shape
carat
color
clarity

Dilemma : is it worth buying ? (<1carat outside US)

Boubz

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I consider myself as a newbie in terms of stones' knowledge.
My project is nothing new here : finding a beautiful diamond mounted on a ring for my girlfriend's birthday.
All she wants is a decent stone, she'll prefer size (=weight) among all other criteria.
She saw a 0.64c diamond she liked in term of weight, so I know it's be a minimum.

After quite some hours of search, I understood the complexity of what makes a beautiful diamond, and I could not accept to only seek for size and "not too yellow" stone.

If I put money in it, I want it to be at least "good".
Anyway I'm not living in the US and I am running out of time so I also needed to find an online jeweller that also was able to mount the stone (there's only a very few in my country), which narrows the possibilities

I found a jeweller which has access to a fair number of stones within my budget (<= 3k€ for the stone). Unfortunately most of the stones where >4 HCA...

I was starting to lose faith but I finally found this stone I need your experimented opinion on :

Certificate by GIA
Carat Weight: 0.71 carat
Color: D
Clarity: VS2
Cut / Symmetry / Polish: Excellent / Excellent / Excellent
Fluo : medium blue
Clarity characteristics: Feather

Measurements: 5.67 - 5.71 x 5.53 mm
Depth: 62.0 %
Table: 57 %
Crown Angle: 35.5°
Crown Height: 15%
Pavilion Angle: 40.6°
Pavilion Depth: 42.5%
Star Length: 45%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet: None

It obtained a decent HCA score of 1.3
Light Return:Excellent
Fire:Excellent
Scintillation:Excellent
Spread:Very Good
HCA Score :1.3 - Excellent - within TIC range

I don't see anything that really bother me on the picture but I don't have an exercised look so I would appreciate to have your opinion :
20200525_004157.jpg
20200525_004125.jpg
20200525_004100.jpg
20200525_004031.jpg

The price is a little less than 3k€ (approx 3.2k$).
The most negative point to me is the fluorescence, especially because of the D color, but I think I'm ok with that as the price wouldn't be the same without it. I recognize that as an online buyer I try to be careful to every detail.

Again I would really appreciate to have your opinion.
Am I right to spend this price for those specs?
Should I try to find something bigger for the same price (0.8 G Si1, etc)?
Taking into account the relatively small size, Am I not going too far in my criterias?

Many thanks and a wonderful day !

Reactions: AV_

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert, but the one thing that stands out to me in the first picture is the dark area between the shafts of the arrows. It might be obstruction. Hopefully those more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Are you planning to propose to your girlfriend for her birthday? A sizeable diamond ring would likely make her think it was a proposal, so just wanted to check!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless your gf is very color sensitive, I would look for a bigger stone that is G+ color. In a sub 1ct stone, the difference between D/E and F/G is less noticable.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Agree with @lovedogs. If you kept the same stats aside from color, you could likely get close to or even a full 1ct for G/H color. If she cares about size over everything that is a substantial jump in size!

Boubz

Rough_Rock
I'm not an expert, but the one thing that stands out to me in the first picture is the dark area between the shafts of the arrows. It might be obstruction. Hopefully those more knowledgeable than I will chime in.
I didn't notice it, I would be happy to have an expert opinion ! Thank you for noticing it !

Agree with @lovedogs. If you kept the same stats aside from color, you could likely get close to or even a full 1ct for G/H color. If she cares about size over everything that is a substantial jump in size!

I agree, unfortunately in the same price range the only things I found were 0.80 H/I with >3 HCA scores... So for 0.09 carat is it worth it ? If I could jump to 0.95/1 carat with a G color and similar characteritics no doubt that I'd go for it.

Thank you

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not an expert... but IIRC the 'dark circle' round the light circle in the centre is just obstruction from the camera, and in 'real life' it would not present an issue.

(The light circle in the centre is a reflection of the table.)

As above, you could get a larger stone by dropping to F/G colour, but if stock is limited where you are (and you don't want to buy over the internet) you must go with what is available.

D colour is still cool to have :) and the fluorescence might give it a subtle 'ethereal' glow in sunlight or UV lighting at a club!

Which country are you in?

Does the vendor you are working with have a website listing their stones, which we could browse through for you? :)

You can use the Search tool at the top of the forum to check prices for similar carat/colour/clarity stones available online - select 'Excellent' in the HCA scores section and you will filter out stones that may not perform so well.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert... but IIRC the 'dark circle' round the light circle in the centre is just obstruction from the camera, and in 'real life' it would not present an issue.

(The light circle in the centre is a reflection of the table.)

As above, you could get a larger stone by dropping to F/G colour, but if stock is limited where you are (and you don't want to buy over the internet) you must go with what is available.

D colour is still cool to have :) and the fluorescence might give it a subtle 'ethereal' glow in sunlight or UV lighting at a club!

Which country are you in?

Does the vendor you are working with have a website listing their stones, which we could browse through for you? :)

You can use the Search tool at the top of the forum to check prices for similar carat/colour/clarity stones available online - select 'Excellent' in the HCA scores section and you will filter out stones that may not perform so well.

Thank you! Good to know obstruction from the camera isn't a big deal.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
I didn't notice it, I would be happy to have an expert opinion ! Thank you for noticing it !

I agree, unfortunately in the same price range the only things I found were 0.80 H/I with >3 HCA scores... So for 0.09 carat is it worth it ? If I could jump to 0.95/1 carat with a G color and similar characteritics no doubt that I'd go for it.

Thank you

That's fair! What websites/vendors are you looking at? I know PS highly recommends Whiteflash (in case you haven't looked yet). I personally am not very color sensitive but ladies here recommend not going below I just in case your partner is. I wonder if anyone else here would recommend going as low as I color?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This is only 0.66 cts. but perfect - www

The shop has rather great habits - sending diamonds for private viewing & discretionary upgrades; they are notorious around here.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Go big or go home. I think you can get a stunning H /SI1and get a bigger stone. Best would be to get an ideal cut from one of the recommended vendors here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results