shape
carat
color
clarity

Discoloration under my band!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mishelly

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I have a newish (1.5 yrs new) 14 k yellow gold wedding band with 5 diamonds, and a 5 stone OMC engagement ring that is a family heirloom combo.

Link to pics:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-of-my-omc-oec-ering.51054/=

The ering stones were set in white gold heads and placed on my deceased father's yellow wedding band, which was trimmed down to look dainty, and the 5 OMC's were added to it. There's no stamp inside my dad's ring to tell the karat of the gold. Soooo...ever since I've had the ering, I get a greyish mark on my hand under the band, and also on my pinky, unless I scrub the ring every day. I sometimes still get this mark, despite the gentle scrubbing with a baby tooth brush/steaming/sitting in near boiling water, etc. I've had it prof cleaned several times and within a day this occurs again. This leads me to believe that my body's having a chemical reaction to the gold (I can't tolerate any earrings at all--infection almost immediately-- but don't have a reaction to gold necklaces, etc). So, any suggestions as to what I can get done to my ring to stop this from happening? I am not opposed to having my ring dipped in something that is long lasting -- some sort of palladium/rhodium/??? type dipping--, nor do I care if it stays yellow gold or if it changes to a 'white' look. If I do get it dipped or something, I want it to be the most resilient, long lasting product out there haha as I wear my rings all the time. I've heard white gold plating (is it just rhodium?) is not the best as it must get redipped frequently.
All I want is for the greyish band under my rings to go away! The only thing I won't do is get a new e-ring band b/c of sentimental reasons. What could/should I consider?

One last q: b/c my OMC diamonds are of a softer colour (K) would a whiter band make them look like they have less colour to them? I often thing the yellow gold makes them reflect back more yellow than it should.

Thanks bunches in advance!!
mishelly

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Strange.

It is possible there is an electrolytic reaction between the 2 metals if one (your Dad''s?) is vastly different carat. But unusual.

I suggest you have the inside of your ring rhodium plated - just the parts that contact you skin and give that a try.

And do let us know what happens

mishelly

Rough_Rock
Garry--the discolouration occured even before I had my w-band, so I don't think it's a reaction between the 2 metals. There's something up with the gold of the e-ring, argghh!
And if I just had the inside rhodium plated, I suspect I'd still get a grey mark on my pinky and middle finger where the outside of the band touches those fingers. Hmmmm.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
My original yellow gold wedding rings turned my gray/black when I got stressed. Could it be a body chemical reaction to a alloys in the metal?

mishelly

Rough_Rock
I suppose that is quite likely -- I am a stressed out person by nature, always have been! So...what next? If someone has a chemical reaction to the alloys of the metal in the ring, what can be done? Should/could it dipped/plated/??/etc in something that is less likely to cause this, like platinum/palladium/rhodium?

My (deceased) father''s band, now my band was bought in 1978. Was older y/g more likely to cause this reaction, or does it have diff alloys than new y/g?

Also, does anyone have an opinion as to whether going with a ''white'' band (through dipping etc) will enhance the colour in my diamond, or would it help reduce the colour, making it appear to be a better colour grade? I searched the archives and read conflicting information :) So I''d love to hear some personal stories about having a more colourful stone (say K and down) with a platinum, palladium, w/gold, rhodium-type setting.
I really appreciate your input!

mishelly

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results