shape
carat
color
clarity

Dip or not ?

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I have an inherited diamond boat shaped, cluster ring. Estimated to be from the 1850’s. The mounting is in silver and tarnishes quickly. Can you/would you have it dipped (plated)?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
may be see a picture and a little back story please
im always interested in inherited pieces

im no expert but im tempted to say do what ever you have to, to make the piece the most wearable

A jewler who's blog i follow, Calla Gold is always saying wear it don't warehouse it

Also the best way to stop silver from tarnishing is to wear it, or is your piece way to delicate to be worn often ?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an inherited diamond boat shaped, cluster ring. Estimated to be from the 1850’s. The mounting is in silver and tarnishes quickly. Can you/would you have it dipped (plated)?

I also would like to see pictures - a lot of jewelry from the period with silver and diamonds is worn tarnished/darkened, so it is probable that it is just supposed to be the style. I don't know if that helps you not mind. If you still mind though then yes, go for it. Jewelry is meant to be worn.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
88A35337-6545-45B7-B947-CF81FCDBA5D7.jpeg

Thanks for your replies.

Here it is, not good at taking pics of diamonds, it is so hard to capture what I see with my eyes. This ring was my Great Great Grandmother’s ring, my Great Aunt then inherited it. Subsequently the ring was then inherited by my Mum from her Aunt, I now have it.

The band is YG.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Please don't dip it! It would diminish the value of this antique.
Have you had it tested or appraised? I can't tell from the photos if it is paste or diamond or topaz or...
At any rate, it is lovely.
How about some more pics, from all angles?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well “shut the door”!
what a stunner of a ring.
no, don’t replate it, in any regard you can’t “just plate” the head and leave the shank yellow gold.
If you wanted a full “white gold look” it could be rhodium plated but that plating will then slowly wear off the shank Exposing the yellow gold. You can re rhodium plate as often as you like.
a good jewellery can give the ring a good clean and buff and it will look a million dollars. You can really slow down retarnishing by storing in an airtight container (put the ring box in a zip lock bag) and you can buy “anti tarnish” strips to store with your ring. These anti tarnish strips help a lot, I have a silver flute and they have made a huge difference.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I wouldn't - it is stunning :love: and since it's so old I'd just leave it as is. Bron has great tips to keep it from tarnishing. Would love to see more pics of this beauty.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would leave it, I LOVE the look of "antiqued" silver! I just have it cleaned professionally once and then keep at it with a jewelers cloth and diamond cleaning that's safe for the silver. Such a gorgeous piece!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Please don't dip it! It would diminish the value of this antique.
Have you had it tested or appraised? I can't tell from the photos if it is paste or diamond or topaz or...
At any rate, it is lovely.
How about some more pics, from all angles?

Thank you. Yes it has been tested and appraised. It has a selection of different sized old mine diamonds. All G-H and SI1.
More pics to follow...

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I tried to capture the gallery too, but it was just a blur.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is lovely - I wouldn't dip it! Enjoy it as is!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow it's gorgeous!!! thank you for the extra pics!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I'd go the other direction entirely! Old mine diamonds set in oxidised silver is quite beautiful, setting off the stones to dramatic effect. <3

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful as is but if dipping it makes the difference in how often you wear it and how much you love it then I say dip it. It would be a shame for that beautiful ring to stay in your jewelry box unworn.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It is beautifully made in every way. IMHO, do not worry about silver patina, it is a badge of honor for such things. It might take a year of wear for it to come back, now that the silver is at its brightest!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
no, don’t replate it, in any regard you can’t “just plate” the head and leave the shank yellow gold.

This isn't true - they can absolutely rhodium plate just part of a ring.

@chamois - this ring is meant to be worn with the silver darkened, not bright white. I wouldn't plate it personally, but it's up to you. If I did anything to it, I'd have a jeweler blacken the silver so you get the full effect without having to wait. But, again, do whatever makes you wear it.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that is a stunning antique ring. Congratulations!!

I personally would not dip it, both for aesthetic reasons and because dipping could affect the antique value. There are many high fashion jewelers trying to approximate the same visual effect through black rhodium plating... you already have the real thing!

However, the most important thing is that you wear and enjoy the ring. If that means rhodium dipping, you will be able to do that with a good jeweler without affecting the yellow gold parts, like @distracts says.

Another option is to store the ring with 3M anti-tarnish paper and silica gel inside a sealed plastic bag. That is how I store much of my antique silver collection.

In any case its a truly stunning ring. Thank you for showing it to us!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isn't true - they can absolutely rhodium plate just part of a ring.

@chamois - this ring is meant to be worn with the silver darkened, not bright white. I wouldn't plate it personally, but it's up to you. If I did anything to it, I'd have a jeweler blacken the silver so you get the full effect without having to wait. But, again, do whatever makes you wear it.

So my jeweller told me a fib then. Hmmm, I’ll be having a word me thinks!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
88A35337-6545-45B7-B947-CF81FCDBA5D7.jpeg

Thanks for your replies.

Here it is, not good at taking pics of diamonds, it is so hard to capture what I see with my eyes. This ring was my Great Great Grandmother’s ring, my Great Aunt then inherited it. Subsequently the ring was then inherited by my Mum from her Aunt, I now have it.

The band is YG.

She's a beauty
Im now in the don't dip camp- at least not untill its cleaned and sized and valued by a trusted jewler

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Wow beautiful historical piece. You don’t want to disturb it. Wear it as is. Stunning ring!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late to this thread but another no dip vote...I love the ring. Romantic and old school and I would love it as it is. I love the darkened silver and in fact when I had a cluster ring made I asked the jeweler to do just that and "tarnish" the gold. It is such a pretty look. Congrats on a yummy ring!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't But if you will wear it more then yes, have it replated. Its really more about what you would want out of it. A ring that lovely shouldn't be sitting in a box.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in camp no-dip. Victorian rings in sterling silver were meant to be tarnished; the blackened silver was considered a desirable contrast to sparkling diamonds. It’s a lovely ring and I hope you’ll give it a chance as is!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I hope you won't dip your beautiful antique heirloom. What an enchanting piece of family history!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results