carat
color
clarity

The story of my ring's grading issue

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_4094.PNG IMG_4107.PNG IMG_4109.PNG
IMG_4106.PNG

I sent WF the symphony CAD, and I said no melter, narrow band at center, make sure all prongs even......
I think it's the north and south prongs screwed it. Vatche has a similar style, from the picture it looks round and prongs spread out even. The key is the the prong crossing has be low! WF set too high and prongs are fat, so ends up looks like a wave hugging the stone on top.
I don't know how can they made the prongs spread out uneven, unbelievable.
It's a custom, I don't know whether I can return or redo.

The pictures here of this Vatche look great. Yours looks just like the Vatche royal crown posted above. They will fix it for you. What if you just got the Vatche you posted?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Julyisjuly,
I'm sorry you are not happy with the final result of your custom ring. Like some have suggested the spacing of the prongs is probably creating the ovalish aesthetic. I will be meeting to discuss the issue with our production team in a few minutes. Seems to me that there was a breakdown in communication, for which I apologize.
We will remake the ring for you at our expense.

Dcrafty1

Shiny_Rock
I read that before, so I specifically called out to WF that Vatche similar style has the north and south prongs issue, I clearly mention to them please make them even.

I specifically asked the same thing regarding my N/S tabs on Vatche Royal Crown. I was told the way the ring is designed the prongs couldn’t be altered. This would slowly eat away at me. I would have to send it back. We shall see whether mine goes back come 3/20

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Julyisjuly,
I'm sorry you are not happy with the final result of your custom ring. Like some have suggested the spacing of the prongs is probably creating the ovalish aesthetic. I will be meeting to discuss the issue with our production team in a few minutes. Seems to me that there was a breakdown in communication, for which I apologize.
We will remake the ring for you at our expense.

It’s often said that how a vendor deals with customers’ post-purchase concerns tells FAR more about their level of service than just making the initial sale to them. :clap:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Prong spacing isn't the only problem. The main issue is due to the raised basket that's visible from the top that's causing the illusion of the oval shape. Such is why a custom work can be so tricky but I hope it works out in the end.

upload_2019-2-13_13-27-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-13_13-19-40.png
    upload_2019-2-13_13-19-40.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 23
  • upload_2019-2-13_13-21-22.png
    upload_2019-2-13_13-21-22.png
    492.5 KB · Views: 24

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your stone! I can see why you might not love the setting. The metal that is visible on the north and south poles is not doing justice to your stone I'm afraid. Hopefully WF can make it better. Sounds like they are more than willing to work with you to make it right.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your stone is magnificent. Flashing like a disco ball. Love it, great choice.

I think the setting basket is built too big for your diamond, N S, as seen from the metal swoop poking out from beyond the edge of the stone, top down. And it’s too small for your stone’s measurements in the basket, profile view. Top down, the prongs should come up from under the diamond so you don’t see anything but a little prong peeking out from the top. From the side, I think your stone needs to be more visible and cleanable (eg you need a slightly roomier basket that gives a little more empty space under the cutlet). (The originator of the Symphonie, CFlutist, gives very specific reasons for this roomier basket and higher up mount (if you want that) of the stone in her numerous posts; she’s also provided numerous photos.) I’d give White Flash a chance to fix the problem. If not, HPD does have an Uber bench that can execute this Symphonie style for you, but I would also consider having Vatche do it.

Last edited:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
For me, the issue is fully to do with the shape of the north and south prongs. Because they have been set a bit high, but more importantly they are not in the shape of a three prong star, they look more like a wave. The prong that comes up to meet the diamond isn't a straight single prong created out of two pieces of metal that met already lower down (like in the Symphonie), it's still two strips of metal. You can see those strips of metal from above and that's creating that oval shape.

To be honest I don't think it looks quite like the CAD, because the north and south prongs do come out too high and are of a different steepness, but I ALSO don't think the CAD looks like the Symphonie shape - the CAD is definitely a wave and the Symphonie is definitely a three prong star shape. Whiteflash made the finished product based on the CAD and I think the finished product looks more like the CAD than the Symphonie. It's frustrating.

I'm not sure if you posted the CAD here for review?

If it's any consolation, I have my finished ring too and it has to go back for some tweaks - despite as much communication as you can manage, there's so many people involved in making a ring certain things always seem to get lost in translation... :think:

As always, I feel sure Whiteflash would make this right for you if you gave them the opportunity. I would love to see this with a happy ending.

I have to say that this is why I have never taken the chance at a custom ring. There are thousands of designed rings out there ... always thought it would be safer. I still understand why people do custom, but stories like this make me doubt my own design abilities and/or my ability to get my ideas into a CAD.

I’m really curious to see the CADs! In particular, I’m wondering if the prong spacing was drawn up the way it was completed.

@Julyisjuly - I hope you get your patience on ... it can’t be too too much longer and all will be perfect. I kind of expected Bryan to check on this personally for you ... I wonder if he was able to do that. It looks like he is involved at this point anyway, and I’m sure that WF will make you a new setting instead of tweaking the one you have. The best teacher is a mistake - can’t see a repeat of the mistakes made on your setting. I bet the next one will be great!

Last edited:

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
IMG_4115.JPG IMG_4116.PNG seems a battle between: minimize the work vs maximize customer's happiness.
Here is another detail: I asked them to engrave, I said my preferred words to be: two names (names are not long) + be my valentine. If no space allowed, can ignore names.
Then WF replied me: we can do short one. I assumed they don't do my preferred way, must be no enough space on the band.
When I got the ring, I saw there is a plenty of space for my preferred words.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is magnificent. Flashing like a disco ball. Love it, great choice.

I think the setting basket is built too big for your diamond, N S, as seen from the metal swoop poking out from beyond the edge of the stone, top down. And it’s too small for your stone’s measurements in the basket, profile view. Top down, the prongs should come up from under the diamond so you don’t see anything but a little prong peeking out from the top. From the side, I think your stone needs to be more visible and cleanable (eg you need a slightly roomier basket that gives a little more empty space under the cutlet). (The originator of the Symphonie, CFlutist, gives very specific reasons for this roomier basket and higher up mount (if you want that) of the stone in her numerous posts; she’s also provided numerous photos.) I’d give White Flash a chance to fix the problem. If not, HPD does have an Uber bench that can execute this Symphonie style for you, but I would also consider having Vatche do it.

@Julyisjuly

Am very sorry that this happened to you, but I am sure that WF will make it right for you because they are a very reputable company.

If it makes you feel any better, my first CAD looked just like your ring. I immediately spotted the extra metal showing at the top and bottom. CAD#2 fixed that problem, but I wanted the culet more visible for easy cleaning (pavilion completely accessible so it can be cleaned with a toothbrush and DW liquid at home, and bathgel or shampoo while traveling). So with CAD#3 HPD Symphonie was born.

I was happy that you were able to try on my Symphonie and my Vatche Serenity Pave so that you could could compare them side by side. In my opinion, the fabrication and polish of HPDs uber bench is better than Vatche's. Glad that I was a guest at the small CBI showing for a couple of clients.

Wishing you the very best with many wonderful years of marriage.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
In my opinion, the fabrication and polish of HPDs uber bench is better than Vatche's.

After seeing the prongs on the below CBI (personally not a fan), I'd say all bench have a good and bad days. I'm sure they place extra effort on certain key projects as well, and I've seen some great jobs done by Whiteflash's bench so can't agree one rules over another and probably depends on who's working.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/crafted-by-infinity-a-little-slice-of-heaven.246624/

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
After seeing the prongs on the below CBI (personally not a fan), I'd say all bench have a good and bad days. I'm sure they place extra effort on certain key projects as well, and I've seen some great jobs done by Whiteflash's bench so can't agree one rules over another and probably depends on who's working.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/crafted-by-infinity-a-little-slice-of-heaven.246624/

Hey ... I didn’t notice the prongs on those earrings are not all the same ... and no one in the thread mentions it either, lol - I guess the diamonds stole the show.

I must admit that I expected the WF bench to pay special attention to JulyisJuly’s ring. That’s why I’m so curious to see the CADs :shifty:

I’m sure all benches have good and bad days.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_4115.JPG IMG_4116.PNG seems a battle between: minimize the work vs maximize customer's happiness.
Here is another detail: I asked them to engrave, I said my preferred words to be: two names (names are not long) + be my valentine. If no space allowed, can ignore names.
Then WF replied me: we can do short one. I assumed they don't do my preferred way, must be no enough space on the band.
When I got the ring, I saw there is a plenty of space for my preferred words.

I think they are limited by how the ring fits into the machine rather than the actual space .... hopefully a more knowledgeable person can comment on this soon.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

@Julyisjuly was comparing HPD'S Symphonie to Vatche's Serenity. Whiteflash was not in the equation at the time.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that it does look oval, and that the basket is high or possibly oversized for the stone. I'm sure they'll get this right for you!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vatche is making a new Royal Crown setting for me b/c the stone was set too low. The setting was too small for the stone.

IMG_3839.jpg

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
@Julyisjuly was comparing HPD'S Symphonie to Vatche's Serenity. Whiteflash was not in the equation at the time.

I could be wrong, but I thought this was a custom CAD by Whiteflash based off a Vache.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Vatche is making a new Royal Crown setting for me b/c the stone was set too low. The setting was too small for the stone.

IMG_3839.jpg

Sorry for the thread jack. Do you have any threads for your CBI’(s) please?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Is this the setting you ordered? The one you got looks remarkably close to the pictures on white flash website.
The diamond that you have is obviously larger than the sample one, but the design of the setting is for the n/s prongs to have a more rounded edge. They do not look the same as the 4 side prongs. It is supposed to be like that for the setting.

What setting did you order?

78FB94E5-B765-4618-8C37-2796A13BB128.jpeg

This does look like the same prong set up as your ring to me ...

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Julyisjuly, i have never been 100% satisfied with any setting and had two expensive custom settings made and hated both. They were probably fine, but they were not exactly what I had envisioned. The closest I have come to being happy in my numerous setting experiences is when I bought something ready made and had the diamond plunked in. You might want to order a setting, try in on, and then have the stone set. It is a revelation when you realize that there are so many elements to even the most simple setting..height of stone, size of prongs, position of arrows, shape of prongs, angles, amount of metal, shape of shank, etc etc. I have had to stay away from custom. LOL

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
WF TL emailed me and promised to correct for me. He said the product manager believes "the spacing can be easily corrected by just re-setting the stone and reposition the prongs on the shank sides (bringing them slightly closer together)." Luckily, TL said he is prepared and ok if I want to re-make it at their cost.

I am very glad that WF is very proactive and responsible. Just the response from the product manager holds me back.....does he really see the problem? There are so many things different than the pictures I sent at beginning.

If do it locally, any good recommendations in SF Bay Area?
Such a long journey so far, getting a bit tied

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

No recommendations in the Bay area, but EVS Designs and David Klass are both in LA. EVS Designs did a great job with my fiancé's custom solitaire. Everything came out pretty much exactly how I wanted it, and I had a very particular vision in my head of what I wanted. ;-)

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
WF TL emailed me and promised to correct for me. He said the product manager believes "the spacing can be easily corrected by just re-setting the stone and reposition the prongs on the shank sides (bringing them slightly closer together)." Luckily, TL said he is prepared and ok if I want to re-make it at their cost.

I am very glad that WF is very proactive and responsible. Just the response from the product manager holds me back.....does he really see the problem? There are so many things different than the pictures I sent at beginning.

Can't help with jeweller recommendations but I really don't think it's just a spacing issue. As I said before you have prongs on that ring made in two different ways and a lip of metal visible from above because of it. If they want to 'fix' it using that setting personally I think they would have to set it higher and add metal to the prongs. Is that even possible?

I still think that Whiteflash should be given the opportunity to fix this. Personally, if I were you, which I'm not, I'd send it to them and they can reset it in the current setting. They can then send you pictures and you could yay or nay then. If nay, they should redo it. If they send it to you and it's still not right in person, tedious I know but they should then redo it.

Again, personally I think perhaps the CADS need a bit of a rework so you get what you imagined rather than a repeat of the same experience.

If you go elsewhere, you're literally starting from scratch again and all of these possible miscommunications are just as likely to happen. I think when going custom it's worth sticking with the same vendor when their heart is clearly in the right place. You're much more likely to get what you asked for even if it's not first time around, because you have a safe way of fixing miscommunication. Now you have a physical thing in front of you and can modify that, which is easier than modifying a computer image. Take lots of photos of your ring and modify it to show how you envisioned it and see what they can do. :geek2:

Ultimately, do what makes you happy. I'm glad you love the stone, anyway.

Oh, and as for the engraving, I know there's lots of metal space for there to be engraving on, but I suspect their machine is limited by the curve of the ring and it's not so easy to make a really long statement around the whole inside unless it's done by hand.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are so many things different than the pictures I sent at beginning.

If there were multiple communications, changes, etc. since what you sent at the beginning, all of those things will alter the ring in some way, and sometimes we don’t understand that or why/how they will effect the end result, which is why it’s so important to approve final CADs before the ring is cast. Custom is not an easy process, and it’s really not ideal when someone is trying to rush a project to meet a specific date in a short amount of time. Be patient, take your time this go-around. And post the CADs on here for input as well as to help you communicate any needed changes back to WF.

Good luck!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the ring WF created for you looks very similar to the Vatche. However, the prongs, and their placement, aren't pleasing to you. I think I would consider a whole new six prong ring whereby the design would allow for prongs all the same size with the same amount of space between them. I am just not sure that redoing this current ring is going to make you happier. Just my .02!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Simply adjusting the prong spacing won't fix the issue. Send that picture I've clipped above to Whiteflash, and get on the phone with someone who will work on the retake to communicate clearly that you don't want to see the metal lip on the north & south prongs from the top.

It's like building a house or any other intricate project - a new cad design from the scratch will not go smoothly and will cause a lot of stress and headache, and you must have a very keen eye for important corrections OR someone at the production side with the skills has to drive the bus for a project to be a success. Some people who recommend the CAD custom route don't even seem to realize so many important contributions by the PS community that were crucial to the successful outcome, and sometimes downright take the credit for it. I must admit that this honestly irks me.

Give Whiteflash a chance. I noticed your ring has a lot of modifications even at the bottom crossing as in the HPD Symphony, and it is very close but the specifics will need to be laid out and properly communicated for the required corrections.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the ring WF created for you looks very similar to the Vatche. However, the prongs, and their placement, aren't pleasing to you. I think I would consider a whole new six prong ring whereby the design would allow for prongs all the same size with the same amount of space between them. I am just not sure that redoing this current ring is going to make you happier. Just my .02!

^^^THIS^^^ By the time you respace the prongs evenly around the diamond and ‘tuck’ the cross-bars further in/under the diamond so they aren’t visible from the face-on view, you now have an entirely different ring design.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Hope you get this all worked out soon! I can't wait to see you enjoy the diamond and be happy. You've put so much into this, I'm sure it will be well worth it. Sometimes the best things come out of trial and error. And, Happy Valentine's day, Julyisjuly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results