shape
carat
color
clarity

Dissapointed by appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dmagic17

Rough_Rock
So I purchased a round solitaire diamond ring from a respected online dealer a few weeks ago.
I took it to jeweler/appraiser today and they told me that in addition to the internal inclusions that made this a GIA rated VS2, there were 3 external inclusions, possible from mounting or improper storage, that would actually make this an SI1 or SI2. I am very disappointed and planned to propose this Friday.
I had decided to sacrifice a little size for quality but apparently its not even that good of quality.
What should I do next? Or is this common when a loose diamond is rated and then mounted?
Or do jeweler/appraisers act like this because you didnt buy it from them?

Thanks.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, don''t know what to say, but good luck. I don''t know how any vendor could argue with that.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/28/2009 1:14:51 PM
Author:dmagic17

It's possible. You wouldn't let a soccer mom from the other team ref your child's game would you?

ETA a suggestion: Can you get them to put it in writing, letting them know you will be sending the evaluation to your seller? That should make the rubber meet the road. If they are willing to stand behind the assessment on-record it may have teeth.

This may be a good read as you decide to move fwd:

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/58/1/%e2%80%9cAppraise-the-Appraiser%e2%80%9d---Help-for-Consumers.aspx

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI all,
I LOVE John''s soccer mom analogy!

dmagic17- it''s regretfully common for a seller to knock another''s wares.
I''d like to understand what type of "improper storage" they are referring to specifically.
I mean, we keep all our diamond rings in the trash compactor to save space, could that cause a problem, you think?
31.gif

Seriously, it does sound entirely possible that they are knocking your purchase out of malicious reasons.

dmagic17

Rough_Rock
As a side not, theres no chance they would have swapped stones right? I mean it took like 20 mins and I was watching for the most part, although he did disappear in the back for a few mins. Im just being paranoid (about that part) right?

In all seriousness though - what would be the next logical thing to do? Call seller today and explain situation? Wait for full report and then call seller? Ask for price reduction or stone replacement?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2009 1:32:26 PM
Author: dmagic17
As a side not, theres no chance they would have swapped stones right? I mean it took like 20 mins and I was watching for the most part, although he did disappear in the back for a few mins. Im just being paranoid (about that part) right?

In all seriousness though - what would be the next logical thing to do? Call seller today and explain situation? Wait for full report and then call seller? Ask for price reduction or stone replacement?
Its very unlikely that the jeweller would have swapped out the diamond. It is very possible we have a conflict of interest here and that is what is influencing his assessment, it is far preferable to have an appraisal performed by someone who does not sell diamonds so if you can find a truly independant appraiser to look at the diamond that would be the best thing to do.

Appraiser tool.

Also you could counter using John's suggestion of asking them to put their findings in writing and that you will be contacting the seller concerning this matter, see what they say to that - if they would prefer not to do this then it might be an indication that there is some bias colouring their opinion.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/28/2009 1:32:26 PM

Stone-swapping would be easy to verify by comparing the plot to the diamond's inclusions.

Something that bothered me...to say a VS2 was reduced to SI level by "external" factors would require chipping at girdle or culet, or something else major. Did they show you this under the microscope? While it's possible for polish to be affected by improper storage or setting, a lowering of the clarity grade - esp two levels - implies something major.

To me it would be logical to first ask this jeweler to put these things (all of them) in writing and sign it. At that point you can either contact the seller - be sure to scan the written evaluation and send it to him/her - and see what they say.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/28/2009 1:30:14 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
HI all,
31.gif

My nieces are in the throes of young-person soccer. I used to think the stories were just stories...

dmagic17

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help. I found an appraiser through the Pricescope tool that I had actually considered going to in the first place but it was a little too far. So I''ll get a report from today''s guy and keep it in my back pocket, get another appraisal from unbiased appraiser, and take it from there. In the meantime, I''m still going to propose on Friday.
This plan sound good?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/28/2009 2:35:03 PM
Thanks for the help. I found an appraiser through the Pricescope tool that I had actually considered going to in the first place but it was a little too far. So I''ll get a report from today''s guy and keep it in my back pocket, get another appraisal from unbiased appraiser, and take it from there.

In the meantime, I''m still going to propose on Friday.

This plan sound good?
Yes - especially the highlighted. Let us know how it goes.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sounds like a GREAT plan dmagic!

I''m with John- let us know how it goes!

PS- from the sound of it, there''s no way your stone was switched- of course have it checked, but doesn''t sound like that happened.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2009 1:14:51 PM
Author:dmagic17
So I purchased a round solitaire diamond ring from a respected online dealer a few weeks ago.
I took it to jeweler/appraiser today and they told me that in addition to the internal inclusions that made this a GIA rated VS2, there were 3 external inclusions, possible from mounting or improper storage, that would actually make this an SI1 or SI2. I am very disappointed and planned to propose this Friday.
I had decided to sacrifice a little size for quality but apparently its not even that good of quality.
What should I do next? Or is this common when a loose diamond is rated and then mounted?

Thanks.
Sounds like b.s. to me. (The SI1-SI2 external blemishes thing).

Going ahead and getting engaged sounds good. Go for it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2009 2:35:03 PM
Thanks for the help. I found an appraiser through the Pricescope tool that I had actually considered going to in the first place but it was a little too far. So I''ll get a report from today''s guy and keep it in my back pocket, get another appraisal from unbiased appraiser, and take it from there. In the meantime, I''m still going to propose on Friday.
This plan sound good?
Absolutely!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree, this sounds highly suspicious to me too. The ‘external inclusion’ that would drop a VS2 to an SI2 is called a chip and although this is definitely possible during setting, this would also definitely be fighting words to the jeweler who set it and the appraiser surely knows this. This is not one of those subtle grading questions - it's busted or it's not, and you can tell by looking. Any appraiser worth their salt that’s going to tell a client this will also be sure that the client understands exactly what is being said so that there’s no confusion when they go back and start the fight with the seller over it. They did put this in writing and sign it, right? If so, make sure to read the report completely and then present it to the seller and ask them about it. If not, insist that they do so. Without it they have not completed the appraisal assignment.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/28/2009 1:30:14 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
HI all,

dmagic17- it''s regretfully common for a seller to knock another''s wares.

I''d like to understand what type of ''improper storage'' they are referring to specifically.

I mean, we keep all our diamond rings in the trash compactor to save space, could that cause a problem, you think?
31.gif

Seriously, it does sound entirely possible that they are knocking your purchase out of malicious reasons.

I totally laughed at that analogy. Before I entered the business professionally I had a huge problem with other jewelers not being impartial with pieces or stones that were not their own. From my perspective it seems somewhat common.

--Joshua

ct-appr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It really does sound like sour grapes.

dmagic17

Rough_Rock
UPDATE: so I met with an independent appraiser with N.A.J.A. as recommended above. He was able to get me in this afternoon which is great because I plan on proposing tonight. Anyway, he appraised the diamond and then I told him what the other appraiser said and asked him to look for the same thing. He laughed at everything the other guy said and said this ring is textbook VS2 and everything else in the seller's description was spot on. Said I got an excellent deal on the stone and the other guy surely had sour grapes. He couldn't even find what the other guy was talking about. I could call the other guy out, but I might just chalk this one up as a learning experience. Thanks everyone for your help and comments and wish me luck tonight! Have a great Halloween weeekend

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great! Good luck for tonight. :)

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
and here''s to useful second opinions!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2009 1:30:42 PM
Author: Regular Guy
and here''s to useful second opinions!
Ditto!!

Now you can propose with peace of mind. Tell us how it goes!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results