shape
carat
color
clarity

Distraught need Opinion Lab vs Mine grown studs for upgrade

Do I trade in my studs and get lab grown at larger size, keep my studs or trade in my studs and keep

• Keep your current studs as they are big enough and you've enjoyed them for 10 years

Votes: 30 65.2%
  • Trade in your studs + $$$ to get lab grown 3 carat studs and know for ever they are lab grown

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Trade in your studs for little money and keep saving thousands of dollars for earth mined studs

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I 100% trust Yekutiel he will work with in my budget and I can drive into the city to pick them up. Probably mid -end June they will be in my ears. I will definitely post

Have him ship them out of state! Saves sales tax!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have him ship them out of state! Saves sales tax!!

We tend to not recommend people do illegal things like dodging sales tax on this forum. Even if the vendor doesn’t charge sales tax, you still legally owe the use tax in your state. And if you’re in the same state as the vendor, it makes no sense to do.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeukitel is awesome! And he is very aware of “PS quality stones”.

While I haven’t purchased a stone from him. I did buy my wedding band through him. It was a very simple men’s band in the square Euro style. He cut me a phenomenal deal, treated me like VIP and was just super enthusiastic and fun to speak with about diamonds in general.

Plus he has a knack for working on tight budgets. I think you are in very good hands. Wishing you well.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
We tend to not recommend people do illegal things like dodging sales tax on this forum. Even if the vendor doesn’t charge sales tax, you still legally owe the use tax in your state. And if you’re in the same state as the vendor, it makes no sense to do.
NYC sales tax is almost 9%. NJ sales tax is about 6.5% (and I believe some cities have a small addition to it as well). Even done properly, this is a significant savings. I believe OP has stated she lives in NJ, so shipping the items there is not fraudulent. If I am mistaken on OPs state of residence, you'll have to excuse me, it was an honest mistake.

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
@wildcat03 , think you may have misread @distracts ' observation. New Jersey expects its residents to pay Use Tax on any items purchased from an out-of-state merchant where no sales tax was charged or the sales tax paid on the purchase was less than NJ's sales tax:

This is also true throughout the USA -- with a few exceptions like New Hampshire and Delaware.
[/QUOTE

No, I didn't misunderstand.

Tax on a 15000 purchase at 8.875% (NYC sales and use) = 1331.25

Tax on a $15,000 purchase at 6.63% (Jersey City - just an example) = 994.50

Almost $450 saved for having them shipped (again assuming I am remembering correctly that OP lives on NJ)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Almost $450 saved for having them shipped (again assuming I am remembering correctly that OP lives on NJ)

Wildcat did not misunderstand me but if their point in their original post was that there was a sales/use tax difference between the states... that was not made. Usually when people say to ship it out of state to save on sales tax, they mean to avoid it entirely, not to pay what they owe to their state.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can't recall where she lives, but I will say that if I buy an expensive item when visiting a city like NY with high sales tax, I do have the item shipped to my home instead of taking it with me so that I am charged the sales tax rate for my state. So you are correct that even if she drives into the city to see the studs, she should have them shipped to her home in NJ if that's where she lives.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't recall where she lives, but I will say that if I buy an expensive item when visiting a city like NY with high sales tax, I do have the item shipped to my home instead of taking it with me so that I am charged the sales tax rate for my state. So you are correct that even if she drives into the city to see the studs, she should have them shipped to her home in NJ if that's where she lives.

I do the same on personal & business purchases. The personal stuff yields pennies in comparison, but it's more about the mentality of it all. On the business side, it's not uncommon to purchase or lease property to setup temporary material yards and field offices. Simply choosing a property located on the "right" side of the road can yield a windfall of money, especially when you are dealing with projects where materials are in the tens of millions. Those percentages add up fast.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I’m so happy you’ll finally have the pair of studs that you’ve always wanted, can’t wait to to see photos of them when they arrive.

not yet funds almost raised hoping for end of June :) thanks

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
IMG_0741.jpg IMG_0740.jpg
For _hits and giggles I am posting the EGL International and the GIA reports side by side. I know they are hard to read best I can do.
GIA report 6214680923 and GIA 2215680906

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Yes hopefully that happens soon. Have you picked out your new stones? Are you going with WF

I have not picked my new stones. Yekutiel will find for me not ready to pull the trigger need to raise a little more $$$

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

I will drive in pay cash and go home free and clear :) Hence my need to raise funds

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@wildcat03 and @distracts - thanks so much for clarifying what my muddled mind had failed to grasp..

@heididdl - I'm sure the wait is excruciating, but seeing your vision realized will make it worthwhile, and the end of June is merely weeks away!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure you care, but thought I would post the electronic version of the PDF's of the existing stones you had re-graded. I know you took a picture upstream, but they were a little difficult to read.

6214680923.png
2215680906.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results