shape
carat
color
clarity

Different jewelry stores = different ring size?

Melanie611

Shiny_Rock
My fiance picked out his wedding band. It's by Tacori and has this cool inner vented design. But he's been sized at 3 different jewelry stores and came up with 3 different sizes. The first store they sized him at 9.25 since the 9.5 was a little loose. We went to a second store and this time the 9.5 was tight so they sized him at 9.75. Finally, I had him go to a 3rd store yesterday and they sized him at 9.5. He also tried on a sample Tacori band and the sample size 10 was loose. He wants his ring to be well fitted and not move around. But I'm worried about having to resize the band with the inner venting, so it has to be the correct size. Any advice on which size to order? We're ordering online to save a bit on tax. (Btw, he went to each store in the early afternoon. I know fingers can swell at different times of the day)

l_1086d.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
It also depends on how thick (in mm) the bands were that he tried on. I would disregard the sizing of any band that wasn't the same as this one. For example my DH wears a size 8.25 if the band is over 5mm. However, if it is under he can easily wear a size 8.

Does the website have a return policey were you can return and then order a different size? I would probable order the 9.5 and sees he feels about it.

hawk25

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately this happens, as to my knowledge, store ring sizers aren't necessarily all standardized with each other. I know my own size can be anywhere from 7 to 7.5, depending on the store. Is it possible to order plastic ring sizers from the vendor you're ordering from? That way, you're using the same measurements as they are. If that's not possible, maybe find a plastic sizer from somewhere else, and mail it to them to use a guide

Melanie611

Shiny_Rock
The Tacori band he likes is 6 mm. I think the ring sizers were about the same???

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear621|1368625616|3447297 said:
For example my DH wears a size 8.25 if the band is over 5mm. However, if it is under he can easily wear a size 8.

I have the same problem. If it's a wide band I need a bigger size. The temperature is also a huge factor. In the summer my rings fit nice and snug but in the winter they slide all over the place.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PS - I love that band. It's very nice!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
iluvshinythings|1368626166|3447306 said:
Sarahbear621|1368625616|3447297 said:
For example my DH wears a size 8.25 if the band is over 5mm. However, if it is under he can easily wear a size 8.

I have the same problem. If it's a wide band I need a bigger size. The temperature is also a huge factor. In the summer my rings fit nice and snug but in the winter they slide all over the place.

I was going to mention this ... it's more of an issue for women than men because our hormones cycle more rapidly, we retain water at certain times of the month ... but if he was sized on different days (when it was hot, cold, when he'd had a lot of salt, whatever), it could be biology and not employee error.

I second the plastic sizer idea. Failing that, maybe order a steel band for him in the most likely size, and see if it's comfortable over the course of a week?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since the interior is open it probably fits looser than some other rings. That gives your finger skin somewhere to go, if that makes sense?

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous band. My SO is also ordering a tacori band and we're experiencing the same sizing issue. As Thing2of2 said, between the venting and the angle edge of band, it gives a bit of wiggle room for getting it off and on but that still doesn't give you an answer for what size to order. Did you contact the online vendor with this issue? I would talk to them and see what they say (out of curiosity, who are you using? tqdiamonds?)

As a last resort (and probably not a great option), you could print out the tacori ring sizer on paper....

Let us know how it turns out.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many variables:
1. Thicker rings need a larger size than a thinner ring
2. Fingers swell up in summer compared to an air conditioned room, this includes body temperature (if you've been working out or feeling hot / cold)
3. Water retention can cause an increase in finger size anywhere up to a half size
4. There is some slight difference between mandrels which account for a 0.25 difference.

diamondloveaffair

Shiny_Rock
The style of ring is also a cause for discrepency. For example, Comfort fit rings take on a curve on the interior of the ring. A same sized comfort fitted ring will feel tighter than a normal one.

Melanie611

Shiny_Rock
maccers, I did contact tqdiamonds and a bunch of others. All of them quoted me the same price on the band. I guess Tacori has pretty fixed pricing. We're going with one in the Chicago area since it's a bit closer to us, just in case we have any issues with the ring in the future. But tq was definitely my second choice. The sales rep that I chatted with was very helpful. And they seem to have a big selection of Tacori listed online. I liked being able to see all the options.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm leaning toward the 9.5. The sample Tacori band was definitely looser that he wants it to be and that was a 10. I don't think it was listed as a comfort fit, but I'm not sure. I'm just worried it will be too tight. And with the ring costing $4K, I don't want to get it wrong. So confusing! :errrr:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if he needed a 9.75 on one occasion, you need to go with that. We haven't even had summer yet when fingers often are larger. Everyone has to deal with rings looser sometimes and tighter sometimes. But I cannot deal with tight, so I would always err on having them at the slightly larger size rather than too small.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results