone else and now I am recommending that any Singaporean PS'ers reading this NOT go to them.

This is the same person that told me my J studs looked like L's (actually, she might have said N's - I don't really care to remember)!! She's really off her trolley! :rolleyes:

Sorry, Frankie, it seems I am always jacking your thread! Hope you have a positive experiene with David Wolf on Monday - in fact, I am sure you will.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

thank you everyone for your kind words, and thank you to the appraisers (Neil and Karl) who chimed in ! glad i wasn't the crazy one... ::)

I am definitely ok with hearing one grade off what the cert says but i do feel that i deserve at least a reason drawing that conclusion... after all i am paying $345 for 1 hour of service ! Yenny, i'm an avid yelper and will for sure type up a review !

phoenix, sorry for your terrible experience ! don't you ever go back to that nasty woman ! :nono:

Sandy the Frankenstorm is approaching NYC so i postponed my appt with David Wolf until next week... i'll keep you all updated !

gemologic

Rough_Rock
Trade

I am the "horrible" appraiser mentioned here.

Bottom line, don't shoot the messenger. I was telling it straight, if you want comfy, go somewhere else.

I strongly disagree with David Atlas's comment that we should calmly accept big certs and that reliable grading in a white mount is not possible. Hello?

I have been grading in white settings for years and usually match GIA cert's 98% of the time without seeing the cert.

In my numerous observations, AGSL is usually one color grade softer than GIA but I thank them for pioneering the cut grade system

EGL New York was very close to GIA, a little harder on the clarity would have been fine but then Rap banned them. I am not sure about EGL LA.

I am really bothered about Rap banning EGL New York but I hear Rap was thinking about starting his own grading lab?

I am very happy EGL International has closed. I see NAJA is getting behind IDEX and I am very interested and hopeful that viable alternative/s to the Rap list can develop.

I would really appreciate if Pricescope would go through the links of this conversation and apply their terms of service.

I don't appreciate being called a dickwad as well as other allusions to me and others.

Kind regards,

Mark Bunda, FGAA, NAJA, AAA

BUNDA Jewelry Appraisers & Auctioneers

608 Fifth Avenue #701
New York, NY 10020

www.jewelry.time.com

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Frankie never came back to tell us what David Wolf said. I would be very interested to know. I remember another PSer using him a few years ago and he graded her AGS stone two grades lower than the report, so it is possible she was told the same thing that you told her. She later had another appraisal by David Atlas who graded the stone one grade lower than the report.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-had-an-i-diamond-appraised-today-and-was-told-that-it-was-a-k.55486/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-had-an-i-diamond-appraised-today-and-was-told-that-it-was-a-k.55486/[/URL]

When I recall stones posted here with both GIA and AGS reports, I have noted that AGS graded color one grade higher. But every time this issue comes up, the vendors insist it absolutely is not true and the sample here is too small to be meaningful. I own 3 AGS diamonds, so it's not like I am against them. But I am for paying for the correct color grade.

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock

Frankie,
One question; why did you choose Bunda appraiser?
I have used Bruce Block in Garden City NY.
AKA The Jewelry Judge. Bruce has always been right on and he is also a lovely person to deal with.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

gemologic|1417757132|3795520 said:
I am the "horrible" appraiser mentioned here.

I don't appreciate being called a dickwad as well as other allusions to me and others.
LOL

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

I've always used David Wolf at Just Appraisers. Generally though, he has graded my AGS stones 1 color grade lower than the report. That's before he knows the grades.

Madison, I can't answer for Frankie, but I can tell you why I didn't use Bruce Block-I'm in the city, and he's just too far.
I also trust David Wolf.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, that's some super shitty customer service.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results