shape
carat
color
clarity

Dirtcheapdiamonds.com - beware of jeweler.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kokopelli75

Rough_Rock
I wanted to put out there my recent experience with Dirtcheapdiamonds.com.

I searched for a few months for the perfect ring for my fiance, probably browsed some few thousand designs. A friend of mine bought a ring from DCD, and said he had a good experience. Seeing the prices they offered, I thought I'd go the same route.

And so it began... I wanted a ring design I found at another site, a swirling platinum design with a round brilliant. I was promised the ring in 2 weeks, and after almost 6 weeks finally called Jim (DCD's president) to find out what was going on. I was told that the jeweler had some issues with the design of my ring and had to make it more than once, and that I should contact him directly. The jeweler was completely unresponsive and did not return my calls, or take my calls when we was in the office.

When I finally got the ring after 6 weeks, it looked pretty good, but had some flaws in workmanship that I did not expect from a professional jeweler. There were rough edges, bad polishing in some areas, and the ring in general wasn't symmetric. After a few weeks I was able to schedule an appointment with an appraiser. I found out there, that the ring was not platinum (for which I paid), but actually white gold! The stone was also loosely set.

I contacted Jim immediately, obviously upset with this revelation. He quickly suggested a solution, that I send the ring back to be re-molded in platinum. A week later I got a new ring, this time in platinum, but with the same flaws in workmanship. There are obvious seams and rough edges visible, after being told the jeweler said he got it perfect this time. I was also told by Jim that I would get a free appraisal sent with the ring - I never got this.

Conclusion: If you do choose to go with DCD, I DO NOT recommend using his jeweler. DCD's responsiveness is good, their prices are good, but their jeweler is poor in both quality and customer service. I would recommend if you go with DCD, to think about getting only the loose stone, and the ring elsewhere.

Good luck.

(see updates below)

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
How horrible for you Koko!
8.gif
What is supposed to be a wonderful experience turns into such drudgery.
nono.gif
DCD has a good reputation here on the Forum. Hopefully they will resolve the situation to your complete satisfaction.
confused.gif

Jim-Schultz

Rough_Rock
Hey folks!

This post really kills me, because for 4.5 years DCD has had a spotless record online. But you know what, we messed up and everything Kokopelli says is true. It really doesn't do much good to try to explain exactly what happened, but I can say that we have (and will) do anything Koko requests to reasonably rectify the situation.

The only other thing I wanted to mention is that our diamond ring suppliers (of which we have several - Koko's ring was done by our custom manufacturer) have produced thousands of rings over the past several years. While we have certainly had our share of problems, the vast majority of our clients have been extremely pleased with the quality of their diamond jewelry. Koko's ring order was wrought with errors on our part (for which we are totally accountable), but this wasn't a typical experience.

That's about it. Now I get to go yell at my custom jeweler for making me look bad on Pricescope!
1.gif

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Well,

I am sorry that KoKo had such a terrible experience.

I am scared to death now what my ring will look like.......**gulp**

Also, Jim came out and admitted to having sold this product and it was lacking. He took responsibility. There is a lot to say for this.

KoKo, keep us informed how this gets resolved.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Jim ~ I know what you mean , They have you over a barrel. Hopfully when your in this business as long as I have been 20.4 years
1.gif
You will find the right one.

We have a crew now that does everything text book, it sure takes a lot off of my shoulders , on how its going to be finished
1.gif

Dont feel bad Jim Sammy Sosa does not hit a homerun everytime he comes to the plate
1.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are poorly made peices sold and used by consumers every day. Very few vendors ever admit to having had a problem. In this regard, DCD is a rare retailer. It is truly difficult to face problems head on, and so tempting to stone wall and deny...This is the far more common situation.

I hope things do get cleared up.

If you and Jim need some sort of third party assistance to be sure you get a good job, I'd volunteer to see it through with both of you...No charge other than shipping....

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Jim: Unfortunately, part of being human means that from time to time, we all have "a swing and a miss" episodes.

I respect that you were honest and candid in accepting responsibility, and I believe your sincerity in wanting to make things right. As a customer, I don't necessarily expect vendors to be error free, but I expect them to strive for it and to respond accordingly when problems arise.

I'm sure your efforts to make this right will add to the portfolio of your solid reputation.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Dont feel bad Jim Sammy Sosa does not hit a homerun everytime he comes to the plate

Ummm..Maybe Sammy is not the best reference here...corking his bat and all...:O)

Sorry just had to add this in, please keep us abreast!

DCD-this could really work out to your benefit if KoKo comes back and says-Dirt Cheap went all out for me. Which it sounds like they will.

On a side note I have even heard stories about Vatche setting being designed with flaws.

Hope all works out KoKo

brennerd

Rough_Rock
Jim:

It goes a long way that you'd admit that you blew it. Although it sucks for Koko, it gives me confidence that you are honest, and stand behind your product...so long as you do follow through.

kokopelli75

Rough_Rock
Update:

Jim called me directly after my post today. He is willing to do what he can to turn my experience into a positive one. Upon my suggestion, Jim agreed to reimburse me for the cost of having my ring touched up at a local jeweler.

I want readers to understand that this is not a personal attack against Jim or DCD. Also, note that my ring was a custom job, unlike the rings currently displayed on dirtcheapdiamonds.com. From other DCD related posts I have read, people seem very happy with their rings.

Updates to follow.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/15/2003 5:51:55 PM kokopelli75 wrote:

I want readers to understand that this is not a personal attack against Jim or DCD. Also, note that my ring was a custom job, unlike the rings currently displayed on dirtcheapdiamonds.com. From other DCD related posts I have read, people seem very happy with their rings.

----------------

Not to worry, Koko.....the sincerity of your post and your absence of malice was evident in your first post. You were very clear that your dissatisfaction was with the work performed on the custom ring and your failure to get the documentation you requested. Those are fair comments, and they were well-presented.

I appreciate your willingness to share your disappointments in a constructive way and to limit commentary to the actual problems. I think it's helped Jim and DCD focus on where to improve, which is always a good thing. I think it's also helped many of us who've never dealt with Jim gain a healthy measure of respect for how professionally he responded, not just in word but in action.

This is exactly the type of thing that PS is about, and it's just great to see it work well.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Koko, I really hope that this matter gets resolved to your complete satisfaction. Kudos to Jim for showing his integrity.
1.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
But you know what, we messed up and everything Kokopelli says is true.
-----------

This is a class act. Very, very rare.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, nice to see someone able to post about a bad experience with a respected vendor and not be crucified for it. Also nice to see the vendor take responsibilty and take actions to resolve the issue and make the customer happy. Way to go DCD! Too often these posts turn into he said - she said heated arguments which never help anyone. It's great to see this post and how the vendor responded.

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
Wow! That's a great response from Jim and it shows great integrity and honesty on his part.

I had a botched job from Tiffany & Co. five times on the same ring! Quality control never caught any of the errors and they only admitted their mistake after it was looked at by the store manager. On one occasion, they thought that it was stopped by QC and never returned. They were very shocked that a piece looking the way it did would be presented to a customer. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't have a digital camera at that point!

I'm sure Jim will make it right for you. He seems to take a lot of pride in his work and his customers are important to him. I've never heard another bad account of him.
appl.gif

As an aside, after I posted what happened to me at Tiffany's, I heard other scary stories about Tiffany customer service. Good luck to you both in getting a perfect looking ring!

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I always wondered what it would take to coax Jim out of the forest and get him to post!

magna2

Shiny_Rock
I really appreciate that DCD did not come to the forum and act defensively and flame koko for stating a negative experience with his custom jeweler.

I agree with Rich that this is indeed a class act.

rodent.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Wooohooo Koko!
9.gif

And, true to their track record DCD stepped up to correct the situation.
appl.gif

AL was right. You told your story without being rude and mean. The thread has been a positive experience for both you and DCD.

Top notch custom-work jewelry smiths are extremely hard to find. It is more than a craft or skill for truly great ones. It is ART in metal and gems!
1.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
I think that if Leonid ever decides to put together a FAQ on online diamond buying (for vendors and customers), he ought to link this thread, together with the threads on Derco, Barmakian, Stuart Moore, and the one in the steam room, for examples of how and how not to respond to a bad review on an internet diamond forum. Nearly all of them seem to fall into one of the following categories:

1) Pretend to ignore the problem while sending waves of sock puppets to respond with bogus, misleading "testimonials."

2) Confront the problem directly by attacking the customer and going out of your way to insult the intelligence of anyone reading the forum, and further suggesting that anyone buying a diamond online is a fool who deserves to get ripped off. For bonus points, threaten litigation if negative posts aren't removed.

3) Confront the problem directly by admitting where you goofed and making reasonable efforts to make good on it.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to know which results in the best long-term image online. /idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It reminds me of a story I read a long time ago about a politician who the gossipmongers accused of having an affair.

The press was running with the story, fanning the flames. The politician announced that he was going to have a press conference addressing the issue.

There was about a thousand microphones in front of him when he strode up to the podium. He said "There has been a lot of talk about a supposed affair that I am having. I am here to tell you that every word of it is true. Thank you for your time, and I promise that I will continue to do my utmost best in representing my constituents."

He then strode off the podium, went to work the next day and refused to comment any further on the issue. When re-election time came around, he won by a landslide.

People love their politicians (and diamond dealers) honest and human.

JustJamie

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 10/15/2003 3:47:41 PM Jim-Schultz wrote:

This post really kills me, because for 4.5 years DCD has had a spotless record online. But you know what, we messed up and everything Kokopelli says is true. It really doesn't do much good to try to explain exactly what happened, but I can say that we have (and will) do anything Koko requests to reasonably rectify the situation.
----------------

I'm every bit as impressed with your response to this as I am the positive testimonials I've read about your company
1.gif
I'm planning on calling Joshua Monday with regards to a princess-cut diamond/antique setting combo I'm interested in having done. I look forward to doing business with you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results