shape
carat
color
clarity

Dissapointed - Moral Dilema

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Thomperchik

Shiny_Rock
At my job we have end of year reviews that usually determine your pay and promotions for the next year. My ratings were in for my employee''s. My boss called me into his office yesterday and he explained to me that he received an email from his boss stating that everyone''s rating had to go down. Here''s where my moral issue lies. So if you do what you''re expected and go above and beyond, you get a four, if you don''t, you get whatever the next lower number is. So basically his boss wants to bump us down because he was told that 25% of his employee''s had to be X number. So my employee''s included myself worked so hard this year, for what? How do I explain to my employee that he/she performed below what he/she really did? I guess what is really aggravating is that my boss fought it, but he was basically told, "it doesn''t matter what you think, I''ll change it regardless." I have never had so much respect for my boss until I saw him cry. It’s such a let down. Does corporate America have any kind of decency anymore? What have we become?
At the end of the day, should my employee''s including myself stop working so hard for the values that we believe in? Do we just let the company down because our work is not worth what it used to be? So disappointing…
Thanks for letting me vent...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d have a big problem with this. It would make so much more sense for the company to be straightforward and to allow you to tell your employees that the raises cannot be as high as originally expected rather than to fudge the numbers. I have several friends who are being forced to take one unpaid day off per week because companies are facing financial crises and they''d rather keep all their employees than downsize. Surely your employees would rather be told the truth than be told that they underperformed. (This is why I could never work for a corporation. It''s as if they believe people are not intelligent enough to see through the bs.)

I don''t know how you do it. I would be very dissatisfied working for a company like that.

I''m sorry you''re in this dilemma.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
The same thing happened here. We get rated 1 through 5. I have received a 4 since I started here and this year I received a 3, which is average. The 4 would have given me 100% of my bonus plus an additional 10%. With the 3, I received 100%. My boss told me they cut down on the ratings significantly and only 10 employees (out of 1,000) received a 4. Those 10 were VPs and above. They calibrate everyone and this year decided to bump everyone down. It sucks for us especially since our bonuses are tied to the rating but it is what it is. Obviously at my company, this decision was due to $$.

I''m sorry you and your employees went through this. Instead maybe you can show them appreciation by recongizing them for their hard work with a lunch or appreciation cards (we get little recognition cards from our bosses from time to time at staff meetings which is cool) and giving them more assignments or a little empowerment.

Hope your day gets better!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear this for all of you. I just think that is terrible and do agree it would be better to be honest than to tell the employees they are underperforming.

Thomperchik

Shiny_Rock

Haven - Agree with you. They should cut the BS and just be honest with everyone, but they don''t have high enough decency or morals to do so.

Thanks everyone! I definitely will tell them the truth, since I think they deserve it. I bring breakfast every Friday, but I think I will take them out next week.

I think the economy is really hitting everyone. I just don''t think it''s fair to give your CEO $5M, while everyone else gets a salary cut.

Oh well, it is what it is...

April20

Ideal_Rock
Something similar used to happen to me every year when I managed a team in a corporate environment. Ratings went from 1-3, the merit increase directly correlating to the rating. My manager was required to hit an "average" as it related to merit increases. So for instance, if the average was 4%, some might get 2%, some might get 6% but at the end of the day, it all had to average out to 4%. It never failed that I was unable to give someone what they truly deserved because the "average" had to be met. It''s extremely frustrating to work hard yourself, coach your team to perform above and beyond, cheering them on, only to have to tell them you can''t reward them as you would like for their hard work.

That alone is part of why I am extremely glad to no longer be part of a large corporate environment.

I will say I was never, ever asked to change someone''s rating to meet the merit increase average.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This sounds so familiar...and frustrating.
One company I worked at, points were assigned for not missing days, being on time, completing projects and other things.
I always had a score between 98 and 100 and they always kicked it down to 90 because no one could score over 90.
Major goof offs were scoring 89 and 90s and I was working twice as hard as they were because I always was asked to complete their work and they were getting the same score and the same raise as me.
Eventually I didn''t give a woot anymore and it was a large part of why I left when a better offer came along.
It is a major morale buster.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I would give those employees the high score they deserve and let "them" change it.
Take no part in it.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been in this situation before and it stinks. They are basically asking you to lie! I agree with Starset Princess...tell THEM to change it
38.gif

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
They are basically asking you to grade on a curve. There are really two ways to evaluate people - one is against a rubric, and the other is relative to their peers. Sounds like, previously they were using a rubric, but now want you to force rank people.

I don''t think there is anything wrong with telling people, "things are really competitive this year, so only 25%, or 10% or whatever of people can be in the top bucket." As long as you are transparent about it. Sit down and rank all of your employees. This may be tough, but you have to do it. Then, give the VERY top performers the best score, and the next group the "average" score. When you''re talking to your employees, tell them how the rubric has shifted this year, so it is tougher to get in the top bucket. At least this way, you are honest with them, and they know that their performance hasn''t necessarily suffered.

I''m sure all the other managers are struggling with this as well. It''s also not fair if everyone else has to lower their team''s scores and you somehow fight it and it looks like your team is doing better than everyone else. Just something to think about.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2008 11:00:43 AM
Author:Thomperchik

At my job we have end of year reviews that usually determine your pay and promotions for the next year. My ratings were in for my employee's. My boss called me into his office yesterday and he explained to me that he received an email from his boss stating that everyone's rating had to go down. Here's where my moral issue lies. So if you do what you're expected and go above and beyond, you get a four, if you don't, you get whatever the next lower number is. So basically his boss wants to bump us down because he was told that 25% of his employee's had to be X number. So my employee's included myself worked so hard this year, for what? How do I explain to my employee that he/she performed below what he/she really did? I guess what is really aggravating is that my boss fought it, but he was basically told, 'it doesn't matter what you think, I'll change it regardless.' I have never had so much respect for my boss until I saw him cry. It’s such a let down. Does corporate America have any kind of decency anymore? What have we become?
At the end of the day, should my employee's including myself stop working so hard for the values that we believe in? Do we just let the company down because our work is not worth what it used to be? So disappointing…

Well, that just sounds like so much BS. Really. I've been HR before, and I suggest you start making inquiries outside of your job as to what your legal rights might be in this instance. What happens with a bad review? it gives them fodder for a sacking in the future; which is exactly why this is a real problem. Not quite sure if it would fall under EEOC protection, for instance, but I sure would check it out.

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/14/2008 11:00:43 AM
Author:Thomperchik
At my job we have end of year reviews that usually determine your pay and promotions for the next year. My ratings were in for my employee''s. My boss called me into his office yesterday and he explained to me that he received an email from his boss stating that everyone''s rating had to go down. Here''s where my moral issue lies. So if you do what you''re expected and go above and beyond, you get a four, if you don''t, you get whatever the next lower number is. So basically his boss wants to bump us down because he was told that 25% of his employee''s had to be X number. So my employee''s included myself worked so hard this year, for what? How do I explain to my employee that he/she performed below what he/she really did? I guess what is really aggravating is that my boss fought it, but he was basically told, ''it doesn''t matter what you think, I''ll change it regardless.'' I have never had so much respect for my boss until I saw him cry. It’s such a let down. Does corporate America have any kind of decency anymore? What have we become?

At the end of the day, should my employee''s including myself stop working so hard for the values that we believe in? Do we just let the company down because our work is not worth what it used to be? So disappointing…

No, I''m not sure that it ever had any decency, honestly. That''s why I left 2 years ago and I will be HOMELESS on the streets of Chicago before I ever work for another greedy corrupted corporate office/company again.

Ha, sorry.. I''m biased (and angry!!)
38.gif

If I were you I''d tell all my employees about what you were told you had to do, and let them cause an uproar about it. May cost you the job though... so it may not be the greatest idea
40.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to corporate America. I don''t think I have ever worked in a company over the last 15 years where I was expected to make sure that the average was 3%. It is excruciating to have to do the math as you are averaging your employee''s performace ratings. When I was in charge of a larger staff, over 15 people, it was easier to play that game. Now that I have only a few employees under me, I refuse. My staff works harder, and have a much more difficult work load than others in the same pay range, so I give them what they deserve. It usually results in my own performance review taking a hit, depending on who my boss is that year, but I don''t care. I would rather have a great staff and get less of an increase myself, than to short my staff so I get a greater share.

This is the way corporations work. It''s all about the budget, not the people. It sucks. And trust me, Human Resources isn''t going to help you out....I work in HR.
14.gif

I''m sorry that you have to deal with this political crap. Unfortunately, it is the standard operating procedures for most large corporations.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results