shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I Overpay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DoctorMilkman

Rough_Rock
So I bought a 1.24 carat, D SI1 platinum tiffany setting ring from a brick and mortar store for $10,600 and looking around this site I''m feeling like I overpaid. I pick up the ring tomorrow and I have a 10 day period where I can return it for a refund. Do you think I should, or was I not ripped off too badly?

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I'm pretty sure you did. I just did a search up above and saw that the highest price was just over seven grand. Unless you got a $3600 setting, you most likely overpaid.
7.gif

zenit77

Rough_Rock
Do you have the cerificate? What are the other specs for the stone?

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2007 7:53:58 PM
Author: zenit77
Do you have the cerificate? What are the other specs for the stone?
Ditto.

Whiteflash has a 1.23ct E VS2 for $10,628, but it''s "A cut above", which is their highest cut grade.
Still...huge discrepancy between what is listed under the PS seach, and what is on WF''s site.
33.gif

DoctorMilkman

Rough_Rock
I dont have the cert with me. I pick up the ring tomorrow.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have certificate information on the diamond? AGS, GIA, EGL etc?

If you have the certificate or information on it please post it, it will help us help you. Also tell us who the lab that did the certification is. It does sound a high to me, but can''t comment on how high that price is until we have more information.

Info we need:
Measurements of diamond in terms of mm size.
Table
Depth
Crown angle
Pavillion Angle

DoctorMilkman

Rough_Rock
When I was in the store, I didnt feel like it was a bad deal... I had been around other stores in the area and was getting similar prices. I had never really considered buying a stone off the internet. Maybe when I see it tomorrow I won''t have this anxiety.

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
DM,

You didn''t overpay. Here''s why:

WF''s E VS2 ACA for 10.6k vs your D SI1 inc. ring for the same price. Assuming you have either a GIA or AGS cert, here''s my assessment:

Pros: includes platinum ring, better color, B&M service
Cons: most likely not as good as ACA specs, lower clarity

Overall I''d say the lower clarity cancels out the higher colour, which shows you''ve chosen a slightly less well cut diamond for a platinum ring (which itself costs $1,200 for a tiffany repro) and B&M service which you don''t get buying online. (included in this service is your ability to nitpick not only their diamonds, but also their settings, which I assume you would''ve chosen a setting with no flaws which so many people tend to fuss over after purchase - e.g. assymmetrical prongs, diamond not level, discoloration due to solder etc - so your RISK was much lower.)

In my opinion I think you got a truly great deal, given the poor reputation of B&M places and their huge markups.

jpk1102

Rough_Rock
If you think you overpaid, and probably did from my own research the last 2 weeks, take the folks up on the site who will give some sage advice. There are simply beautiful stones out there and prices are much better than B&M stores for the most part.

Definately post the info from the certification and compare.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/18/2007 8:14:53 PM
Author: echelon6
DM,

You didn't overpay. Here's why:

WF's E VS2 ACA for 10.6k vs your D SI1 inc. ring for the same price. Assuming you have either a GIA or AGS cert, here's my assessment:

Pros: includes platinum ring, better color, B&M service

Cons: most likely not as good as ACA specs, lower clarity

Overall I'd say the lower clarity cancels out the higher colour, which shows you've chosen a slightly less well cut diamond for a platinum ring (which itself costs $1,200 for a tiffany repro) and B&M service which you don't get buying online. (included in this service is your ability to nitpick not only their diamonds, but also their settings, which I assume you would've chosen a setting with no flaws which so many people tend to fuss over after purchase - e.g. assymmetrical prongs, diamond not level, discoloration due to solder etc - so your RISK was much lower.)

In my opinion I think you got a truly great deal, given the poor reputation of B&M places and their huge markups.

Feasibly, but you're assuming it's only slightly less well cut, and as you say, that it's an AGS or GIA. Two massive assumptions.

A popular vendor even lists a 1.24 D SI1 VG/EX EGL Excellent Ideal Cut (whatever that means) for $5200. Something fishy there, but you can see there's quite a range to make any solid conclusions.

And if it's not an AGS, GIA or some other reputable lab, how trustworthy is D, the SI1 and even the 1.24?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2007 10:17:46 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Definitely list the info from the cert when you get it. You can probably do better, and you may as well check while you are in the return period.

This one is 1.20 D SI1 and $7333, ideal cut, for comparison:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-395206.htm

That''s a lovely stone. Add this setting to it.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Narrow-V-Head-tiffany-style-Knife-Edge_792.htm $1,225 = $8,558

Plus the upgrade policy. Personally, that''s $1,500 I would love to have in my pocket... or to surprise her with a nice bracelet or nice pair of earrings with for the holidays.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2007 10:29:15 PM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 9/18/2007 10:17:46 PM

Definitely list the info from the cert when you get it. You can probably do better, and you may as well check while you are in the return period.

This one is 1.20 D SI1 and $7333, ideal cut, for comparison:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-395206.htm

That''s a lovely stone. Add this setting to it.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Narrow-V-Head-tiffany-style-Knife-Edge_792.htm $1,225 = $8,558

Plus the upgrade policy. Personally, that''s $1,500 I would love to have in my pocket... or to surprise her with a nice bracelet or nice pair of earrings with for the holidays.

I ditto Gypsy and diamondseeker! Return the ring, read up on cut here on PS, and go with a reputable vendor online to get the best price and stone possible.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oops I thought you were paying 10K not 10.6. So that''s 2K in your pocket for your lady. Those would buy some lovely upgradable studs...
31.gif
Or a lovely tennis bracelet. Or a WF bangle AND a pair of earrings.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Bracelets/Shared-Prong-Bangle_958.htm plus: http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Diamond_Studs/Huggable-Diamond-Earrings_1133.htm

Or this by itself. 2 carat tcw three prong tennis bracelet in 14K. $2,025. http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WF-TBB-133&CategID=3

Or this half bezel tennis bracelet for $120 more :
http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WF-TBB-209&CategID=3

That''s savvy shopping.
31.gif

OR.. you could turn that lovely solitare into a three stone.
Setting:
http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/zoom.aspx?ItemCode=WFR-UHrPt3st

Two side diamonds: 1800 for D or E SI ACA approximately .30 carats each.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE your thinking, Gypsy!
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2007 10:58:01 PM
I LOVE your thinking, Gypsy!
9.gif
Great minds think alike... and I''ve always thought you have a great mind! If someone handed me 2k I could spend it in 2 seconds flat.
emembarrassed.gif

DoctorMilkman

Rough_Rock
Ok I picked the ring up today, I''ll give you the specs first then I''ll tell you what I think of it.

its GIA certified,

Cut - VG
Polish - VG
Symmetry VG
Table - 58%
Depth - 63.7%
Measurements 6.83 x 6.76 x 4.33

I plugged all the numbers into the HCA, and it didnt come back great, but I looked at a lot of diamonds before I picked this one, and I picked it because it had the best sparkle, so I dont know, the numbers probably dont say its the best, but I like it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s pretty deep. What are the crown and pavillion angles?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I bought a bottle of water at the tennis and it cost 2 times more than the super market for the same water, and 1,000,000 times more for the better tasting tap water.

Did I get ripped off?

DoctorMilkman

Rough_Rock
I dont know...I''m sitting here looking at the ring right now. I think it looks fine, but maybe I should take it back and try for something better? I like the store where I got it from, and if I take it back I think I''ll feel like I''m not going to want to ever go back there again.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the smaller weight 1.20 at Wf has a diameter of 6.85-6.88mm whereas this one is 6.76-6.83mm, so the WF stone is more round and is even a minute amount larger in diameter. It's best to stay in the 60-62% range for depth.

As far as whether to return the ring, you'll have to decide whether your relationship with that jeweler is more important than getting the best quality stone for your money. Some people are willing to pay extra to buy locally, but I wouldn't settle for less that ideal or excellent cut.

(Incidentally, that WF stone is now reserved, so someone must have liked it!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll give you my honest opinion on what I think. I "think" you can do much better.
2.gif

I also think/wonder if you weren't shown a bunch of stones, dare I say it, with worse specs, and it probably did make this one look good....

You really need to take that one back. It's just not acceptable, by anyones standards. Tell them you only want to look at AGS0 and GIA xxx.

And DON'T YOU feel bad, that jeweler should, for showing, much less selling that stone to anyone. Shame on him.
38.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2007 10:05:38 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 9/19/2007 9:36:55 PM
Author: DoctorMilkman
36.5 and 41.8
Ohooo, you bought dirty water.
It could do with filtering
9.gif

Stop it, this is serious.
11.gif

Wenska

Rough_Rock
If you looked at the diamond and liked the way it looked, who cares what this website says about it? Your eyes don''t lie!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/19/2007 10:22:17 PM
Author: Wenska
If you looked at the diamond and liked the way it looked, who cares what this website says about it? Your eyes don''t lie!
City girls just seem to find out early
How to open doors with just a smile
A rich old man
And she won''t have to worry
She''ll dress up all in lace and go in style
Late at night a big old house gets lonely
I guess ev''ry form of refuge has its price
And it breaks her heart to think her love is
Only given to a man with hands as cold as ice
So she tells him she must go out for the evening
To comfort an old friend who''s feelin'' down
But he knows where she''s goin'' as she''s leavin''
She is headed for the cheatin'' side of town
You can''t hide your lyin'' eyes

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought my original diamond was beautiful until I saw ideal cut diamonds. So there''s be no way I''d choose that diamond today. Average diamonds may be pretty. But do you really want to pay $10,000 for "average"? Personally, I''d want excellent or ideal.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
How weird that someone would register just to post that.
33.gif

Anyway, I agree with DS. $5 grand for a 1.24 "good" cut diamond? Eh
$10,600 for a 1.24 "good" cut diamond? Absolutely NOT. You''re talking a lot of money.

Maybe you could ask the jeweler to find you something within the correct specs?
I wouldn''t settle.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually yes, your eyes can lie. A clean average cut diamond by itself or in a sea of poorly cut competitors will look fabulous. But, that doesn''t mean that when that diamond is a little dirty and placed next to an excellent cut diamond it''s going to look fabulous. It''s all a matter of perspective.

As for this person that logged on... I think it''s the troll jeweler from last night. That guy had a real beef with this site. And he referred to this thread.

As for what this site says... it''s like saying.. if you feel healthy you must be, cause your body won''t lie, who cares what the doctor says.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results