shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I pay too much?

Nana32792

Rough_Rock
I bought an I I2 2.01 Ct diamond solitaire ring for 8700 plus tax did i pay too much. Here is a pic of the ring. It sparkles like mad. Is has a GSL report. I have it paired with a .50 ct enhancer and 1.0 ct 5 stone ring. I can still take it back. The cut is ver good, good on both polish and symmetry. Measurements are 8.00 x 7.93 x 5.05. Any opinions would be appreciated. IMG_2653.JPG

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Most of the PS recommended vendors don't sell I2 clarity stones as far as I'm aware. Just checking on JA for I1 clarity I color ~2.01ct round brilliants that have a very good cut grading and which are graded by GIA rather than GSL (which may be a lower tier grading lab, there are a few labs with GSL as the abbreviation), the stones themselves are between USD9500 to USD10900.

On USA Certed, I can find an AGS graded 2.01 I I1 with excellent cut for around USD8700 for the stone itself. A GIA graded very good cut 2.08ct J I3 is going for around USD2200 and GIA graded excellent cut 2.16ct I I2 is going for around USD8600.

So on face value, you may have gotten a good deal if the 8700 was for the entire ring (which has accent stones on either side [look like princess and baguette cut stones on either side]).

GSL is more than likely to be much less strict on grading standards than GIA so your colour and clarity on the stone as well as cut grade as graded by GSL might be "inflated" (for lack of a better term) than if the stone was graded by GIA (who are likely to have graded it lower in colour and clarity and maybe cut grade too). As such, the stone may be worth less "retail" after factoring in discounts that the trade has on non AGS/GIA graded stones. Having said that, if the GSL is referring to the preferred grading lab of the Gemmological Association of Australia (Gem Studies Laboratory), I'd temper my opinion above as that is one of the more respected labs here in Australia.

Last edited:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Further to my post above, I'm guessing that you are in North America and the GSL referred to is the one based up in Canada (Toronto). From what I've read online, there can be significant variations in colour and clarity (and potentially cut grade) when stones are graded by GSL Canada rather than GIA or AGS (or even the more independent boutique labs like GCAL, AGA, AGR, etc).

Nana32792

Rough_Rock
Most of the PS recommended vendors don't sell I2 clarity stones as far as I'm aware. Just checking on JA for I1 clarity I color ~2.01ct round brilliants that have a very good cut grading and which are graded by GIA rather than GSL (which may be a lower tier grading lab, there are a few labs with GSL as the abbreviation), the stones themselves are between USD9500 to USD10900.

On USA Certed, I can find an AGS graded 2.01 I I1 with excellent cut for around USD8700 for the stone itself. A GIA graded very good cut 2.08ct J I3 is going for around USD2200 and GIA graded excellent cut 2.16ct I I2 is going for around USD8600.

So on face value, you may have gotten a good deal if the 8700 was for the entire ring (which has accent stones on either side [look like princess and baguette cut stones on either side]).

GSL is more than likely to be much less strict on grading standards than GIA so your colour and clarity on the stone as well as cut grade as graded by GSL might be "inflated" (for lack of a better term) than if the stone was graded by GIA (who are likely to have graded it lower in colour and clarity and maybe cut grade too). As such, the stone may be worth less "retail" after factoring in discounts that the trade has on non AGS/GIA graded stones. Having said that, if the GSL is referring to the preferred grading lab of the Gemmological Association of Australia (Gem Studies Laboratory), I'd temper my opinion above as that is one of the more respected labs here in Australia.

It doesn't include the princess and baguettes, that is an enhancer I already had.

Nana32792

Rough_Rock
Further to my post above, I'm guessing that you are in North America and the GSL referred to is the one based up in Canada (Toronto). From what I've read online, there can be significant variations in colour and clarity (and potentially cut grade) when stones are graded by GSL Canada rather than GIA or AGS (or even the more independent boutique labs like GCAL, AGA, AGR, etc).

The card I received says Dallas, Toronto, Mumbai, and Chennai.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
8700. In what currency?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
loose stone or set?

Nana32792

Rough_Rock
I bought it at a B&M store, but I didn't want to fool with buying something online I can't see in person. The stone has no carbon.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are happy with how it performs, then you paid an ok amount. If you want us to pick it apart, it will make you feel bad. So you need to decide what path you want to take.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do like how you've paired it with the enhancer and the 5-stone ring. It's a nice look. I'm estimating about USD1k for the cost of the setting which means a price of USD7700 for the stone.

As for your stone, do you happen to have the GSL report number handy? Am curious to see what specs it has. I understand that particular GSL lab is the main lab for a lot of Canuck mainstream b&m retailers who want sell graded stones (and is the lab where I've read online about lax grading standards).

And as ecf8503 has said, we here at PS can pick apart diamond purchases from now until the cows come home. So it really depends on whether you are really looking for help to determine whether you want to return it and purchase something better (as you've said you can still take it back at this stage) or whether you just want comments and are happy with your purchase.

Nana32792

Rough_Rock
Thanks just a little reassurance that I didn't get ripped too bad. Hubby helped pick it out. I usually don't buy any jewelry unless it's a good buy. I've wanted a larger solitaire for quite some time. I figured being married for 39 yrs this year would be a good time to get one.

Nana32792

Rough_Rock
I do like how you've paired it with the enhancer and the 5-stone ring. It's a nice look. I'm estimating about USD1k for the cost of the setting which means a price of USD7700 for the stone.

As for your stone, do you happen to have the GSL report number handy? Am curious to see what specs it has. I understand that particular GSL lab is the main lab for a lot of Canuck mainstream b&m retailers who want sell graded stones (and is the lab where I've read online about lax grading standards).

And as ecf8503 has said, we here at PS can pick apart diamond purchases from now until the cows come home. So it really depends on whether you are really looking for help to determine whether you want to return it and purchase something better (as you've said you can still take it back at this stage) or whether you just want comments and are happy with your purchase.
Gsl #1098908 it doesn't really have much info on it.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can definitely see the inclusions in the photo that you posted but I wasn't able to notice any black inclusions (which is a good thing). For me that type of a stone is one that I would avoid (I'm anally retentive about diamond cut quality and the stone being eye-clean), but if you and hubby had both picked it out and are happy with it for the price you paid, then that's a good thing. :dance:

And I see what you mean about the report not having much on it.

On a completely different note, congrats on 39 years of marriage! :) My wife and I are almost at 6 years and we had our first bub this year. So we're both looking forward to making it to the stage where you and your husband are at.

Nana32792

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Hope for many more for you and your wife. It doesn't have any carbon. It does have about 3 inclusions, which are feathers and one line in it nowhere near any surfaces though. It's hard to get a good pic though if you zoom in too much looks pixelated. My 1 ct is worse but I've had it for several years. Hopefully my next upgrade will be a better clarity and maybe 4 CT if I live long enough lol.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamonds are made of carbon hope that is what you got, Is their a crapbon? Dont Know..

don;t see many I2;s here

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It seems budget is a big priority. You can find better for the same price ( cleaner and a bit better cut) online. Considering this is an I2 non GIA stone and there are stones that are I1 and better cut and color for the same price (I saw a few on B2C and Enchanted diamonds, both websites many people here have used)... I wouldn't say you got ripped off, but you could find a better deal if you were willing to try out online shopping...which it seems like you don't want to do. And thats ok! Just as long as you are knowledgable about your purchase and are happy with your decision. You are the one wearing your lovely set so it's just about what you (and hubby maybe ha) are comfortable with.

Also- Congratulations on your anniversary! so wonderful!

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/8939810/2-01-carat-round-diamond-g-color-i1-clarity

Same price, GIA graded, higher color, TOTALLY eye clean (it has clouds not shown but it will be way cleaner than your current stone). It's not the best of the best cut but its pretty good for the price.

...and thats just one example i found in 2 minutes of searching. Not trying to dissuade you at all, just wanted to let you know there are other options!

Nana32792

Rough_Rock
diamonds are made of carbon hope that is what you got, Is their a crapbon? Dont Know..

don;t see many I2;s here
I meant there are no black spots in it at all clear except for a few tiny clouds and feather that runs across you have to look at it real close too see it.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, you got some really good advice here. I just wanted to add: buy what makes you happy and what is the best compromise for YOUR priorities. If this is SIZE, that's totally OK.
But as the prosumers on this forum have said over and over again: there's no such thing as a "Deal" with diamonds. (Preloved items aside) You get what you pay for. In order to know what quality you are buying, stay with AGS or GIA certs (in the US). Also most times online prices are more competitive, when comparing apples to apples....

Nana32792

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results