shape
carat
color
clarity

The story of my ring's grading issue

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
We know factually people with developed eyes can easily differentiate FIC vs BIC side by side. Sledge simply referenced the PS article with the link to explain the possible performance differences in the stones in discussion, albeit not nearly as extreme as in FIC/BIC. Such information can be very valuable to many newbies.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, and it's annoying.

It does feel a lot like falling down a rabbit hole, lol.

I can see how the analysis can go on forever ...
Does anyone have a diamond that they would not change in any way? That’s the question I’m beginning to ask, lol.

I wonder if vendors love or hate PS, haha

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock

Does anyone have a diamond that they would not change in any way? That’s the question I’m beginning to ask, lol.

Me. I love my original e-ring and I would never exchange it for anything. That comes with a sentimental tie and an acceptance & love of the stone, but I also tend to not envy others and that probably has a lot to do with it.

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
"Does anyone have a diamond that they would not change in any way?"

Oh yes. My wife. She loves her diamond (and so do I) and wouldn't trade it for the world. She loved it when we got it in April...and she loves it even more now because she knows she was meant to have it... after I lost it on the beach...

www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-you-need-ring-insurance-or-how-i-lost-her-ring-on-the-beach-yesterday.240519

And she still gets compliments on it from strangers.

"I wonder if vendors love or hate PS, haha"

They may hate it some days, but they would rather have us talking about them than about other companies.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock

Oh yes. My wife. She loves her diamond (and so do I) and wouldn't trade it for the world. She loved it when we got it in April...and she loves it even more now because she knows she was meant to have it... after I lost it on the beach...

www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-you-need-ring-insurance-or-how-i-lost-her-ring-on-the-beach-yesterday.240519

They may hate it some days, but they would rather have us talking about them than about other companies.

That also means that she loves you very much.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have a diamond that they would not change in any way?
Yes, my ER/WB set from HPD/CBI are the most beautiful set I have ever seen, and my stone is beyond impeccable. Going on 5 years later and it still takes my breath away, I wouldn't trade it or my set for any other stone. I have my unicorn.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, my ER/WB set from HPD/CBI are the most beautiful set I have ever seen, and my stone is beyond impeccable. Going on 5 years later and it still takes my breath away, I wouldn't trade it or my set for any other stone. I have my unicorn.

lol - I should have known that I’d open a whole can of worms with that question! :clap:

I am very glad to hear the happy stories, though! :appl:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On days when the light is bright, I am feeling great, and my diamonds are clean, they are keepers.
Maybe like children and spouses?
Some days I would not trade them for anything, but then there are other days...lol

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
On days when the light is bright, I am feeling great, and my diamonds are clean, they are keepers.
Some days I would not trade them for anything, but then there are other days...lol
Lol, at least all you have to do with your diamond is to clean it :lol:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

Love your story! It was meant to be hers ;-).

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We know factually people with developed eyes can easily differentiate FIC vs BIC side by side. Sledge simply referenced the PS article with the link to explain the possible performance differences in the stones in discussion, albeit not nearly as extreme as in FIC/BIC. Such information can be very valuable to many newbies.

Yes, BICs and FICs can appear slightly different in different lighting environments. The problem is that neither of these are BICs or FICs. As originally intended, BIC referred to 60/60ish stones with something like 32.5/41 CA/PA, while FICs would be 36.5/40.6 stones with small tables. In such a case, the stones have the potentional to appear different side by side, but a lot still comes down to minute differences in the cut, and as @Karl_K said, lighting.

I also find the recent overemphasis of such small differences annoying, or attacking a GIA 34.5/40.8 with a perfect ASET because "GIA rounding can be funky." Seriously? I think GIA was doing most people a favor so they don't get caught up in dissecting the light performance differences between a 56.1 and 56.5 table. o_O Obviously AGS giving the greater detail is preferred for PSers, especially if the diamond is right on one of those "cliffs" that Karl mentioned (like a 40.5 or 41.2 pavilion) where a tiny change could have a significant impact, but claiming that large differences in visual appearance are due to such minutiae in 2 well cut stones only serves to confuse a new buyer like @Julyisjuly.

To me, the G and the I looked very similar in those videos in the WF lighting in terms of fire. Then again, most diamonds will have decent fire in jewelry store lighting, so the performance in such lighting environments doesn't matter all that much from a real world perspective anyway. I think the OP really needs to get the stone home and see how it looks under real life conditions. She can always upgrade to a stone $1 more in the future if she ends up not liking it's performance at her current home/workplace, or her new home/workplace in Cali.

Don't worry so much @Julyisjuly. You have a well cut stone with proportions that are right smack dab in the TIC range. It's going to be okay. :)

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do! :praise:. Well, I wouldn't mind a bigger stone. :bigsmile:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooooo, you want to trade your Yoram asscher??!

I can give you £3.57 and some pocket fluff? :razz: lol

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Like others, I love my set, esp. my center EC. I couldn’t imagine changing anything but its size...lol!
She has magnificent presence, don’t get me wrong, but...C’MON!! It’s PS!! We ALL love those HONKERS!!! :lol-2:
If I could increase the size of my existing stone with some sort of enlarging ray, I’d be very satisfied. I could never replace her.
(Keep it clean, fellas!! We’re only enlarging ROCKS, here!! ;)2).

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YES! There’s nothing I’d change about Bella, not even a higher colour, I love her beautiful ‘vanilla’ colour, and certainly not her size. I can honestly say that I wouldn’t want bigger, and her authentic period setting, IMVHO, she’s to die for. :love:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I could increase the size of my existing stone with some sort of enlarging ray, I’d be very satisfied. I could never replace her.

I cannot speak entirely for my fiancee, but she never stops staring at her ring, so I assume she's satisfied. And she's said multiple times that there's nothing about it she would change, so I'll take her at her word. :)

From my perspective, there's nothing about it I would change performance (cut)-wise. It has plenty of fire while looking blindingly-brilliant even in low lighting. I seriously think it produces its own light haha.

But let's be logical and rational here, if you gave me a magical machine that could enlarge the diamond, of course I would do so. I would pop that baby into the machine until it reached about 100 carats, sell it for a few million (anyone know how much a well cut 100 carat D/VS2 MRB would sell for?) and retire to travel the world.

Again, just being rational. :P2

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I do! I’ve had my ring (1.84 WF ACA VS2 I color) for almost 2 years. I’ve had a few moments where I considered upgrading, but I am sentimentally attached to my stone, all the effort that went into picking it and how much it means to me and my husband. I also think it is at the edge of “too flashy” considering other rings I see in my workplace so that is a factor as well.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
But let's be logical and rational here, if you gave me a magical machine that could enlarge the diamond

You do see a problem in that statement, don't you? LOL
I wonder if you'd make your wife's assets bigger/smaller, if you simply could with a magical wand.
Yes it's silly to place such heavy sentiments to inanimate objects, but certain things are simply priceless.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You do see a problem in that statement, don't you? LOL

The longer you work in science, the less crazy such a statement sounds. ;-)

I wonder if you'd make your wife's assets bigger/smaller, if you simply could with a magical wand.
Nope, I wouldn't change a thing about her. She's perfect just as she is. :)

Yes it's silly to place such heavy sentiments to inanimate objects, but certain things are simply priceless.

My fiancee is pretty sentimental about these sorts of things, and she would never want to let go of her ring under normal circumstances.

...But she's also pragmatic. If I told her "We can trade your diamond or transform your diamond into ANY diamond in the world," then she would trade it for the hope diamond, sell that diamond, and then we'd retire, travel, and open a few schools in Vietnam.

Another reason why I love her: She's sentimental, but not sentimental to the point where it takes precidence over pragmatism.

...Everything has it's price. And for both my fiancee and I, the worth we place on a rock and some metal (although a highly symbolic piece of rock and metal) is far less than $350 million (est cost of Hope diamond).

Last edited:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
.But she's also pragmatic. If I told her "We can trade your diamond or transform your diamond into ANY diamond in the world
There you go again. Lol, but I understand what you mean.
The fact that you wouldn't change a thing means that you're accepting of her and love her the way she is.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There you go again. Lol, but I understand what you mean.
The fact that you wouldn't change a thing means that you're accepting of her and love her the way she is.

Well, if string theory holds any weight, my fiancee's diamond may actually be the Hope diamond... in some Parallel Universe. :mrgreen2:

Then again, once you get into the quantum physics realm, everything seems like magic (at least to me, a lowly chemist).

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if string theory holds any weight, my fiancee's diamond may actually be the Hope diamond... in some Parallel Universe. :mrgreen2:

Then again, once you get into the quantum physics realm, everything seems like magic (at least to me, a lowly chemist).

All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a book on quantum physics to read - I'm expecting my brain to hurt :D lol

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford
Pfft, physics. Please.:roll

"Biologists think they are biochemists,
Biochemists think they are Physical Chemists,
Physical Chemists think they are Physicists,
Physicists think they are Gods,
And God thinks he is a Mathematician."

I have a book on quantum physics to read - I'm expecting my brain to hurt :D lol
If you're just getting started, I recommend this book. Explains the core concepts in an easy to understand manner through the use of cute Japanese comics. My physics professor in college recommended it to us, and I loved it:

https://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Guide-Relativity-Tatsu-Takeuchi/dp/0521141001

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results