shape
carat
color
clarity

DK ideal cut melee?

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I’m looking to have DK make me a DBTY bracelet with 10 to 14 pt melee. Has anyone ever asked him to source melee and is it ideal cut quality?

Thanks!
RayRay

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any jeweler should be able to source ideal cut melee. Just ask him. Tell him not excellent cut, you want top of the line ideal cut.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more confirmation.

DK did my wife's custom e-ring setting (and later matching wedding band). At the time of quote, I did not specify an ideal cut melee. During the design process, after BGD shipped the stone for setting, I got a call from Amy confirming the stone had made it safely and it was absolutely gorgeous and they were upgrading my melee to ideal cut to ensure it all matched.

I never got any certs, etc on the melee nor did I expect them. However, color is a match. Clarity is great. More importantly, it sparkles like crazy.

If there was any upcharge, they ate it as the price was exactly as I was quoted.

Overall I was very pleased.

Almost forgot, the center stone was a BGD Blue and I got a black light for free to check fluor. So when checking fluor I noticed I had a few melee stones that also had fluor. The vast majority had no fluor. I found it kind of cool. Of course, without the black light you'd never know the difference.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
@sledge - thank you for the reassurance! That’s great DK upgraded them for you, can’t say I’m surprised!!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
@sledge - thank you for the reassurance! That’s great DK upgraded them for you, can’t say I’m surprised!!

Hi RayRay, Any chance you have an update on this thread? Did DK end up making a dbty bracelet for you? I am interested in a similar project so I'd love any more information on how your project is going. Thank you!!

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
@OdetteOdile - thank you for the reminder lol! I’ve been home on maternity leave so it’s been a little hectic. I’m trying to decide on stone size and number and am going to try to reach out to David directly after Valentines (no need to bug him this busy week!). I’ll definitely report back on what I decide and show pics!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
@OdetteOdile - thank you for the reminder lol! I’ve been home on maternity leave so it’s been a little hectic. I’m trying to decide on stone size and number and am going to try to reach out to David directly after Valentines (no need to bug him this busy week!). I’ll definitely report back on what I decide and show pics!

Hi. I just had an anniversary ring made with .20 x 5 hearts and arrows melee. I had already chosen my stones from Karen Rosengart who specializes in ideal cut (H&A) melee and her prices were only slightly better than David’s. I did also price out a couple of other well known vendors for them and they were more expensive so I would say go with David or if you are on a tight budget see if Karen can do any better. The diamonds I got are incredibly sparkly. They do go a bit dark sometimes in really bright light because they reflect so much light but they sparkle like crazy in lower light and bad office lighting.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you! I would love to see pictures when they are ready and hear about your experience. I had forgotten Valentine’s Day was coming so soon!

Kalliope

Shiny_Rock
I asked David for a quote for a 3/4 eternity ring with ideal cut round brilliants and it was a little higher than the non-ideal stones.
Still trying to decide if it‘s worth the extra money.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I asked David for a quote for a 3/4 eternity ring with ideal cut round brilliants and it was a little higher than the non-ideal stones.
Still trying to decide if it‘s worth the extra money.

After seeing my H&A diamonds, I would never go back. I think it's worth it - maybe do a half eternity instead to save on cost since you won't see the ones on the backside anyway. I added sizing beads to my ring to keep it from spinning.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the info @CaseyLouLou!! Will definitely go with ideal cut stones, excited to get started on the project!

I agree, @Kalliope, I would definitely get the ideal cut stones if it can be in your budget:) what width band are you getting?

Kalliope

Shiny_Rock
@Kalliope, I would definitely get the ideal cut stones if it can be in your budget:) what width band are you getting?

I‘d like a 2mm band with melee, hence I don‘t know if the difference between ideal cut stones and the non-ideal will be noticeable?
05B028A3-0DD9-41FE-892C-66A53B6A2B04.jpeg

After seeing my H&A diamonds, I would never go back. I think it's worth it - maybe do a half eternity instead to save on cost since you won't see the ones on the backside anyway. I added sizing beads to my ring to keep it from spinning.
Sizing beads might be an option, yes! I thought about getting a half eternity but I just can‘t stand spinning rings.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
@Kalliope, I have the exact same band though made by someone else. I think the stones will be just large enough you may be able to tell the difference, though honestly I’d just ask David for his opinion on whether he thinks it will be noticeable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results