shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference between Imperial Topaz and coated topaz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemgoddis

Rough_Rock
I have a pendant and earings that my husband bought me. He was told that they are light topaz. From looking at other posts they could either be imperial topaz or coated topaz. They are orange with brilliant pink and peach hues. He bought them on a cruise for what he was told was a major discount (something to due with being duty free) but did not pay thousands for them. How can I tell if these are imperial or coated topaz? I''ll try to get some good pictures to post in bit.

Thanks for your help
35.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Hi gemgoddis.
I am by any means an expert but I''ll take a shot at answering your question.
From what my limeted experince has taught me is natural imperial topaz is not very saturated with a bright orangish hue.They look to have a lot more of a brownish hue. Even the reddish hue is more brownish. Thats not to say they are not attractive. If imperial topaz were the color of those coated "sunset stones" they would be veery expensive.
Those coated stones are a lot more saturated in color.

gemgoddis

Rough_Rock
Here are the pics. They may be a little blurry but the color is pretty accurate. Thanks for the input CMW. I think you may be right, from all I''ve read they are probably coated topaz. Oh well, they are still perfectly sparkly and I get comments on them all the time. Well worth my hubby''s money
30.gif

img26333dc.jpg
img26306qw.jpg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
They look like imperial topaz to me. I have a beautiful imperial topaz ring. It is relatively inexpensive, so I wouldn''t be surprised if they are imperial topaz. Peachy-pink is the color of the stone.

riogems

Shiny_Rock
It looks like coated topaz to me for a few reasons...

The quickest way to tell, is to look at the back of the stone. Does it appear to have something that looks kind of frosted on it? Is the color different from the back than from the front?

Also, the best imperial topaz is not cheap either; and easily over $1,000/carat.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can kind of feel the coating on the topaz with your fingers once you handle some if it compared to uncoated stones.
Ever wonder why the sell jewelry cheap on these cruises and in the islands??? Has nothing to do with duty.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Natural Imperial Topaz in that color would be pretty expensive.

Most stones are coated only on the bottom. If the setting will allow it, try looking through the stone from the side. If it''s coated only the bottom part should show color; the crown should be clear with no color.

There are several methods of coating, however, and this test may not apply to all. But it''s worth a try.

Richard M.

gemgoddis

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info Richard, that was the deciding factor. I was able to tell from the side that indeed the bottom is colored and the top is clear. Oh well, at least now I know. What is a fair price per carat for a coated topaz? Even though I love the set, I''d hate to think my hubby was swindled.

riogems

Shiny_Rock
I think a fair price to the public (ie retail) is around $4-6/ct.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results