shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I overpay for my oval diamond?

BCY12

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I've been on this forum for a while (admittedly should've referred to it a bit more before we bought our diamond, there is so much to learn!!). So we're from Australia and bought an oval diamond a few days ago. I can't help but think we paid a lot for what we got. So the custom jeweller we went to has access to international sellers and the same diamond was also found on Blue Nile. Since the price they were able to get it at were cheaper we thought it was reasonable. Specs below:
GIA certified Oval D colour 1.41 carat
Clarity: VS1
Cut: Very Good
Flourescence: none
L/W ratio: 1.39
Depth: 61.5%
Table: 58%
Polish and Symmetry: excellent
Girdle: Medium - slightly Thick
Culet: None
Measurements: 8.93x6.42x3.95
The bowtie is not that obvious either. It was the best choice at the time and I thought given it's below 1.5ct we're getting a good deal for it despite it being a D colour (I was originally aiming for a G). The price we paid for it was $20,950 AUD. I guess I'm just having a bit of buyers remorse and can't help but think that I could've have gone down in colour to either get something bigger or paid a lot less for the same size. What do you guys think?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm an Aussie you can also go to an Australia version of Blue Nile, everything is in Aussie dollars, I joined their mailing list because sometimes they have really great codes where you get 10%, 15%, 20% discount off certain things and they are one of the few companies that charges the taxes and duties upfront. I bought a pair of triple Ex cut GIA rounds for a friend of my husband for earrings for a gift and with the discount codes even with the taxes they were far cheaper and better cut than anything I could get here.

Yes you could have probably gone down a couple of shades colourwise and gotten a bigger stone. Your stone is a high colour and has a nice spread up and down ways our dollar is poop compared to other currencies at the moment, so there is probably little point worrying about if you overpaid or not now.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can use the search bar at the top of the forum to pull up equivalent spec (or close to it) stones and their prices, although ovals (and other fancy cuts) can be priced according to their beauty and therefore have more variation than rounds, as I understand it.

more-Sparkle

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I've been on this forum for a while (admittedly should've referred to it a bit more before we bought our diamond, there is so much to learn!!). So we're from Australia and bought an oval diamond a few days ago. I can't help but think we paid a lot for what we got. So the custom jeweller we went to has access to international sellers and the same diamond was also found on Blue Nile. Since the price they were able to get it at were cheaper we thought it was reasonable. Specs below:
The bowtie is not that obvious either. It was the best choice at the time and I thought given it's below 1.5ct we're getting a good deal for it despite it being a D colour (I was originally aiming for a G). The price we paid for it was $20,950 AUD. I guess I'm just having a bit of buyers remorse and can't help but think that I could've have gone down in colour to either get something bigger or paid a lot less for the same size. What do you guys think?

Hi @BCY12!
Just my two cents since I have an oval and was on the market for one for months. So, I’m not an expert, but for what it’s worth..the price you paid kind of depends on a few things. If you were adamant about buying from a brick and mortar store than that’s a typical price. Also, if you needed it by a certain time, then that too can limit your options.

Online prices will of course be better. Some sites are less expensive than others of course. It does take some time when ordering online AND can be difficult. Patience IS REQUIRED. You can see from my previous posts that I have encountered much frustration with online buying. After all said and done I love the stone I ended up with. Zero bow tie and no mushiness. I have a 1.52 carat, I color VVSI. I would have liked a better color less clarity, but I wanted one that faces up larger than most. Mine is 1.45 ratio and measures at 9.25×6.39×4.04. I paid less then $9,000 USD. Although I am happy with my stone, I of course look at new stones that come out and debate if I could’ve gotten a better stone. THIS, which sounds a bit like what you are doing, is bad, borderline unhealthy!

If you have a stone and love it, then love it. Enjoy it. There will always be a stone that may be better or cheaper, but you cant keep thinking about that.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock

I don't know the answer to your question if you overpaid or not, because I just don't have that expertise though I think we could go online and look at similar specs and see what prices are. however is there a return policy where you bought your diamond? its a lot of money to spend if you are second guessing the decision, so maybe find out, I have heard many places allow returns on diamonds....

go find out and then if you can do your research to the max. I know its tempting to jump when you want something but ive learned its best to really check around a lot till you find something and you Know its right.

BCY12

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice everyone! Unfortunately I can't return it as they've already been invoiced and is on it's way. There have been other ones which I have found since that seem better for the price, but I agree with @more-Sparkle, I should really stop doing this now that I know I can't return it as it's making me even more upset (btw - the one you got sounds amazing!). We kind of rushed into it after only a few weeks of looking every day. Ah well, I'll have to try my best to enjoy it and not think about what else is out there. And to do more research/ not rush into it next time I make a diamond purchase!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah our AU$ is crappy against the US$ but I would avoid searching for bargains now unless you can return the one you have - else it's just torture for yourself! :doh:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results