shape
carat
color
clarity

Display Case - Loose stone adhesion question...

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
I am not sure if this belongs here; but wasn't sure where else to pose my question.

I have found some very nice display cases, like ones you would use for say an insect collection; glass topped and hidged. I would like to put my loose gemstones in said case; adheared to fabric/batting that I am going to put down in the case with the Mohs information, stone name, RI etc information below it like you would see in a musem; but I want them to appear to be floating and yet have the ability to be removed without residue so if I choose to set a stone, I can.. and they will be hanging on a wall as art.... SO what i'm looking for is a type of adhesive that is strong enough yet temporary and will not leave a residue? Suggestions?

Here is a link to the type of display box...

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=16643955&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping

Thanks in advance...

rparker1998
(2 More lessions until I take my final for AJP!)

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Is this not a good idea to try and even attempt? I have thought about using Gemjars; but it wouldn't give me the same affect.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason to use gem jars is to isolate the gems from each other, and I have one of those insect cases,and my suspicion is that the gems would move around in there. You also should never use a glass top against stones that are softer than a 7 on the Moh's scale.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, you picked a tough one..."sticking" something to batting without a pin involved won't be easy. You don't want to mess up the gemstone, and you want it to "float" in position and not fall off.

Couple of thoughts...

It is unclear how the batting is mounted in the box...will it hold the weight of several gemstones?

Some glues and substances might leave a coating on the back of the gemstones

Things that come to mind and potential issues:

blu-tac...might hold but would show through the gemstone as would similar putty-like substances

dab of clear silicone...still would show, may leave a coating of oily substance on the gemstone when removed (I used it in aquariums to hold cork...tough to stick to non-flat surfaces). May not stick to the batting.

Acrylic glue...would stick to the stone, but not the batting.

Those 3m sticky strips that are used for wall hooks...may be just enough stick to hold a gem against the glass if there is enough pressure and thickness behind it.

It's a similar problem to displaying the flies that fishermen tie...you might consider velvet over foam. Lay the gemstones on the velvet over their tags, and gently lay the glass over the top and then lift. May need to tape the glass layer to a firm cardboard or tagboard behind the display to keep the pressure on the stones.

Hmmm...how about a tiny square of foam "shelf" that the gemstone can sit on top of? (still have the issue of gluing in the foam and keeping the stone from popping off the shelf.

Hmmmm again...actually, they make a foam "body" which is a shaped cylinder of foam, perhaps something like that might support the stone and look like a "mount". Search on "foam popper body" for an idea of what I am talking about. They are a bit like those foam pencil grips you see at the office supply store only a bit more substantial.

I am not sure any of these ideas are useful...the safest idea is velvet over foam, I think...with the cautions about softer stones. The make UV protective plexi that may be a bit softer than glass.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Quick hijack - rparker1998

I have one lesson left and then I, too, take my final for the AJP. We're "virtually" classmates! Best of luck to you! I am going to pursue the Gemologist (online) and then the Graduate Gemologist program once I can get to CA or NY for the lab classes.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
SO what i'm looking for is a type of adhesive that is strong enough

Your adhesive idea is going to create an optical problem: any point where the adhesive touches the gem, a window will appear.

Gemstones are cut to reflect light from the bottom of the gem back through the table. This reflection depends on a considerable refractive difference between the gem (let's say R.I. = 1.6) and the air at R.I. = 1.0. When you place the glue (let's say R.I. = 1.5), you have very little refractive index difference between the glue and the stone. The light will shoot right through the gem, into the glue and will not return.

A better idea might be more batting behind the gem, until it presses against the front glass. The batting can work because there is considerable air between the batting and the gemstone, preserving the refractive difference between air (1.0) and the gem (1.6).

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Those rio grande boxes are nice looking!

Laura

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Tanzigrrl said:
Quick hijack - rparker1998

I have one lesson left and then I, too, take my final for the AJP. We're "virtually" classmates! Best of luck to you! I am going to pursue the Gemologist (online) and then the Graduate Gemologist program once I can get to CA or NY for the lab classes.

Nice :) Gratz!

I too am going to pursue Gemologist onlne then do the Labs to get the GG after. I am hoping to schedule all the labs back to back - as I will have to fly and stay in either CA or NY.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Arcadian said:
how about these?

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea...isplay&category|cat_100|136=Gemstone+Displays

They also have these

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea...isplay&category|cat_100|136=Gemstone+Displays

Oh yeah, one more thing, Jtv has something called gemview. It may be worth a look over there as well.

-A

Thanks for the links.

The first one, i'm not crazy about the look of it and not sure how it would look mounted - a tad too industrial I think. But Thanks!

Second one, I have some of those now - and i HATE them. They never stay shut after you open them 3 or more time...(I play with my pretties often )

THe Gemview cases are EXPENSIVE and I'd need 100 of them :)

Again, I thank you for the suggestions!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rparker1998 said:
Arcadian said:
how about these?

They also have these

Oh yeah, one more thing, Jtv has something called gemview. It may be worth a look over there as well.

-A

Thanks for the links.

The first one, i'm not crazy about the look of it and not sure how it would look mounted - a tad too industrial I think. But Thanks!

Second one, I have some of those now - and i HATE them. They never stay shut after you open them 3 or more time...(I play with my pretties often )

THe Gemview cases are EXPENSIVE and I'd need 100 of them :)

Again, I thank you for the suggestions!

NP. I honestly can't think of anything else! Mr Z's suggestion on the batting is probably the only one that makes sense if you like to take them out often.

suggestions I mentioned are no doubt best if you don't tend to play with your stones(much..lol)

-A

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Not a gemcase, but the way the Natural History Museum in London mounts their cut gemstones (and the way the Aurora Coloured Diamond Collection is done) is to put them on pins in a case - the pins are of varying heights so they create a nice display. Doesn't seem to create windows or problems with adhesive - I would guess they use a dab of jewellers wax or something.

Good luck on the GG. I've just completed the first part of my FGA - was very happy to get 93% as the theory papers were nasty - and started the final year classes a few weeks ago... exams in June 11 and then I'm qualified!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many of my older gem cases have stiff foam beneath their velvet that works well for keeping stones in place: you just have to press hard enough to get the culet to make a little nest for itself. None of my big boxes of this sort are glass-fronted, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to jury-rig: my local supply houses are usually pretty happy to sell the foam or whatnot separately. If you're in NY, I'd recommend Zak on 47th ....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results