shape
carat
color
clarity

Dirt/gunk between the girdle and setting that I can't clean?

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
I have an AVC, and I've found that even the tiniest bit of dirt/grease/gunk on the ring makes the whole thing look dull and unimpressive. I was in a jewelry store this past weekend and my ring didn't even look good under their lights.

I've noticed a whitish, hard gunk that is adherent to my diamond/setting right below the girdle of the diamond where it fits into the basket. No matter what I've tried, I can't get that off. The bottom of the diamond also looks cloudy when I look up through the basket. I've tried a home sonic cleaner with jewelry cleaner, dawn and hot water, those diamond dazzle sticks, and hydrogen peroxide. Should I take it to be professionally cleaned and hope they can get this gross junk off my ring?

FireMonkey

Shiny_Rock
Re: Dirt/gunk between the girdle and setting that I can't cl

Have you tried hot water? I mean, screaming hot? Sometimes the gunk will actually dissolve/loosen enough in hot water to allow it to be ultra-sonic'd or brushed out. That, followed by a dip in rubbing alcohol, always works for my diamonds. They look fresh-from-the-jeweler brilliant. Good luck!

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock

FireMonkey|1407353013|3727354 said:
Have you tried hot water? I mean, screaming hot? Sometimes the gunk will actually dissolve/loosen enough in hot water to allow it to be ultra-sonic'd or brushed out. That, followed by a dip in rubbing alcohol, always works for my diamonds. They look fresh-from-the-jeweler brilliant. Good luck!

I work in a lab, so today I actually boiled my rings in water with Dawn for five minutes and ended with a 95% ethanol bath for five minutes. All of the crap is still there. :(

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can't imagine what is on your diamond! But you'll probably have to get it professionally cleaned. Once it is clean, then I'd take the rings off before doing anything that could get gunk on them, and soak them every night in jewelry cleaner or dawn and hot water. That's what I do and it doesn't really give the ring a chance to collect any gunk. I have found through experience (several setting changes) that I prefer settings that allow me to reach the pavilion of the stone to clean it. Because the pavilion just sometimes has to be brushed to clean it well. I'll look and see if you have another thread showing your setting.

FireMonkey

Shiny_Rock

Well, damn. You're way ahead of the game, then. Like diamondseeker, I can't imagine what's taken up residence in your setting. Hmmmmm... :think:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, I did. Can you not get a brush up under that basket from the bottom?

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1407354114|3727372 said:

I've done it before with a toothbrush, I just don't think it's 100% effective. I'm way more bothered by the white crusty stuff on the sides though! I always try to take my rings off before applying lotion or hair products or anything like that, but they may just need a good deep clean at the jewelers (it has been a year since I had them professionally cleaned).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Recently I was visiting another city and went to a jewelry store that has great jewelry and even carries some Single Stone rings. My diamond was cleaned that morning but it looked a little frosty in the jewelry store lighting. It drove me crazy because I was trying on bands and I hated seeing my diamond not looking its best. So I asked the sales associate if she would clean it, so she put it in their ultrasonic. When she brought it back, it looked no better. Later that day I sent Jonathan an email to ask why my diamond would have that appearance even after it was cleaned. He said it sounded like it was dirty and needed to be cleaned with a brush. Well, he was exactly right! As soon as I used a brush with the warm water and Dawn or window cleaner, it made my diamond look like new again! I just wanted to tell you this because even the jeweler's ultrasonic did not clean my AVR well! It sounds like you are going to have to get something that will fit in that space to clean the gunk off the diamond.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1407354114|3727372 said:
Basket settings are PITB to clean!... especially smaller baskets like my DD's .25ct are the worse..:knockout:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Can you send it to GOG and have them maybe try to extract whatever it is?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I realize that your issue sounds like it might need some professional help, but just wanted to share this:
http://www.amazon.com/Connoisseurs-1050-Diamond-Dazzle-Stik/dp/B00459VM6I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1407437629&sr=8-7&keywords=jewelry+sparkle+stick
These are sort of like paintbrushes, so they are great for cleaning under & around settings. I doubt that they will help to remove the gunk you currently have, but maybe once you get that figured out, it might be good for every day maintenance.
Also, Mr. Clean is great for cleaning my diamonds - for stubborn dirt/gunk (like sunscreen, etc), I heat up a mug of Mr. Clean in the microwave, let my rings soak for a little bit, and then scrub them gently with a toothbrush.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

She used the diamond d dazzle stick

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

^My apologies - I missed that part in her original post.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock

Is there possibly a UV/Ozone cleaner in your lab or maybe in a lab down the hall?

Disclaimer: I don't know if this method will cause any damage to your diamond or setting, but it's an excellent technique for removing organic contaminants to get a substrate clean to atomic level. The linked site does indicate that diamond and metal are substrates that can be used, but YMMV.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Among the normal techniques, I also use my electric toothbrush! I have one brush head that I use on my jewelry, another for my teeth. I found it works great on my smaller pave bands. I clean whatever I wear everyday, so they don't really accrue 'gunk'. I also use the steam wand on my espresso machine, which is unreal- the difference with steam added is amazing. I bet once you get that ring in for a professional cleaning, it brighten right up!! Then it'll be easy to maintain!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock

Would blasting it with a waterpik help?

Brit

Rough_Rock

It could be hard water scale. Since I do everything with my rings on and I have super hard water, their weekly spa treatment includes a soak in hot hot water and vinegar for at least 10 minutes. Then I give them a good scrubbing with a soft toothbrush and dish soap, then finish with an alcohol scrub. Keeps them super sparkly clean.

svf72

Rough_Rock

Have you tried a toothpick/brush/flosser to gently scrub under the prongs? I was told to use this toothpick brush to help floss between my teeth before I had them fixed and had some left over. When my diamond and prongs got oil in them (I forgot to take my ring off after cleaning the roasting pan from my roast dinner that night!) I found it perfect for getting under and around the prongs - just use it gently with hot water and dishwashing liquid. But it works better than a toothbrush and when the bottom of my diamond gets dirty and cloudy, it brings it up to sparkling. Also, I use a "sparkle Cleaning Plate' that you use with near boiling water and washing soda crystals.

You get a non metallic container, put the silver plate in, put your jewellery on top and add a couple of tablespoons of the soda crystals and then the water. It bubbles away for a while but I let it just stand there for 10-15 minutes, then take out the ring, gently clean under the prongs with the toothpick brush and give it a good long rinse - and the ring looks brand new and shiny.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sarahb|1407453703|3728177 said:
Among the normal techniques, I also use my electric toothbrush! I have one brush head that I use on my jewelry, another for my teeth. I found it works great on my smaller pave bands. I clean whatever I wear everyday, so they don't really accrue 'gunk'. I also use the steam wand on my espresso machine, which is unreal- the difference with steam added is amazing. I bet once you get that ring in for a professional cleaning, it brighten right up!! Then it'll be easy to maintain!

HA! I do the same thing -- great for around claw prongs and pave! (only I don't clean them every day -- new resolution!) :praise:
I also do the Mr. Clean in screamin' hot water (from the microwave), and it's been pretty dang effective. The alcohol rinse works well as a final step (I use a strong spray bottle to get under the basket).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Also, using a cleaning duster (the spray cans used for keyboards) is amazing -- NO MORE SPOTS!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock

FYI
Anyone can use the "sparkle plate" untarnishing trick at home with aluminum foil, hot water and baking soda. Just make sure the water stays hot to keep the reaction going.
It's easy basic chemistry: http://lecturedemos.chem.umass.edu/electrochemistry19_4.html

You can also turn baking soda into washing soda by heating it in the oven http://hollythehomemaker.blogspot.ca/2013/05/how-to-make-washing-soda-redux.html. Washing soda will make the untarnishing reaction faster.

UberClaire: Any luck with the gunk?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

HopeDream|1408855778|3738376 said:
FYI
Anyone can use the "sparkle plate" untarnishing trick at home with aluminum foil, hot water and baking soda. Just make sure the water stays hot to keep the reaction going.
It's easy basic chemistry: http://lecturedemos.chem.umass.edu/electrochemistry19_4.html

You can also turn baking soda into washing soda by heating it in the oven http://hollythehomemaker.blogspot.ca/2013/05/how-to-make-washing-soda-redux.html. Washing soda will make the untarnishing reaction faster.

UberClaire: Any luck with the gunk?
Science is so useful! :)

Aliera

Rough_Rock

I work in a lab, so today I actually boiled my rings in water with Dawn for five minutes and ended with a 95% ethanol bath for five minutes. All of the crap is still there. :(

Chemist here, why would you boil in a surfactant then use 95% ethanol?

Reactions: AV_

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

It could be hard water scale. Since I do everything with my rings on and I have super hard water, their weekly spa treatment includes a soak in hot hot water and vinegar for at least 10 minutes. Then I give them a good scrubbing with a soft toothbrush and dish soap, then finish with an alcohol scrub. Keeps them super sparkly clean.

thanks for the viniger tip
we have very hard water and sometimes i think soaking it makes it worse than before i started

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
We have hard water too so I use bottled or distilled water to clean my jewelry.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Professional steam cleaning would be the next step.
If that does not remove it unseating the diamond and an acid bath.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Does the diamond actually touch the basket?
I have such a ring, it's impossible to go between the diamond and the basket with a toothbrush.
It makes a VS1 look like a SI1 or worse when tilting the ring, you can see a half circle of clouds inside the table when using a loupe.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old thread but someone once told me to try CLR lol

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Those look handy for lots of things.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results