shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference in T.W. diamong and IGI certified diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dfor_diamond

Rough_Rock
I bought these .50C TW studs, and now wanted to trade it with 1c. But I am confused whether now I should buy those IGI certified diamonds or same TW... Not sure how much difference it makes in terms of clarity and return value. As there is a good difference in terms of price.

Please suggest me.
thanks!

Dfor_diamond

Rough_Rock
hoping I will get some good guidance from here, as I am newbie in diamonds
1.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 10:41:57 PM
Author:Dfor_diamond
I bought these .50C TW studs, and now wanted to trade it with 1c. But I am confused whether now I should buy those IGI certified diamonds or same TW... Not sure how much difference it makes in terms of clarity and return value. As there is a good difference in terms of price.

Please suggest me.
thanks!

Could you restate your question (or delima). I''m not sure I''m getting the whole picture
40.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please suggest me.
thanks!
Hi dfor,

Just to make sure I understand your question, you have .50 TW studs and you want to trade them in to get 1 carat studs? Is it a choice you have between your new diamonds having an IGI report or without a report?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock

Please suggest me.
thanks!
Still on the interpretation of the question: DforDiamond, do you know that TW means "Total Weight", it''s not a brand? I can read your question in two ways depending on that.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The price of diamonds goes up rather steeply with the weight so a half carat diamond is going to be more than twice as expensive as an otherwise similar quarter carater. That’s the reason the dealers promote things in terms of total weight (T.W.). Two earrings of a quarter carat each will be described as a half carat t.w. because it sounds better. The other thing that has a big affect on the price is the grading on the individual stones. One half carat stone can cost 10x as much as another. The combination of these two makes a huge range of possible answers to your question and the real solution is to talk to the dealer selling you the IGI pair and ask them how much they’ll give you on the trade-in for your existing pair. Then shop the IGI pair against the other dealers to see if the selling price is competitive and that they are what you want.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results