shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference, taste-wise, between Chilean Sea Bass and Halibut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quick and stupid question, but I know you domestic goddesses can help me...

I have a recipe (Macadamia-Crusted Sea Bass with Mango Cream Sauce) that calls for sea bass, but the fish guy at Gelson's said that their halibut was better. I'm a pushover so I got the halibut, thinking "fish is fish."

Can I substitute it, or will it taste funny with a mango cream sauce?

Someday I'll know all about this stuff...
37.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a fish eater myself, but I often see recipes that say "sea bass OR halibut", so I think you''ll be fine.

Good Luck!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh sweet, thanks!!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
The taste is very close, the texture is a little different. Thin white fish are usually fairly interchangable in such recipes. Plus, halibut is much better for the enviroment

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I have to say that I am not a fan of the texture of Chilean Sea Bass. It''s sort of spongy vs. flaky.
Halibut is my favorite white fish. Unless I am being thrifty, and then I use Tilipia.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chilean sea bass = Patagonian toothfish

Hee hee hee hee hee....

I'm thinking you've already made it-how did it turn out?

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
I love well prepared Chilean Sea Bass. It does have a succulent flaky texture, and it is so tasty and divine if done right. Unfortunately I have yet to succeed at preparing it well. It is indeed overfished and there are lots of rules protecting these guys...only a select group of fishers is allowed to catch and sell CBS.

I am curious Musey, how was it?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whoops, didn''t think to check back!

It turned out great, except I would''ve just left the sauce off. I think the whole nut-encrusted thing carried itself... but then, I''m not big (at ALL) on sauces, I usually scrape it off and only leave just enough to get the flavor
3.gif

Also, I think my mango wasn''t quite ripe enough and that gave the sauce a bit of a twang that I wasn''t crazy about!!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
The taste should be very similar, but sea bass is sweeter, and has a more delicate texture - sea bass is more simiar to a scallop than other white fish, in texture and taste, IMO. Haibut is a really lovely white fish though and should go very well with your recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results