shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed with my ring :(

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I received my 1.51 solitaire from them today after waiting with baited breath. I open the box in the fedex parking lot and the first thing I notice is 3 white inclusions on the table of the stone. I was told and even confirmed that the stone was eye clean. Now I am mad that it is not because I have to return it. Is my understanding of what eye clean means misunderstood? What do they gain from misleading me on this? Help me understand :((

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Disappointed with IDJ :(

I can imagine how excited you were to get it, then totally disappointed. I would be! I'm sorry it wasn't eye clean and I hope they resolve it fast. :nono:

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

And less mad more sad...it is a nice cut and the setting is so pretty, though the stone is a bit warmer than expected due to it being egl but I was told that it is completely eye clean. Obviously it is not, I didn't even need to search for it :(.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Aww that sucks. Call them, explain, return, and start over :(

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would stick with GIA/AGS.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I recommend that you do not buy any diamond with under table inclusions. For me, that is the deal killer. Sorry!

I had the same experience with a diamond from BGD where it was eye clean to them but I saw the inclusion on the table the instant I opened the box. Lighting as well as personal eye sight matters. That is why you cannot take another's word for eye clean. Either stick with VS2 or better OR just assume that you will need to see any/all diamonds yourself before you get mentally attached to them.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a bummer. Are you sure they are inclusions, and not water spots or smudges or something?

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

YES definite inclusions, one looks like a feather, and the other two carbon spots.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry you have to hassle with this.

What was the clarity grade and which lab graded it?

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

SI1, EGL, so I mean I knew it might be 1-2 grades off but I figured I found a diamond in the rough, no pun intended, and when it was confirmed twice that it was "completely" eye clean I figured I was good to go.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AllieLuv83|1328229520|3117825 said:

OUCH!

Yeah, better to stick to AGS/GIA if you don't want to get pinched.
And eye-clean is not an absolute thing.
People's visions varies so I'd not really be too hard on IDJ.

Ouch500.jpg

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

I understand that peoples vision is different, I guess I felt like I could trust a well known vendor to tell me that if it is indeed eye clean that is actually is.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock

AllieLuv83|1328230091|3117834 said:
I understand that peoples vision is different, I guess I felt like I could trust a well known vendor to tell me that if it is indeed eye clean that is actually is.
In my experience unfortunately you can't. GOG sent me a ring that was supposedly eye clean at three inches and I could see inclusions at 12 inches! And they didn't tell me about a table inclusion. So I was disappointed and out shipping charges there and back. I'm sorry though and I know how that feels.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Allie, it happened to me too. It very well might have been "eye clean" to them or to another person. With SI2 or I1 stones, YOU have to see it to judge. If you had asked us here before yo uhad it sent out, we would have told you the same thing: Good potential, you need to see to be sure.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is no actually here, precisely because people's vision varies.
It is entirely possible that your vision is better than that of anyone at the vendor.

It is possible the vendor did nothing wrong here.
You expecting an EGL SI1 to be eye clean (to anyone) is wishful thinking and like DD said if you posted your hopes for this we would have warned you so be sure you see it before setting it.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

okay my fault...you live you learn. I guess the only thing I will out of is shipping back to them.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

AllieLuv83|1328231996|3117869 said:
okay my fault...you live you learn. I guess the only thing I will out of is shipping back to them.
I know this is industry standard but it does really burn my britches. If you guarantee me a certain thing, and it's not true, you should pay for shipping.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock

I don't know I think sometimes a vendor can make a mistake but more often I think they are trying to pull something. Like of course if I can see an inclusion with my vision corrected eyesight at 12 inches how on earth can't you when you sell jewelry for a living? And a scratch on the tablet, after numerous calls/e-mails in my case, not to mention it? I just think it is BS. But then again you can either decide to give it another go with that vendor or take your business elsewhere. I'm still annoyed at being out shipping - annoyed enough that I might just never shop with them again despite them having some things I'm very tempted by.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissStepcut|1328232994|3117886 said:
I know this is industry standard but it does really burn my britches. If you guarantee me a certain thing, and it's not true, you should pay for shipping.

Yes, I have fought companies in the past over this.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Laila619|1328237049|3117964 said:
MissStepcut|1328232994|3117886 said:

Yes, I have fought companies in the past over this.

I do agree. It is annoying.

I don't think it is your fault Allie, just don't know if it is IDJ "fault" either. It is a tough situation IMO because there is no standard really, not CAN there be because people's vision differs as does their manner of examining diamonds. Vendors try and I think they actually tell us the eye clean status in good faith. But really, there are so many caveats to that claim. And though me, and Laila, and winter all had experiences where we say inclusions in stones claimed to be eye clean, another person would not see them. I bet the stones we sent back were later sold, I know mine was! So what is a vendor to do -- err on the side of caution and say "You might see something" or use a certain definition and risk us sending it back? I they are too strict they will scare off some buyers who are less picky, and if not strict enough then we get POd.

My adice: If you are trying to save money by buying an SI1 or SI2 stone then you need to eat your lumps and accept that you might need to send a stone back. That is the price of buying online (and saving) and buying lower clarity (and saving).

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

can you see it?

ring-100.jpg

marygrace

Shiny_Rock

AllieLuv83|1328238126|3117979 said:
can you see it?

OMG yes.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock

Yes I can see it.

I think alot of times vendors just send it out thinking well good enough maybe she won't see or care about the inclusion once she has the stone. I was so annoyed at GOG I almost did a chargeback on my credit card. I'm an attorney, but I decided it wasn't worth any more of my time and when I was looking for diamond studs where they might have made the top of my vendor list I ended up giving JBEG a try --- and I have to say JBEG was awesome in their description and nitpicky attention to detail. So in the end at least GOG got shipping fees and JBEG got my business + (hopefully!) some future business.

With GOG felt lied to - it was so ridiculous just tell me what the problems are and let me make an informed decision. I also loathe going to the post office and had to make two trips to mail the item back (the post office in the city is a mess...)

Anyways, sorry to be dramatic! It still annoys me. Why not e-mail or call IDJ and see what they say and if they can make it up to you? I'm not saying that in all cases the vendor is trying to pull something, but I think how they react now when you confront them will say worlds about the type of vendor they are and the type of service you can expect from them.

marygrace

Shiny_Rock

winternight|1328238856|3117988 said:
With GOG felt lied to - it was so ridiculous just tell me what the problems are and let me make an informed decision. I also loathe going to the post office and had to make two trips to mail the item back (the post office in the city is a mess...)

If GOG took care of the shipping with UPS or FedEX, would you have felt differently?

I sent back my ring to Blue Nile twice. Once for resizing (not their fault). Another for wonky prongs (their fault). Both times, customer service was extremely nice no matter how distraught and demanding I was. Best of all, they covered the FedEx overnight shipping.

They ate the shipping costs, kept my business, and still made a nice profit.

I think IDJ should pay for return shipping. It is expensive but good business.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock

marygrace|1328240115|3118007 said:
winternight|1328238856|3117988 said:

If GOG took care of the shipping with UPS or FedEX, would you have felt differently?

I sent back my ring to Blue Nile twice. Once for resizing (not their fault). Another for wonky prongs (their fault). Both times, customer service was extremely nice no matter how distraught and demanding I was. Best of all, they covered the FedEx overnight shipping.

They ate the shipping costs, kept my business, and still made a nice profit.

I think IDJ should pay for return shipping. It is expensive but good business.

I would have felt very differently. I never really felt as if they thought they were accountable for not telling me about the surface inclusion (leaving aside the issue of how far away you could see it, because that is more subjective) even though I called and e-mail about that issue specifically. It wasn't even the money it was the time I had to spend and getting disappointed when I know I asked the right questions. Offering to comp shipping would at least acknowledge that they made a mistake and more importantly it would have given me faith that it was an oversight and I could try their "eye" for diamonds.

That is awesome about Blue Nile. Yeah, just had a messed up order with Nordstroms and they apologized. It is the normal thing to do if you want to keep a customer...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think a big part of this problem is that your definition of eye clean is not their same definition and that that was not clarified up front. Besides the obvious difference of vision quality. I don't totally blame the vendor, though being able to return it without costing you would be nice, I didn't have a big issue with that though, and I sent several stones back and forth with GOG. Most vendors have a set distance and often just straight on view as their criteria. Me personally, I consider eye clean to be "if I can see it at all without a loupe, any distance, any angle, any lighting, AT ALL, it's not eye clean". And you have to specify that up front. I also think you need to consider a higher clarity grade to ensure a more eye and mind clean stone than what you seem to be in the market for. You will have to sacrifice something to stay at the same size for that budget though. Or go smaller. Or down a color. Something will have to give to accommodate your apparent desire for an eye clean stone.

When I was looking I was fighting with coming from a RARE very eye clean SI2 that had nothing visible without a 10x loupe, except for an indented natural at the girdle that was prongable. I looked at several SI's and was just not impressed with that grade. I had that dime a dozen stone. So I moved into the VS range. And while I lost a little on size, it was worth it. Because I have a COMPLETELY eye and loupe clean diamond now and prior to this, I took that for granted, thinking I was ok with little inclusions, and I am, I just cannot deal with seeing them with my eye.

marygrace

Shiny_Rock

winternight|1328241174|3118017 said:
Yeah, just had a messed up order with Nordstroms and they apologized. It is the normal thing to do if you want to keep a customer...

Coach messed up a purchase and later sent me free wallet with a hand written apology from a VP.

I hope IDJ fixes the situation. So many emotions are tied to diamond purchases. Seeing such large inclusions must be disappointing.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Is it just me, or is the bottom left prong not spaced evenly compared to the other prongs?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm going to be honest. It's quite subtle. blown up quite large on my screen, I still think that. I could definitely live with this inclusion, and I'm not sure that, in person, I wouldn't call it "eye clean." So no, I don't think they were necessarily in the wrong here. What was the price?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is a better image to ask if we see it ;))

And I too think it is subtle. What was the price? I am going to assume you paid around $5k, which was your budget? For a 1.5ct rock? This little bittle spec might be what you accept. As I said, your budget is about 1/3 what it would typically need to be for a daimond that size. Cut looks nice too.

ddrealsize.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results