shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed!! 1.94ct Whiteflash G turned out to be H~I

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by Julyisjuly, Dec 26, 2018.

1. bludiva
    Brilliant_Rock

by bludiva » Feb 21, 2019
    Actually I agree, I think finding the off-the-shelf ring that looks closest to what you have in mind would yield the best result.

This coming from someone who has gone through the process of a custom setting and it didn't come out quite as I imagined. It rarely does. In my case I just chose to embrace the differences b/c I was ready to be done with the whole thing.

The Symphonie is another company's design and WF can't replicate it for you exactly. For example, lowering the prong settings as suggested above will squash the side profile, which is a key part of the Symphonie design...so it will look even further than your original inspiration if you lower it. What it seems like they tried to do was take the aspects you liked and incorporate them into an existing design. It actually looks nicer to me seeing it on your hand, not oval as in the original photos. But it won't be exactly the same unfortunately. They have so many beautiful settings available though, I have to think there is one that will make you happy.

Ss52, kgizo, kipari and 8 others like this.
  2. Julyisjuly
    Shiny_Rock

by Julyisjuly » Feb 21, 2019
    I kinda feel to give up as well

Laila619 and chamois like this.
  3. the_mother_thing
    Ideal_Rock

by the_mother_thing » Feb 21, 2019
    I hate to appear like I’m piling on, but I tend to agree here. Custom projects require a lot of patience and a vision of what you really want to see in the end product. If you cannot articulate that well with pictures and descriptive terms, it’s best to work with a designer who can work through the process with you to help you articulate it for the bench.

Going with an off-the-shelf solitaire setting for now will give you time to live with your diamond and enjoy it while perhaps thinking about how you may later want to set it for the long-haul in a custom setting. And you can take your time with it, post ideas on here, etc. Or you may find you fall in love with the simplicity of a simple solitaire and decide to keep it that way forever.

Either way, wishing you bet of luck! :wavey:

Ss52, soxfan, kipari and 3 others like this.
  4. blueMA
    Brilliant_Rock

by blueMA » Feb 21, 2019
    Not sure I agree with you there.
    Symphony is exactly modified as such. Lowered V, more vertical prong, so the crossing isn't visible from the top.
    But I do agree the custom project is tough as mentioned earlier. Clear communication and execution is a must.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nie-ring-with-2-793-f-vs1-cbi-diamond.234765/

5. Dmndsr4evr11
    Shiny_Rock

6. mrs-b
    Ideal_Rock

by mrs-b » Feb 21, 2019
    Altho I agree re going with an off-the-shelf ring, as per @bludiva's suggestion, I wanted to add a differing experience to what I've highlighted above. I did around 20 projects with DKJ last year and every one is exactly what I wanted. It's true that I have an excellent, long-term relationship with them, so they have a pretty good idea of what I like before even starting a new project, but - even so - I did 20 projects - and they were all exactly as I requested and expected.

I think a LOT of people on PS have very positive custom experiences, but I think 3 things are necessary: 1) know what you want going in 2) make sure the person you're working with understands your vision for your project 3) make sure the vendor you're working with has the skill to execute your vision.

cocotate, carbonfan, CareBear and 8 others like this.
  7. SandyinAnaheim
    Brilliant_Rock

by SandyinAnaheim » Feb 21, 2019
    I thought it was bad form to copy other designers' creative works and definitely frowned upon here on PS....

Ss52, MissGotRocks and Lula like this.
  8. Julyisjuly
    Shiny_Rock

I mean the side donut has an extra piece of metal, there is extra piece of the shoulder goes above the gallery.

9. Julyisjuly
    Shiny_Rock

In my communication to WF, I didn't reference Vatche royal crown as my starting point. The only time I mentioned Vatche was when I said I noted Vatche similar style has South/North prongs issue and please make sure to avoid the same issue.
    I understand you all have better experience with these great vendors here, which is good. At least, it proves these recommended vendors are great for vast majority cases. I also appreciate WF offering good customer services after sale.

Lykame likes this.
  10. kmarla
    Brilliant_Rock

by kmarla » Feb 21, 2019
    I’m sorry that you’re disappointed with your ring. I’m pretty sure I showed you this Vatche setting before. It’s not exactly a perfect copy of the Symphonie but it’s fairly close. I think it addresses some of the issues you have with your current setting. I know from personal experience that you can have the shank modified with Vatche to be slimmer if you prefer. Whiteflash could get this setting for you.
    https://www.dvatche.com/product-p/163.htm

16175D07-235C-4EEE-8B41-5D0FA60C9CAE.png

11. tigertales
    Shiny_Rock

by tigertales » Feb 22, 2019
    Rip that sucker out and have a ball shopping locally where you can place the diamond in all the settings your heart desires in person, and pick one that is so close to your ideal you don't need any modifications. ( you can always change to something new next year or next month, lol )

This is driving you crazy! And it's time to enjoy your ring and get back to planning your wedding.

SandyinAnaheim, Dcrafty1 and ratatat like this.
  12. kipari
    Brilliant_Rock

by kipari » Feb 22, 2019
    This x 1000000

I'd like to add one point: understand technical /structural limitations and accept them.

kgizo likes this.
  13. blueMA
    Brilliant_Rock

by blueMA » Feb 22, 2019
    It's obvious she didn't copy exactly. Besides I see people copying here all the time while making little extra improvements. Such is the way of the world since the ancient time.
    By your logic, even the Symphony is a copy of the Vatche Serenity #1541.
    https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nie-ring-with-2-793-f-vs1-cbi-diamond.234765/

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    LightBright, gm89uk, lovedogs and 2 others like this.
  14. blueMA
    Brilliant_Rock

by blueMA » Feb 22, 2019
    OK, then ask to taper it better to sit flush with the horizontal donut with no overhang.

Also, I can clearly see that you're a perfectionist, but not all surface of the ring will be knife edge precision and this should not be expected.
    Looking at the below photos of the Symphony's nooks and crannies along with the donut (click to magnify), would you have been happy as well?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LightBright and cocotate like this.
  15. bludiva
    Brilliant_Rock

by bludiva » Feb 22, 2019
    Good point, some people are better at communicating their vision and/or find a jeweler who is able to flawlessly bring it to life. But also you and DKJ seem to have really good synergy. I think it's a challenge to find that, especially for newbies :)

lovedogs and cocotate like this.

16. Texas Leaguer
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Texas Leaguer » Feb 22, 2019
    @Julyisjuly ,
    While the advice that some are giving to consider going with a stock mounting that has design elements as close to the goal as possible does make sense, I get the impression that there are really only a couple of substantive changes you are wanting to make. And I think we can accomplish those in the process of making a new version of the ring. I definitely think it is worth the shot. We can also spend more time trying to perfect the finish on inner surfaces of the ring as that seems to be the other issue here.

When we receive the ring back we will analyze the new project point by point. With more precision in the communication process I believe we can succeed. It is important to us that we do everything reasonable to produce the ring that you envision and which you will be intensely proud of.

17. blueMA
    Brilliant_Rock

by blueMA » Feb 22, 2019
    Exactly. The ring isn't too far off already, as @Texas Leaguer can clearly see as well.
    I think this ring can turn out to be a stunning piece for others to want to copy in the future.

LightBright, Bfelix and cocotate like this.
  18. Julyisjuly
    Shiny_Rock

by Julyisjuly » Feb 22, 2019
    :P2
    Thanks Kmarla, I saw you suggested this, it's pretty but not it's missing something I prefer.

19. Julyisjuly
    Shiny_Rock

by Julyisjuly » Feb 22, 2019
    I know I am being extremely critic this round and pointed out all these tiny issues. If my ring arrived with 90% of what I communicated, I will settle with it. Won't spend energy to figure out all other tiny issues. I will just happily look at my finger everyday.
    However, given the deliverable has some distance from what communicated, the more I look at it, the more upset I feel.
    Luckily WF is very nice and responsible to help me remake it. Given this chance, I examined it with "magnifying glass":geek2: and hope to point all my observations out to them this time, so we don't have any slip.

LightBright and Golden_bird like this.
  20. cocotate
    Rough_Rock

by cocotate » Feb 22, 2019
    It looks like a bit more patience and better communication might pay off! I want to see julyisjuly happy with her ring. Whiteflash seems like an amazing vendor.

Jimmianne and Gussie like this.
  21. Ss52
    Shiny_Rock

by Ss52 » Feb 22, 2019
    2680154D-6873-4592-A1EF-915D6F90A119.jpeg BA731666-2497-415E-BA78-B45EE5977DA8.jpeg 54D557B8-9FDC-44B7-A8DF-9BCF79F99752.jpeg

Julyisjuly, if you are drawn to elegant simplicity, this 2.21 E is set in the
    Vatche Caroline in platinum.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

kal2021, tigertales and Jimmianne like this.
  22. tigertales
    Shiny_Rock

by tigertales » Mar 19, 2019
    So, dear JulyisJuly, how did things work out for you? We all want to know, we were so happy for you when you found your special diamond, and so sad when the setting didn't please you.

Please let us know!

MissGotRocks likes this.
  23. MissGotRocks
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by MissGotRocks » Mar 19, 2019
    I agree - would love to hear an update on your ring!

Dmndsr4evr11 and tigertales like this.