shape
carat
color
clarity

Difficult Decision

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

OneMoreBite

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''m trying to learn what I can about diamonds, and from this site, I''ve learned a lot (mostly, I''ve learned, I have a lot to learn.) That said, we''ve purchased my setting, and now need to choose the center stone. My budget is $7600 m/l and my preference is 1 ct. m/l.

I''ve gotten some possibilites from WhiteFlash. I''d probably prefer a better quality with more flash over bigger size if I had to make that choice.

Here are the two main contenders:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1163790.htm
ES 1.02 H VVS2 - $6454

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1163791.htm
ES 1.02 H VVS1 - $7154

The last one was the one I was leaning toward, but is there a reason the other would be a better choice? With a $700 price difference, I''d love to know what''s the main reason for that differential; is it just the VVS1 compared to a VVS2? Or is there something about the cut, etc. that I can''t know without seeing it up close?

Secondly, does the setting make a difference in the selection? Mine is white gold, with a bevel setting for the center stone, it''s set high, so if you turn the ring you can see the entire diamond, so would it make sense for either a larger stone, or a deeper cut? Here is a similar setting to mine: http://www.mastini.com/product.cfm?PI=12701 although you can''t see the side view, also mine has a "S" shaped band.

If anyone has ideas or suggestions, I''d love to hear from you.

Kathryn

kbaker

Shiny_Rock
I would go up in color and down in clarity...What are you thoughts on that?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey kathryn
35.gif
welcome to ps!

both of those are great looking stones, i am sure you would be extremely happy with either. the price difference may be attributed to the difference in clarity, but it''s hard to say for sure. they are both great cuts and i couldn''t say that one is definitely better than the other. if you saw them side by side, they could be twinsies.
2.gif
pick the one that you like best and go for it.
36.gif

i like your setting choice!
36.gif

OneMoreBite

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/4/2005 9:03:11 PM
Author: So.Cal Girl
That''s the trouble. The more time I spend looking, the better the quality I keep seeing, so that''s why I''m asking for advice. Where do you draw the line? I haven''t been to local jewelers to see color difference, etc., mostly because I''m sure everything I''d see I''d love, and frankly, my eyesight isn''t the best (I don''t have glasses, but probably should).

So, is it your opinion that wanting something with the fewest inclusions is not necessarily the best criteria, especially at my price point?

Kathryn

OneMoreBite

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/4/2005 9:04:14 PM
Author: belle
hey kathryn
35.gif
welcome to ps!
Thanks, Belle. I''ve been lurking for some time. This is my kinda place, that''s for sure. I''ve had a long fascination with rocks, my grandpa was a rockhound. I took faceting lessons too, but couldn''t afford equipment so had to stop--perhaps I can take it up again at some point.
36.gif

both of those are great looking stones, i am sure you would be extremely happy with either. I like your setting choice!
My guess is you''re absolutely correct.

The setting is similar to the original I had when I was formerly married to my fiance. We''ve been apart for 19 years, and now we''re back together again like we were never away. Very sweet and romantic. Thanks for your help. I really just wanted to ask someone who knows more than I, but I had a very good idea they would either be a good choice.

If anyone has other suggestions, I''m still open. We''ll probably pick a stone this week so we can get it set before Christmas.

Kathryn

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2005 9:50:49 PM
Author: OneMoreBite

Date: 12/4/2005 9:03:11 PM
Author: So.Cal Girl
That''s the trouble. [...] Where do you draw the line? I haven''t been to local jewelers to see color difference, etc., mostly because I''m sure everything I''d see I''d love, and frankly, my eyesight isn''t the best
H-SI1 ? (since H works for you, otherwise that might have been I).

I don''t think you will see any difference in clarity without magnification - at least in some SI1s (most of them).

VS2... by all means. I don''t know what good does VVS do to earrings - unless you like the thought of ''flawlessness'' as a an abstract value.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
$7600 is a very healthy budget. But IMO, you should definately go down in clarity. Keep in mind that most people cannot tell the difference between an IF and a VS2, when casually looking at a diamond. Many SI1s are completely eye clean. If clarity is a psychological thing for you and you just like the idea of a stone with the tiniest of inclusions, I would stick to the VVS range. However, if you simply want a diamond that is eye clean, you could definately go to a VS2 or SI1 and save a bundle.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2005 10:01:16 PM
Author: jazmine

you could definately go to a VS2 or SI1 and save a bundle.

Speaking of 'bundle"

- it could either be 1.2 cts for the money (like this)

Or 1k less (like this G and some other G and H in the same league).

If either the extra bit of diamond or cash count...

OneMoreBite

Rough_Rock
$7600 is a very healthy budget. But IMO, you should definately go down in clarity. Keep in mind that most people cannot tell the difference between an IF and a VS2, when casually looking at a diamond. Many SI1s are completely eye clean. If clarity is a psychological thing for you and you just like the idea of a stone with the tiniest of inclusions, I would stick to the VVS range. However, if you simply want a diamond that is eye clean, you could definately go to a VS2 or SI1 and save a bundle.
I''m more interested in the brillance, and not seeing anything obvious, so that clarity is because I saw too many closeups more than anything.

I''d be more than happy to drop the clarity if that makes sense.

Here''s another example:
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1260937.htm

When you look at the idealscope image, it''s quite dark. Is that what you want to see? I saw another that was quite light, meaning light red, not the white areas showing through. Would that stone be an example of moving down in clarity?

I can''t think of anything more fun than looking at diamonds.

Kathryn

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Unless the stone is cloudy, I don't think going down in clarity will be reflected in the red color of the idealscope.

Also, I see you jumped to an "F," from an "H." Where are you trying to be, colorwise?

OneMoreBite

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/4/2005 10:10:33 PM
Author: valeria101

you could definately go to a VS2 or SI1 and save a bundle.

Speaking of ''bundle''

- it could either be 1.2 cts for the money (like this)

Or 1k less (like this G and some other G and H in the same league).
Yikes! I see what you mean. Those both look very similar to the others I''m seeing.

Is there a way to know how large a stone my setting could have?

OneMoreBite

Rough_Rock
Okay, so comparing these two, which makes better sense? They are quite similar, yet the better color stone is $500 more, so is it the quality of the cut that makes that difference? Looking at the

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1260937.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1163791.htm

Any opinions between these two? Looking at the Ideal Scope, the first is mostly reds, with very little white spots, is that what I''m wanting to see?

I really appreciate all the help, and I''m enjoying this way too much
31.gif

Kathryn

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kathryn, I like both stones. They both have great IdealScope images. But I'd go for the F/VS2 over the H/VVS any day.
1.gif

ETA: I also love the ones that Ana found for you. You could either save money or go for a bigger stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results