shape
carat
color
clarity

disappointed with ring

Pandar0ck

Rough_Rock
So I received my custom e-ring in the mail, but feel disappointed with the outcome. Although it looked great in pictures, it did not turn out the way I expected when I saw it in person. First, I wanted the band to be about 2.3mm but it is measured at 2.5, but I suppose that's understandable since it was handcrafted so you have to leave some buffer, although I wish it was thinner than it is. Second, there are some scratches on the platinum band. I know platinum can scratch easily, but come on, it's brand new and it has scratches already?? Third (and most disheartening), the ring practically fits my own finger. I asked for a 5.25 ring size, I got a 6.5 (based on several jewelers' measurements). I don't know how this vendor could have messed up the size that bad. I was told that if I got the ring resized from 6.5 to 5.25, it would greatly distort the ring, creating an oval shape. How true is this? With all the aforementioned in mind, I wouldn't feel good having them try to "fix" it. I'd rather have them just start over again. Is that something a customer should expect? I am very disappointed and sad. Now I will have to delay my proposal to at least another couple months b/c my gf is leaving town for a while.

PONYO

Rough_Rock
Oh I'm sorry your custom ring is nothing like you asked. Is there a grace period to have the ring shipped back and fixed to your standards? Messing up the ring size by that much is unacceptable!

Pandar0ck

Rough_Rock
PONYO said:
Is there a grace period to have the ring shipped back and fixed to your standards?

Yes, 15 days, but normally no returns/exchanges for custom jewelry. But my case is different since they messed up on the size. I want to know if they will start the ring from scratch or attempt to resize the ring from 6.5 to 5.25. I will call them later, but just wanted to get opinions from PSers.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Should start from scratch.

boingyman

Rough_Rock
I would hope they start it from scratch.

Do you mind saying what vendor you worked with on your custom?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Pandar0ck

Rough_Rock
boingyman said:

It would be unfair of me to publicly announce that. Most people rave about their experiences with this particular vendor. I am hoping I am just the rare and unlucky client. If you really want to know, you can PM me.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandar0ck said:
boingyman said:

It would be unfair of me to publicly announce that. Most people rave about their experiences with this particular vendor. I am hoping I am just the rare and unlucky client. If you really want to know, you can PM me.

Wait and see how it is resolved. If not to your liking, then post the name. Even the best PS vendors make mistakes. The test of a good vendor, in my opinion, is how the handle situations like yours where an error was made. This should be resolved to your satisfaction with no additional cost to you, assuming the facts are exactly as you describe (i.e., you did not scratch the ring but it came that way, the size is off from what you requested, band too thick).

By the way, I would go ahead and propose. Are you sure about her ring size? Then you could send the ring for fixing later, or she can do it while she is away.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Sorry you are disappointed with the custom ring.

I agree that she should try on the ring before you send it back to be redone. That way the size can be double-checked. You wouldn't want to have to remake it again.

Go ahead with the proposal, and move on with your lives. Your future together is more important than waiting for a ring vendor.

Good luck.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. Send it back and demand they start from scatch! This is very important - they must do as you ask NOT just "close enough is good enough". They also should fix at their own expense as it was not what you ordered. Good luck!

realtanu

Rough_Rock
Pandar0ck said:
boingyman said:

I'm not 100%, but I don't believe you can private message (as I've trying to figure out how to do so). And as I am in the market for a custom ring, knowing who the vendor is would be extremely helpful to me (and knowing how they deal with what seems like a pretty big mistake, including band width). **Edited by moderator. Please read the PS policies**

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ical-question-please-feel-free-to-move.86569/

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
A good jeweller will try to make things right for you as long as you are open in your communications and describe exactly what you are unhappy about. The vendors recommended on PS are not perfect but one thing most of them do is provide good after sales service. I actually had a similar experience (not as bad though) and the jeweller did the right thing.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Pandar0ck said:
boingyman said:

Most of the PS vendors are very conscientious about their work and would want to correct a mistake in sizing or major blemish on their work. The trusted vendors also know that sizing up or down more than a whole size could affect the shape of the ring.

Best to contact the vendor. Do you have the original paperwork that specifies the requested ring size?

mr.ingocnito

Rough_Rock
I don't want to say, but I think I know what vendor you are talking about from what you said regarding their policy. If this is true I am also purchasing a ring from them as well and they will soon be working on my ring. This is slightly concerning and I will be sure to finalize the exact specs I want even though it's already assumed.

Good luck and I hope it turns out great.

boingyman

Rough_Rock
Pandar0ck said:
boingyman said:

IMO all experiences should be shared, whether good or bad. It keeps things realistic and it can only improve future clients buying experiences. Even the best of vendors make mistakes, it's how they handle and resolve the situation at the end that's most important.

I would love to PM you, but I have no idea how to.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is no way to PM on Pricescope, so as to avoid under the table dealings, etc.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
I think I know who you're working with as well -- and I've been sized at like 10 stores at this point and their sizing was the smallest by about 1.25-1.75 sizes. I've been told pretty consistently that I'm a 5.5-6, with 5.5 coming from Michael C Fina, most other places saying 5.75, and just one saying a 6 (it was over 100 degrees and 90% humidity that day).

The place we're going with for our custom work said... 4.75! I feel your pain OP... <knocks on wood>.

XtremeSki2001

Rough_Rock
I just now realized who the vendor is, too. 15-days is a really tight policy. I guess if I go with them I need to propose as soon as I get it :lickout:

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear the of your disappointment...
Sounds like you have reason to be upset.

I'd certainly ask for it to be redone.

Good luck, keep us posted.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
If it is who I think it is, I am sorta confused how they messed up. Isn't it CAD and CAST? Did you approve the CADs?

Rough_Rock
Ditto!
I also had a very similar situation from the SAME vendor. I ordered a size 6.5 diamond engagement ring but instead received a size 6. I am still within the 15 days return period. She is willing to re-size the brand new engagement ring to a size 6.5 but I do not want that. My girlfriend doesn’t like getting anything altered. In the past, we had a Tiffany & Co. ring and it was resized and it changed the shape. This is a brand new ring made into a size 6 instead of size 6.5. Also I took the ring to two jewelers and they confirmed the height of the ring according to their website should have been 1.6mm but measures only 1mm.

Never once did the ring company apologize. I am more sad and disappointed that they did not even apologize rather than the error occurring itself. But instead just responded with excuses. Enough with all the excuses- just own up to the mistake and apologize. I care less that they can fix the problem-any company can do that; I care more that they didn’t apologize for the error. I have all the exchanged emails and pictures. I do not want to disclose the company name, but we wouldn’t be nearly as upset if we had just gotten a simple apology. I work in customer service at a retail store and the first thing the corporation trains us to do before anything else if a customer complains is to apologize (how many of us can relate as a customer anywhere that if the employee apologizes it can make things better? Then afterwards, the employee can try to remedy the problem.
Reflecting now on my experience, I realized I never received a thank you either for my purchases. I understand things get left out but I feel it is a basic part of customer service (and in life at that matter) to be able to say I’m sorry and to say Thank you when appropriate.

I will not disclose the name of the company but I will disclose the amount of cash spent on them. Total cost for all jewelry involved is about $20,000 total. Believe me: I did not get a Thank you nor an apology. My sister works at the local flea market and I’m sure I can get a Thank you even I spend only $0.99! The ring is too tight. The height of the ring according their website should be close to 1.6mm but we took it to 2 different jewelers and it measures only 1mm (…hmmm…what’s going on here?) Once again, it is the principle of thanking and apologizing to others when it is due. If spending $20,000 counts for anything at all then, yeah, add that fact in there too.

Because it is a new company and are very busy, for future customers please remind them several times of the details of your order as to avoid this situation.

Another example, we also ordered a set of 4 prong earrings but received a 3 prong. Of course they tried to change it to a 4 prong but again never apologized but instead responded that the invoice stated 3 prong martini…..but they figured out later after I sent them the exchanged emails requesting the 4 prong, that they printed the wrong item on the invoice and thus the wrong item was sent to me! Apology after all that? Of course not. But I have to say they did offer to fix the problem. I don’t get it. Is it too difficult to apologize for your error or are they too afraid to apologize??? I mean we both knew that it was their error in the end, but still no apology??? If they had apologized each time and thanked me, no matter the mistakes, I would’ve been able to look the other way (b/c we’ve all made mistakes) and in the end they would’ve still won me over with their earnest integrity.

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Ditto!
I also had a very similar situation from the SAME vendor. I ordered a size 6.5 diamond engagement ring but instead received a size 6. I am still within the 15 days return period. She is willing to re-size the brand new engagement ring to a size 6.5 but I do not want that. My girlfriend doesn’t like getting anything altered. In the past, we had a Tiffany & Co. ring and it was resized and it changed the shape. This is a brand new ring made into a size 6 instead of size 6.5. Also I took the ring to two jewelers and they confirmed the height of the ring according to their website should have been 1.6mm but measures only 1mm.

Never once did the ring company apologize. I am more sad and disappointed that they did not even apologize rather than the error occurring itself. But instead just responded with excuses. Enough with all the excuses- just own up to the mistake and apologize. I care less that they can fix the problem-any company can do that; I care more that they didn’t apologize for the error. I have all the exchanged emails and pictures. I do not want to disclose the company name, but we wouldn’t be nearly as upset if we had just gotten a simple apology. I work in customer service at a retail store and the first thing the corporation trains us to do before anything else if a customer complains is to apologize (how many of us can relate as a customer anywhere that if the employee apologizes it can make things better? Then afterwards, the employee can try to remedy the problem.
Reflecting now on my experience, I realized I never received a thank you either for my purchases. I understand things get left out but I feel it is a basic part of customer service (and in life at that matter) to be able to say I’m sorry and to say Thank you when appropriate.

I will not disclose the name of the company but I will disclose the amount of cash spent on them. Total cost for all jewelry involved is about $20,000 total. Believe me: I did not get a Thank you nor an apology. My sister works at the local flea market and I’m sure I can get a Thank you even I spend only $0.99! The ring is too tight. The height of the ring according their website should be close to 1.6mm but we took it to 2 different jewelers and it measures only 1mm (…hmmm…what’s going on here?) Once again, it is the principle of thanking and apologizing to others when it is due. If spending $20,000 counts for anything at all then, yeah, add that fact in there too.

Because it is a new company and are very busy, for future customers please remind them several times of the details of your order as to avoid this situation.

Another example, we also ordered a set of 4 prong earrings but received a 3 prong. Of course they tried to change it to a 4 prong but again never apologized but instead responded that the invoice stated 3 prong martini…..but they figured out later after I sent them the exchanged emails requesting the 4 prong, that they printed the wrong item on the invoice and thus the wrong item was sent to me! Apology after all that? Of course not. But I have to say they did offer to fix the problem. I don’t get it. Is it too difficult to apologize for your error or are they too afraid to apologize??? I mean we both knew that it was their error in the end, but still no apology??? If they had apologized each time and thanked me, no matter the mistakes, I would’ve been able to look the other way (b/c we’ve all made mistakes) and in the end they would’ve still won me over with their earnest integrity.

I am sorry for what you have been through...gosh, 20K and the work is messed up, and no sorry!!!!
I do not believe it will do any one good hiding the name, it is important to disclose it so no one else falls in the trap, you will do those future victims a favor by disclosing the name, you owe them that much!
Sorry again for what you have been through but you sounded sincere even if it is the first post for you!

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
I think many of us *think* we know who this vendor is, but for any of you who have written about your experiences with them, do they allow you to try on the wax cast if it is a custom ring? I am thinking of using them too, and have a 9.75, which I would REALLY like to try on first. Have any of you heard of this being allowed?

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Anne :) said:
I think many of us *think* we know who this vendor is, but for any of you who have written about your experiences with them, do they allow you to try on the wax cast if it is a custom ring? I am thinking of using them too, and have a 9.75, which I would REALLY like to try on first. Have any of you heard of this being allowed?

There is an easier way, if you can buy the finger size kit from e bay i guess it is 5-10$ , wear the size you think is proper two to three days so you will get the variation of the fluid retention that every human has through out those days. then when you think it is the proper size send it to them by mail, that will take the guessing away.

slyons29

Rough_Rock
I do think that you just "outed" the vendor by referring them to as a "new company". I think there is a lot of speculation here that might be confusing to people if A) you don't decide to say the vendors name and B) if people continue to speculate.

I am so sorry your custom ring isn't what you had hoped -- I would venture that proposing quickly and seeing how the rings fits is your first line of defense. If it isn't perfect, that a complete redo is in order!!

Good luck and can't wait to hear that she has said YES!

mr.ingocnito

Rough_Rock
The original poster said 15 day return policy and no return on custom rings. So let's break down some popular vendors return policies

WF = 30 day return on their ACA and ES. 10 day retun on their premium and virutual selection.

GOG = 30 day return policy for internet sales.

BGD = 15 day return policy.

JA = 30 day return policy.

ERD = 14 day return policy.

BN = 30 day return policy.

HPD = 21 day return policy.

ED = 15 day return policy

I know there are other vendors, but these are some popular ones on PS. Any other vendors with 15 day return policies?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
NOT cool, I would be very upset... :nono:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
slyons29 said:
I think there is a lot of speculation here that might be confusing to people if A) you don't decide to say the vendors name and B) if people continue to speculate.

ditto this! I think it is TOTALLY ok to name the vendor, PS is a consumer forum and it helps everyone to hear about experiences, good and bad

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think many of us has already guessed the vendor even without the layout of the return policies (could be guessing wrong which is no benefit to anyone). While I don't think this vendor actively posts on PS, I believe public clarification on the sizing / qa issues will be beneficial to all of us. I know I am a bit scared off based on the two cases discussed here and an explanation will give me comfort. A beautiful ring that does not fit is no good to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results