shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference between EX/EX/EX, Triple 0 and H&A or equivalent

sjay184

Rough_Rock
I feel like I am being pushed into buying a signature series over a GIA triple EX. There is a noticeable price difference in my own opinion, and from what I could tell when I visited brick and mortar shops, the GIA EX/EX/EX's were quite nice...so what am I really missing out on by optiing not to go for an H&A or anything else super "special" like that...can I have some pictures? I am sick of looking at all these technical measurements, how does it really differ in real life? Can I see some examples?

Please excuse my frustration!

Many thanks in advance!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: Difference between EX/EX/EX, Triple 0 and H&A or equival

not all GIA Ex are equal-there is significant variation within the GIA Ex grade. going with a 'signature series' usually comes with better policies with respect to upgrades/etc if that is important to you and more information such as detailed pictures. however there is nothing wrong with a GIA Ex/Ex/Ex. I would use the HCA tool (pricescope.com/tools/hca) to find some good candidates and view with your own eyes in different lighting conditions to see what you prefer. There are many 'flavors' of well-cut stones and you very may well prefer one that has a different look from the 'signature H&As'

sjay184

Rough_Rock

Yea, I recently read about the HCA stuff but heard that it is not that accurate...regardless of whether that is true...I am just frusterated because I feel like my customer service person is making it sound like GIA triple EX is terrible. Additionally, as soon as I think I know something about diamonds, I feel like I learn a new, unheard to the general public, metric for the diamond's awesomeness. LOL.. when I think I find the best specs, I learn something new, and it is just driving me insane!

What happend to the basic grading reports? Are we just nit-picking? Is this a difference that the general public will notice? Am I only making things worse by obsessing over these details? Are these gains only marginal?

This is sort of a rant. Forgive me!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

well GIA Ex Ex Ex is certainly not terrible, although not all are equal. are you working locally or with an online vendor? if locally I would look at some diamonds in person in different lighting and use your eyes to compare. if online then all you have to go by are the numbers unless the vendor provides images/idealscope images/video/etc.

HCA is only one tool for evaluating cut and it is a rather blunt one. it misses some nice diamonds but overall it is useful when going by numbers alone.

as far as different metrics for evaluating cut...yes there are many (idealscope, ASET, HCA, AGA cut class...). if it matters to you you can take the time to learn about them and decide whether or not you want to use them. I suspect many vendors do not use them because they are not selling well-cut stones and they want to push other factors such as color and clarity. on PS there is a 'cut nut' culture and the vendors who cater to PS members provide these sorts of images.

sjay184

Rough_Rock

Hahahaha! Cut nuts. :D

I am dealing with a PS-style reputable online dealer. I would prefer to not say the name at this time in order to focus on my question and not let anyone's biases interfere with what I am asking.

Annnnyway, I guess I am not that sensitive to cuts when it comes to ex/ex/ex and above, nor would I like to teach myself to be that sensitive. :D I just want something that looks good in general, and can wow your non-expert. For me, the ex/ex/ex seems high enough.
I know GOG has some video blogs, perhaps I will look into those...if anyone knows some good examples of pictures and or videos, please go ahead and post!

Thanks for the responses so far. Have a wonderful evening everyone. This is a great forum!

sjay184

Rough_Rock

Interestingly, none of the GIA Ex's shown were triple Ex's.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

sjay184|1311312821|2974375 said:
Interestingly, none of the GIA Ex's shown were triple Ex's.

It is said in quite a few places that of the three ex, polish is the one that is very hard even for the professionals to differentiate between a very good and ex polish level using MKII eyeball sight or loupes.

Cut and symmetry is easier to tell apart especially if you have H&A patterning or an ASET scope or idealscope.

Actually, you can just look over the videos at GOG or look at the inventory pictures at James Allen and make up your mind on your preference for the Cs. Anything GIA ex and above would be at least a good diamond.

If you want to obsess, when you have the links to your favorites, post them here and you'll find many people who will obsess with you over the various differences :)

sjay184

Rough_Rock

Perhaps I will just lower my specs in my search to VG for polish then...can are girl want more carats?! : DDD

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

One thing to note is that if you decide to choose a GIA 3Ex that has leakage due to proportions not working well together, you will get a slightly less brilliant stone for about the same price as one that has proportions that work well together. That is what we want to minimize.

H&A, personal preference, you can even sometimes find one that is not marketed as a H&A that has good optical symm and a H&A with bad optical symm, so case by case, always verify that you are getting what you paid for.

should i be here

Shiny_Rock

So can a stone be H&A without being well-cut? Or is it the creme de la creme?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

yes, a stone can have optical symm to get a hearts image but with proportions that is not the best for light return.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results