shape
carat
color
clarity

DK cad review - ruby reset

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I finally decided to reset my grandmother's ruby. Could I pick your brains to sanity check my DK cads? I would be very appreciative of some more seasoned eyes!

Here's the inspiration I sent him...
S217A_org_l.jpg
and...
southfield-angle.jpg
for inspiration for shoulder details.

We started with this....
43893-QUAD(1).jpg

and have further refined to this...
DK CAD2.jpg

In the second revision I wanted to see what it would look like with larger diamonds. I think the two tone metal should be reversed on the shank- with the shank being yellow gold.

I feel like the shoulder detail could be refined a little bit, but I'm not sure how to articulate what I would change. Maybe add more "swoop" to the side splits?

Thanks for your help!

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I finally decided to reset my grandmother's ruby. Could I pick your brains to sanity check my DK cads? I would be very appreciative of some more seasoned eyes!

Here's the inspiration I sent him...
S217A_org_l.jpg
and...
southfield-angle.jpg
for inspiration for shoulder details.

We started with this....
43893-QUAD(1).jpg

and have further refined to this...
DK CAD2.jpg

In the second revision I wanted to see what it would look like with larger diamonds. I think the two tone metal should be reversed on the shank- with the shank being yellow gold.

I feel like the shoulder detail could be refined a little bit, but I'm not sure how to articulate what I would change. Maybe add more "swoop" to the side splits?

Thanks for your help!
More swoop as in it extends further down? So that if you look at it head on the shoulder detail goes all the way to the edge?
I like it as is, and I like the 3mm diamonds as I like how the gentler scallop makes the design more fluid/romantic. Very exciting!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
More swoop as in it extends further down? So that if you look at it head on the shoulder detail goes all the way to the edge?
I like it as is, and I like the 3mm diamonds as I like how the gentler scallop makes the design more fluid/romantic. Very exciting!

I see what you mean about the gentler scallop. I am leaning toward the larger diamonds, but don't want it to be disproportionate and weirdly scaled.

By more swoop I mean in this area.... maybe curve them slightly more?
FullSizeR.jpg

My other thought would be to scrap the above and do something more like the shoulders on this...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/233980426/the-cvb-id-chloe-style-solitaire-diamond

or just super basic like this, but maybe graduated stones...
Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 1.53.57 PM.png

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wonder what the sides you circled would look like with a more "shield" like edges instead of pointy...and maybe getting rid of those two round pieces of metal where it hits the scalloped edges of the halo.

The two round metal pieces seem to work for your second inspo pic because it's not scalloped. Does any of that make sense?

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wonder what the sides you circled would look like with a more "shield" like edges instead of pointy...and maybe getting rid of those two round pieces of metal where it hits the scalloped edges of the halo.

The two round metal pieces seem to work for your second inspo pic because it's not scalloped. Does any of that make sense?
Oooooh good point. Maybe that’s what’s throwing me off...too much roundness. I like the shield idea. Or maybe petals. I saw one he did a long time ago thag looked like two petals and it was lovely- let me see if I can dig it up.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
78917D33-FFAC-4AE5-B163-9E3D0E6B0D84.jpeg Excuse the rubbish photo, but I put these shape diamonds on my shoulders as something a bit different.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooooh good point. Maybe that’s what’s throwing me off...too much roundness. I like the shield idea. Or maybe petals. I saw one he did a long time ago thag looked like two petals and it was lovely- let me see if I can dig it up.

I think either the petal or shield would look great here and even the initial slope of the ring w.o the two scrolls/balls would be fine. My personal opinion is that the two extra scrolls/balls of metal look out of place...maybe have the shank meet lower on the ring so that it doesnt look like its overlapping right onto the scalloped edge like brons ring above?

Just my 2c....this ring will be beautiful! Cant wait to see it completed!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if the purple spot held a marquise? Two side marquises could represent the next to generations descending from grandma.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think either the petal or shield would look great here and even the initial slope of the ring w.o the two scrolls/balls would be fine. My personal opinion is that the two extra scrolls/balls of metal look out of place...maybe have the shank meet lower on the ring so that it doesnt look like its overlapping right onto the scalloped edge like brons ring above?
Agreed I’m going to ask him to nix the scroll/balls. I’m also going to ask him about having the shank meet lower- I think that was one of those things that was bothering me that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. I’d like for it to be a smooth transition up and not have the shoulders competing with the head/top down view.

What if the purple spot held a marquise? Two side marquises could represent the next to generations descending from grandma.
I think that’s a really lovely idea!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm hoping you decided on the larger diamonds because they made me swoon. :kiss2: I love the scalloped halo too.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm hoping you decided on the larger diamonds because they made me swoon. :kiss2: I love the scalloped halo too.
I did! I was really waffling but your comment gave me a confidence boost- you have impeccable taste!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did! I was really waffling but your comment gave me a confidence boost- you have impeccable taste!

Yay! :dance: I can’t wait to see the next round of CADs

Thank you for the compliment. It made my day. :cool2:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay! :dance: I can’t wait to see the next round of CADs

Thank you for the compliment. It made my day. :cool2:
Of course! It’s true though!

How do you feel about the bezel situation? I’ve really been struggling with that....if I scallop/bezel the halo stones, do I also need to bezel the ruby? I don’t want to make it darker than it needs to be, but also wonder if doing one bezel and not the other is incongruous design-wise.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course! It’s true though!

How do you feel about the bezel situation? I’ve really been struggling with that....if I scallop/bezel the halo stones, do I also need to bezel the ruby? I don’t want to make it darker than it needs to be, but also wonder if doing one bezel and not the other is incongruous design-wise.

I'm not a big fan of bezeling the main stone. I find it pretty for other people's rings but just not as much for me. I really don't think you can go wrong either way. Just do what works for you.

For my pink-red spinel ring, I have a scalloped edge with milgrain. I asked for him to give me milgrain around the main stone to tie it all together but you can see it's actually held in with the prongs.
20170823_145700.jpg

This one isn't mine but it was the inspiration for my ring. I actually like the bezel here. It's aesthetically pleasing but not quite what I wanted.
IMG_1893.PNG

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not a big fan of bezeling the main stone. I find it pretty for other people's rings but just not as much for me. I really don't think you can go wrong either way. Just do what works for you.

For my pink-red spinel ring, I have a scalloped edge with milgrain. I asked for him to give me milgrain around the main stone to tie it all together but you can see it's actually held in with the prongs.
20170823_145700.jpg

This one isn't mine but it was the inspiration for my ring. I actually like the bezel here. It's aesthetically pleasing but not quite what I wanted.
IMG_1893.PNG

Ok YES!!! the spinel is perfect and basically exactly what I want. What size are the diamonds in the halo of that one?? It’s perfect!

In an ideal world, I’d have baby OECs in the halo but I’ll live :lol:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok YES!!! the spinel is perfect and basically exactly what I want. What size are the diamonds in the halo of that one?? It’s perfect!

In an ideal world, I’d have baby OECs in the halo but I’ll live :lol:

You and me both, lady. :lol:

I believe they are around 2.4mm. They look bigger in my CAD's (like 2.6mm) but David said 2.4mm so I'm prone to believing him. The size is not posted on my CADs. My spinel is a bit smaller than your ruby at 5.5 x 7mm, if that helps.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You and me both, lady. :lol:

I believe they are around 2.4mm. They look bigger in my CAD's (like 2.6mm) but David said 2.4mm so I'm prone to believing him. The size is not posted on my CADs. My spinel is a bit smaller than your ruby at 5.5 x 7mm, if that helps.

Do you think 3mm will be too large?

I just looked up your thread on the spinel...whoa baby it looks gorgeous on your hand!
....and I really underestimated how large the halo would make it! Your ring looks huge on! I think my fingers are larger than yours so hopefully I can pull it off!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think 3mm will be too large?

I just looked up your thread on the spinel...whoa baby it looks gorgeous on your hand!
....and I really underestimated how large the halo would make it! Your ring looks huge on! I think my fingers are larger than yours so hopefully I can pull it off!

I think it’s going to look great. That just my opinion. My spinel ring is one of my favorites because of that blingy halo. I still think the diamonds are bigger than 2.4 but I’ll try and measure them tomorrow.

My fingers are a 4.75. I checked the CADs and the mm measurements from the halo (not including the shank) are very close to yours. Just over 10mm across. Yours looks about 12mm. Pretty close imo. Hope that helps a little.:D

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is going to be an awesome ring. My question to you is are you going to wear it with a band? If so you need to tell David that. You can see my avatar ring was made by David to be a stand alone ring. If I had to do it all over again (my fault not his) I would have raised it up so that I could wear my diamond bands with it and have them sit flush with the setting.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it’s going to look great. That just my opinion. My spinel ring is one of my favorites because of that blingy halo. I still think the diamonds are bigger than 2.4 but I’ll try and measure them tomorrow.

My fingers are a 4.75. I checked the CADs and the mm measurements from the halo (not including the shank) are very close to yours. Just over 10mm across. Yours looks about 12mm. Pretty close imo. Hope that helps a little.:D
It does help! Thanks again. This is my first truly custom project so I was feeling a little nervy....but finally getting excited now that I feel like things are taking shape!

Thanks for offering to measure the diamonds! The 2mm on the first cad seemed so small but the jump to 3 seems really big- but I feel like asking to drop to 2.5 or whatever is nit picky and I’m not sure how much of a difference .5mm would make IRL.

I think it is going to be an awesome ring. My question to you is are you going to wear it with a band? If so you need to tell David that. You can see my avatar ring was made by David to be a stand alone ring. If I had to do it all over again (my fault not his) I would have raised it up so that I could wear my diamond bands with it and have them sit flush with the setting.
Thank you Lisa! I was kind of torn about this actually. In the very first round of cads he included an option that would allow for flush fit bands, but I opted for the basket style seemed more attractive to me.
It might be nice to wear a band with it, but I don’t feel like I *need* them to fit flush- I like a bit of a gap. However, with this basket style and it being a marquise I’m not sure a band would work at all. I wonder if there’s a way to split the difference?

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for offering to measure the diamonds! The 2mm on the first cad seemed so small but the jump to 3 seems really big- but I feel like asking to drop to 2.5 or whatever is nit picky and I’m not sure how much of a difference .5mm would make IRL.

I would request a rendering in 2.5mm. I was shown a layout of 2.5mm vs 3mm halo/daisy around a 6.9mm stone IRL and I thought the difference is significant.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol and behold, I measured the diamonds this morning and they are exactly what David said. 2.4mm. Don’t know why I’m surprised. They look pretty substantial to me. :lol-2:

Why don’t you ask for a cad comparing 2.5mm to 3mm to see if you prefer something a little smaller. Trust me, it will be a noticeable a difference. Right now, I’m still voting for the 3mm because that CAD looks awesome but I’m willing to reassess. :lol:

Personally, I would wear this without a band. It is definitely a stand alone ring in my book. I like the basket style that you chose. It goes with the rest of the ring beautifully.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love::love::love:

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Alright new cad! Changed to a shield motif.
What do we think?
upload_2018-4-29_7-23-56.jpeg
Love this! Did you request a rendering with 2.5mm halo? I am curious to see how that looks...

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright new cad! Changed to a shield motif.
What do we think?
upload_2018-4-29_7-23-56.jpeg

Hello Gorgeous! :love:
I like the shield look. Good change. Still loving the 3mm diamonds too. :kiss2:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love this! Did you request a rendering with 2.5mm halo? I am curious to see how that looks...
I did- he said he changed it, but I didn’t see it rendered.

Hello Gorgeous! :love:
I like the shield look. Good change. Still loving the 3mm diamonds too. :kiss2:
Me too! I think we’re there! Just need to specify where the milgrain goes and I want to confirm that I can do the shank and shield two tone. Diamonds in the shield or no?

I’m so excited!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the new CADs! It looks so much smoother and less bulky with the new sides! Beautiful! Cant wait to see the finished product!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results