shape
carat
color
clarity

did I overpay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laurence

Rough_Rock
Just wondering what you thought of these diamond stud earrings....

IGI Cert #1
1.52 cts
7.15 x 7.21 x 4.52
I color
Si2
Polish/Symm good/good
no Treatment
Laser scribed

7.11 x 7.17 x 4.58
I color
Si2
pol/symm good/v.good
no treatment
Laser scribed

what should I have payed for these diamonds....

thanks

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
What were they worth to you?

Laurence

Rough_Rock
well they were the best diamonds that I have seen and was shopping for a while.... they were also so the most expensive pair that I saw. I thought the girdle was a little thick but I thought that the symmetry was very nice on them and they were a very close match.

I''m a rookie and just was wondering if these were good diamonds... everything in that size carat weight was a bigger dia. sow was wondering if that was a good thing or were thye cut "heavy"

thanks

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
what should I have payed for these diamonds....

Hi,

My answer may sound flip, but it depends on the true quality of the diamonds.

Jewelers and appraisers have enough experience with the major labs to answer a question like yours about a GIA stone or a AGS stone, albeit, with a range of values.

There simply are two many variables with a less strict laboratory. or the range of values becomes so big as to be almost meaningless

Laurence

Rough_Rock
can you explain what it means by the measurements. most of the diamonds that are 1.5 carat are in the 7.3 to 7.4 dia. Mine are much less. Is there a definitave anser to that or is it again, "depends on the cut" When I loop them, looking at them from the side I really cant tell one from the other.... they are very close in there charracteristics

thanks
Laurence

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
IGI is not known for setting the standard in diamond grading. They do so much work for Helzberg and the like one might question their "independence". Brian was pointing out that a soft SI2 which is really an I1 may be grossly overpriced as an SI2. There is a big jump from I1 to SI2. Same is true for the color grading. You have almost no info on the cut except that the diameters are a bit small. A bit small means a bit deep which means paying more for a smaller-looking poorer-performing stone.

Of course all of this is speculation without seeing the stone or having a more complete lab report. An independent appraiser might set your mind at ease as well.

R/A

Laurence

Rough_Rock
well no way are they an I1 in fact i have trouble beliving they are an si2 even with a loop there isn''t much going on in the stones. Yes I guess they are cut a little small. Like you said I have to get a 2nd oppinion. I paid 12k for them. So just kinda kicking that # around. On the internet sites I have not found a "like matched pair" in that price range. I can return them if i dont like them. I really like them, the question is if I payed a good price for them.

thanks again

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With so many rounds (are they?) arund, it is not that hard to match two for earrings. If these where side stones (so the lest hair split of a difference may count), perhaps I would have been less optimisting about a match by numbers (so to speack). For fancies, I would doubt it can be done without seeing the two brats...

I am not too surprised you have not found a pair of such large studs of exactly these grades "ready assembled" on this or that site. The receipe sounds very much fir for "special order". Ready-made, no wander these are not the greatest deal - 3 cts. studs are not your diamond staple, right ?
9.gif

Hard to tell whether these are too expensive - relatively. 6k.apiece does not sound overly expensive for eye clean I/SI2 even without GIA's blessing. Some stones run as low as 4k, and quite a few are priced below 6k although not thta many - it remains everyone's guess why: the visibility of inclusiosn and proportions would help explain the last 2-3 k of what you paid.

What are the details of the cut ?

Laurence

Rough_Rock
they are rounds, the igi cert doesn''t give a cut grade, but I think they are very nice cut. Like I mentioned I feel they are very nice diamonds, I bought them loose and had them set. I''m happy with them, very happy. Was just kinda concerned that they may have been overpriced.

thanks again

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not IGI cut grade, but table, depth, girdle, crown&pavilion height or angle...

Each shop in town can have their cut garde - there are no rules yet. I don't think there is much relation between your pleasure with the looks of these stones and how they are priced based on cut quality. Only the very "out of range" sets of parametes would make the stones strykingly "different" (unpleasant - sounds dangerous...). But allot of pricing nuance seems to depend on less than visible details
8.gif

Laurence

Rough_Rock
I dont have that information. I''ll have to take them for a look see...... thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results