shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference between CZ and synthetic diamond

SparklingNina

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I need some help. Today I took my ring with a synthetic diamond on it to get its one prong fix. When I came home, I showed the ring to my husband, and right away I notice the crack on the stone where the is. Now, I am heartbroken since I got that ring from my mom 18 yrs ago. There was no crack on that stone. I don't know what to do. Does synthetic diamond get crack/chip easily? Or maybe the stone is actually a cubic zirconia. I took it to a jeweler and I am told it is synthetic diamond. I am not knowledgeable about jewelry, I don't know the difference between the two. I was hoping a synthetic diamond would be strong enough like the real diamonds. I want to go back to the jewelry repair store and talk to the owner but is it worth to go and complain? I am just sad. If a synthetic diamond is just like CZ I think it will lessen my disappointment. Anyone help me understand between the two. Thank you very much. 20190507_182734.jpg

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I'm sorry this happened to you! That's sad.... You might want to have admin move this to the Lab Grown/MMD section, you might get more responses there.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone, I need some help. Today I took my ring with a synthetic diamond on it to get its one prong fix. When I came home, I showed the ring to my husband, and right away I notice the crack on the stone where the is. Now, I am heartbroken since I got that ring from my mom 18 yrs ago. There was no crack on that stone. I don't know what to do. Does synthetic diamond get crack/chip easily? Or maybe the stone is actually a cubic zirconia. I took it to a jeweler and I am told it is synthetic diamond. I am not knowledgeable about jewelry, I don't know the difference between the two. I was hoping a synthetic diamond would be strong enough like the real diamonds. I want to go back to the jewelry repair store and talk to the owner but is it worth to go and complain? I am just sad. If a synthetic diamond is just like CZ I think it will lessen my disappointment. Anyone help me understand between the two. Thank you very much. 20190507_182734.jpg
I’m sorry that happened to your ring...There’s no way to tell without it being tested. I would go to different jewelry store and have them test it to see if it’s a cubic zirconia, moissanite, or a lab diamond. There are big differences between the three of them. I wouldn’t tell the jeweler anything about the other jeweler cracking the stone. Offer to pay them for the time to test the stone..I would tell them your mom gave it to you eighteen years ago..and you’re heartbroken. I don’t think they will charge you to test it..but they are spending their time so you should offer..Good luck..

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately any gemstone can chip or crack if too much pressure is applied in the wrong spot. The edge (girdle) of a gemstone is thin and tightening a prong requires the jeweller to “press down” on the prong until it’s against the gemstone. If he presses “too hard” or “slips off the prong” that’s when a chip / crack can occur. That said, while most usually accept no responsibility for damage, it should have been pointed out to you.
There are many gemstone both natural and manufactured in a lab that “look like” diamonds. There is natural white topaz, white sapphire or clear quartz which are “diamond like” to look at or grown in a lab synthetic style diamonds ie cubic zirconia, strontium titanite or similar.
Seeing as your ring is nearly 20 years old and referred to by the jeweller as a synthetic diamond it is most likely cubic zirconia. Synthetic diamond is just a nicer way of saying of manufactured clear stone that looks like a diamond. In more recent times another diamond lookalike stone has been created called Moissanite.
Cubic zirconia while pretty and sparkly aren’t very robust. They do scratch, chip and get worn facet edges over time.
You could replace your damaged CZ with another CZ or you might consider a Moissanite as these are harder and don’t scratch or chip as easily.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results