shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I make the right choice?

ManMadeandConfused

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I've recently purchased a MMD for an engagment ring that is currently being made. I want to know if I made the right choice and I got good value for my price range.

It was from BE and IGI certified as follows:
J colour
VS2 clarity
Ideal cut
Excellent polish & symmetry
No fluorescence

Measurements:
.71 carats
5.8x5.83x3.48
58% table
59% depth
33.3 crown
40.7 pavillion

0.7 on the HCA scale

My budget was $1000 USD and this diamond was just over at 1030. Is this a good stone for my budget? I went MM because I wanted a larger stone for what my budget allowed, and mined I would have had to settle for a .5 if I wanted the same qualities. Is it the right choice?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks nice.

In terms of the numbers, it is outside what is usually referred to as the 'SuperIdeal' ranges, but that's not to say it won't still perform to a satisfactory level - the HCA score <2 indicates the crown and pavilion angles will work together.

The crown being on the lower side and the table being on the larger side means it will likely give you more white light return than coloured fire, but you should still get some of both.

If/when you have it in-hand, make sure to check it for any brown tint - it seems to be more common in MMDs than Mined stones, and not everyone likes it, but you should assess it for yourself to see if it has it and, if it does, if it bothers you. (Colour is purely a personal taste!)

The MMD market is still settling in terms of prices/value, what with Lightbox pricing at $800/ct for their stones (which are all under 1ct) being fairly new to the market and a substantial drop compared to MMD prices before that point, so ascertaining if one has got 'good value' or not can be harder than Mined diamonds because the market is still quite new and is in a state of flux.

Rhino's August Vintage Inc. website has a section for Laboratory Grown Diamonds, which you could use as a comparison or an alternative if you spot something you like more, but there are also other sites mentioned in this section of the forum that could be worth a check against.

ManMadeandConfused

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the reply! Just reading that helped me understand why I felt the way I did when holding it. I already have it and I notice no brown at all, in fact I really was impressed by the colour considering it is a J and lab created.

What bothered me about it was that when holding it and looking at it, it doesn't have as much fire as I had hoped. I guess that's where I went wrong in trying to find a smaller weight stone that faced up larger. It still has plenty but not as much as I was looking for.

So I should be looking for something that is a little deeper than and not as large a table?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the reply! Just reading that helped me understand why I felt the way I did when holding it. I already have it and I notice no brown at all, in fact I really was impressed by the colour considering it is a J and lab created.

What bothered me about it was that when holding it and looking at it, it doesn't have as much fire as I had hoped. I guess that's where I went wrong in trying to find a smaller weight stone that faced up larger. It still has plenty but not as much as I was looking for.

So I should be looking for something that is a little deeper than and not as large a table?
IIRC the 'PS-recommmended' ranges are something like this:

Table 54 - 58
Depth 60 - 62.4
Crown Angle 34 - 35 (up to 35.5 with a 40.6 pavilion, IIRC)
Pavilion Angle 40.6 - 40.9

As crown angle increases, pavilion angle should decrease - so 34c/40.9p but 35c/40.6p.

Higher crowns and smaller tables do tend to increase fire, if I understand it correctly, although I recall one of the CBI representatives on here saying that ultra-precise cutting can enable increased fire without having to increase crown angle/decrease table size :)

ManMadeandConfused

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I really appreciate all the links and helpful tips of what to look for.

Since I'm having the ring custom designed and I already had the head size made for a 5.8mm stone I think I will stick with the diamond I have.

I know it will look beautiful and I will post the pictures of the final ring once it's set, but these are all super helpful if we choose to upgrade it in the future =)2 I just think I'm having a bit of buyers anxiety :think:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's only natural to have a bit of 'what if...' paranoia when one is spending a lot of money on small shiny things :) but I'm sure it will be pretty when set and you will love it!

We will look forward to pictures :))

ManMadeandConfused

Rough_Rock
Well I have no regrets now at all. The ring came in and the jeweler set it this week and this thing SPARKLES. It must have been fingerprints or something on it. No regrets going lab or sacrificing colour for size. Thank you guys for all the help. Pics below =)

Attachments

• 20190302_081112.jpg
    20190302_081112.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190302_081129.jpg
    20190302_081129.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190302_081307.jpg
    20190302_081307.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 45

ManMadeandConfused

Rough_Rock
All in with taxes, shipping, setting, it cost me $2750 CAD and appraised for replacement value of $3250 =) I stayed within budget, got a beautiful customized handmade one-of-a-kind ring, and I'm absolutely in love with it. It was a much more pleasant experience than just choosing one at a store and I can actually say I put in some effort ;-) now waiting for the engraved box and then comes the big question!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!

It looks great :) and I'm pleased that you are happy with it :)

Please do come back to post hand shots when you've asked the big question, if you are happy to do so!

IolantheJane

Rough_Rock
I just want to say that your post has really helped with my fears about my own MMD that I am getting. Like you, I got a stone that is close to 60/60 with a 33.5 crown angle and 40.8 pavilion depth and I’m worried that it won’t be as sparkly/fiery as I hoped. Your ring and diamond is beautiful and exactly what I am hoping for myself!

ManMadeandConfused

Rough_Rock
I’m worried that it won’t be as sparkly/fiery as I hoped. Your ring and diamond is beautiful and exactly what I am hoping for myself!

This was my biggest worry, especially when I received the actual diamond. I was disappointed in its fire. That all changed after it was cleaned by the jeweler. It has some intense and beautiful fire especially under the right light. Once you get it, don't judge it until you've had it cleaned up!

IolantheJane

Rough_Rock
This was my biggest worry, especially when I received the actual diamond. I was disappointed in its fire. That all changed after it was cleaned by the jeweler. It has some intense and beautiful fire especially under the right light. Once you get it, don't judge it until you've had it cleaned up!

Very good to know, thank you!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Very good to know, thank you!

Yup - diamonds suck up oils like sponges (I had to use an extra ridiculous analogy). They get amazingly dirty, amazingly fast, and it has a surprisingly huge impact on appearance. You’ll want to keep it clean all the time. Lots of people here use Dawn dish soap and a soft toothbrush, perhaps with distilled water and blown dry to prevent water spots. I also use a little ultrasonic cleaner about once a week.

Lindastanley

Rough_Rock
Wow, so beatutiful and charming.

ManMadeandConfused

Rough_Rock
Question.. so I've popped the question and am now officially engaged! You can read the story and see 2 hand pics in the 'show me the bling' section. My question is...the diamond is absolutely beautiful. It sparkles insanely and faces white in all lighting EXCEPT in direct overhead LED and direct overhead sunlight, where the whole diamond turns almost black and has such intense fire it's almost hard to look at. I love the fire aspect, but just wanted to know if it was normal for it to take on a black appearance in these lighting circumstances and become such a firecracker it's almost blinding?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question.. so I've popped the question and am now officially engaged! You can read the story and see 2 hand pics in the 'show me the bling' section. My question is...the diamond is absolutely beautiful. It sparkles insanely and faces white in all lighting EXCEPT in direct overhead LED and direct overhead sunlight, where the whole diamond turns almost black and has such intense fire it's almost hard to look at. I love the fire aspect, but just wanted to know if it was normal for it to take on a black appearance in these lighting circumstances and become such a firecracker it's almost blinding?
A question that has been asked many times! :D

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-does-my-diamond-do-this-dark-in-sunlight.37481/
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-goes-dark-or-blue-in-direct-sunlight.245780/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-most-acas-superideals-have-dark-cores.44840/

I'm sure there's another thread more recently but I can't find it, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results