shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I make the right choice diamond for my price range?

yolosuarez

Rough_Rock
So I jumped the gun and put a deposit down on a diamond below after I spoke with the Grace and after I had some unsuccessful attempts at some local jewelers. Over the past two weeks I have read about crown and pavilion angles, the HCA tool, idealscope, GIA vs AGS, diamond cut, ASET, Idealscope, etcetera (didn’t want to list them all) and after all through the reading I felt that I was educated enough to put down a deposit on the diamond below.

However, after searching for the setting at different jewelers here in town (Diamonds Direct, Jared’s, and about 4 more locally owned jewelry shops around town) more than half wanted to see the diamond that I chose and either tried to upsell me or make me feel bad about my choice of diamond. So after it happened at the first store I just decided to show them the pics just to see what other vendors and sales reps may say about the diamond I had as my choice.

Ultimately, this past weekend has been a storm of emotions because I feel like I don’t know who to trust anymore and this whole experience has made me second guess my choice. I hope to turn to you guys for help!! Please tell me that my choice wasn’t as bad as they’re making it out to be. I know that I may have chosen quickly but I jumped at this opportunity because my gf saw the BGD Blue video on his website and thought that the diamond fluorescence was awesome.

Here is the link below, the pictures and short videos are on her website as well. Please let me know your opinions I would greatly appreciate it! I just hope I made a good choice because all in all I just want to make this girl happy ☺

I chose to do business with jewelsbygrace because of the positive reviews and reputation she has built through these forums and also looking her up on the internet. Also, I spoke with her personally and she said nothing but good things about this diamond as well!

Here are the stats: (more info and pics on the website)
2.51 carat BGD Blue
AGS 000, J, Si1
Table: 54.9
Crown Angle: 34.7
Pavillion Angle: 40.8
Total Depth: 61.8
HCA Score: 1.5
AGSL image is on the certificate on the website btw

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-...liant-bgd-blue-ags000-j-si1.html#.U7iI9BbWrBY

My overall goal was to find the biggest round I could in my price range ($20k) with a great cut and sacrificing in color and clarity. I also wanted an eye-clean diamond and if it had SBF I wanted it to have no milkiness or haziness (Grace assured me of no milkiness or haziness and she said that the crystal near the middle is barely discernible and doesn't take away from the performance either).

Thank you so much everybody for your opinions and time.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for all the numbers I'm not one of the experts... But I own a BGB and love it. This looks like a stunning diamond! :love: :love:

..and I bought my diamond from Grace too!

yolosuarez

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mayk! I appreciate your post!

FWIW most of the diamond stores of course were picking on the crystal near the middle because its the first thing they saw. Then they complained and said oh well its AGS and not GIA normally they grade clarity and color one down on AGS blah blah. Then they picked on that its on a website and how can I make a decision without even seeing it. I just wasn't comfortable having a rebuttal with these associates because I am new to diamond hunting unlike them who claim they have over 15+ years in the diamond industry. Even the diamonds direct vice president of sales in the store emailed me trying to convince me away from my diamond to buy theirs...hopefully I can find the email and post it below as well as the diamond he was recommending.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Relax. The cut spec is excellent. There is a great chance the diamond will turn out to be a bright sparkler in real life. Furthermore, the price is good and fair. If you do not mind about J color, it is worth risking the trouble and shipping expense in case of the need for return to check out the diamond in person to confirm cut appearance and acceptability of color, strong fluorescence, and eye-clean clarity.

double bonus: 1. Damond is BGD Signature Blue. 2. Seller is JBEG (guarantee and easy return). Very little risk, if any.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a great price for a 2.5 ct stone! Certainly it is a beautifully cut stone as well! I would have to see the inclusion in person to know if I could deal with it. I would have to not be able to see it with my eyes in order to keep it. If it can only be seen with a loupe, then I would say it is a great buy! I think the fluoro is a bonus with J color.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't listen to the locals! You did fantastic!

yolosuarez

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies fancy, seeker, and april! Fancy I don't think the J color will be an issue for her as long as it still faces up white in most instances which Grace said shouldn't be an issue! She watched the blue fluor video off BGD and thinks its definitely cool. I will definitely talk to Grace further so hopefully I can get a one day return policy just so I can check the stone (did lay-away plan so final sale only in her terms and conditions). Seeker as far as the inclusion I def know it is personal preference if I would be able to see it from a certain distance and so forth; I guess I have to wait to get the diamond in if it will be a prominent issue.

Thanks so much for the assurance April it's just been tough because all I've been looking for is a setting and every store just wants to show me a diamond for the same price or less! It's seriously a dog-eat-dog world in the diamond industry! I'm getting fed up and just may shop online entirely...and honestly, enclosed below is a email I got from the VP of Sales at Diamonds Direct (I guess he took my info card and emailed and called me multiple times) talking about how his diamond is better than my choice. It just makes me feel uncomfortable that they're only caring for themselves and not the customer. Anyways, down below I cropped out his name and some parts but below is the complete email.

Overall, I just think it's very unprofessional to take it to this level, no other store has gone to this extent but he couldn't say one good thing at all about the diamond I picked out on the email and just continued to email and and leave me messages on my phone about his superior diamond :|

img_5018.jpg

img_5019.jpg

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
You were right to ignore the high pressure sales folk. You did well. Considering you were trying to maintain excellent cut, while sacrificing color and clarity, and then go big, you did a good job. As you wanted the fluorescence, that's not an issue here. The only thing I'd look for is whether they inclusion is visible to the unaided eye. If it's "eye clean," you got a good stone at a reasonable price, with cut that'll take her breath away in brilliance and fire. :wavey:

yolosuarez

Rough_Rock
FYI - Here's the stats the Diamonds Direct guy was pushing for $21,500.

GIA Cert: 6175322007
2.48 carat RB
GIA XXX
J, VS2
8.61-8.65 x 5.36 mm

Depth 62.1
Table 58%
Crown Angle 35
Pav Angle 41
Fluor Med Blue

Stats are on the GIA

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yolosuarez|1404605813|3707497 said:

FWIW most of the diamond stores of course were picking on the crystal near the middle because its the first thing they saw. Then they complained and said oh well its AGS and not GIA normally they grade clarity and color one down on AGS blah blah. Then they picked on that its on a website and how can I make a decision without even seeing it. I just wasn't comfortable having a rebuttal with these associates because I am new to diamond hunting unlike them who claim they have over 15+ years in the diamond industry. Even the diamonds direct vice president of sales in the store emailed me trying to convince me away from my diamond to buy theirs...hopefully I can find the email and post it below as well as the diamond he was recommending.
He is full of BS! . That is a beautiful stone if eye clean :appl:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1404617875|3707573 said:

A salesman?

Full of BS?

I don't believe it for a second...

:tongue: :lol:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yolosuarez|1404617695|3707570 said:
FYI - Here's the stats the Diamonds Direct guy was pushing for $21,500.

GIA Cert: 6175322007
2.48 carat RB
GIA XXX
J, VS2
8.61-8.65 x 5.36 mm

Depth 62.1
Table 58%
Crown Angle 35
Pav Angle 41
Fluor Med Blue

Stats are on the GIA

This diamond has potential certainly but my preference definitely runs to the BG diamond as we know the quality of the cut, plus this stone was cut and hand selected by a trusted artisan and expert. This diamond has good proportions but it is a borderline steep/deep angled stone, it is possible there might be light leakage, personally, I would not buy this diamond without being able to view it in person and knowing what to look for, or reflector images.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I love the 54 table on your 2.51 stone. You should check it out in person under different lighting conditions to make sure it doesn't look hazy to you. That is a fabulous size. It will really look amazing. I've heard that BGD stones have amazing cuts. You did good. Congrats. I'm pretty sure that all salesmen need to make you think their stones are better so that they can make a sale. So you should be confident in the one you choose and not fall into the trap of somebody trying to get you to second-guess yourself. I would wear that stone proudly and the price is amazing. I can't wait to see what beautiful setting you put it in. :love:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yolosuarez|1404615953|3707561 said:
Thanks for the replies fancy, seeker, and april! Fancy I don't think the J color will be an issue for her as long as it still faces up white in most instances which Grace said shouldn't be an issue! She watched the blue fluor video off BGD and thinks its definitely cool. I will definitely talk to Grace further so hopefully I can get a one day return policy just so I can check the stone (did lay-away plan so final sale only in her terms and conditions). Seeker as far as the inclusion I def know it is personal preference if I would be able to see it from a certain distance and so forth; I guess I have to wait to get the diamond in if it will be a prominent issue.

Thanks so much for the assurance April it's just been tough because all I've been looking for is a setting and every store just wants to show me a diamond for the same price or less! It's seriously a dog-eat-dog world in the diamond industry! I'm getting fed up and just may shop online entirely...and honestly, enclosed below is a email I got from the VP of Sales at Diamonds Direct (I guess he took my info card and emailed and called me multiple times) talking about how his diamond is better than my choice. It just makes me feel uncomfortable that they're only caring for themselves and not the customer. Anyways, down below I cropped out his name and some parts but below is the complete email.

Overall, I just think it's very unprofessional to take it to this level, no other store has gone to this extent but he couldn't say one good thing at all about the diamond I picked out on the email and just continued to email and and leave me messages on my phone about his superior diamond :|

I am not comfortable with sellers '' casting nasturtiums'' :tongue: at another seller's wares, especially with a purchase of this magnitude, it can really take the shine of a hopeful fiancé's quest to find the best ring for his beloved. Yolo, you are doing brilliantly and you are going to end up with an amazing ring at the end of this, one you and your fiancé will adore and be proud of!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can tell you this Yolo, if my American BF DF would buy this diamond, then it has to be good! :lol:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Your diamond is beautiful!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to clarify something that the other seller wrote in their email - quote - '' Another thing that bothered me a bit is the fact that the diamond is hazy and milky on half side, the other side looks fine.''

Now, that's a new one to me :)) , surely a diamond either is or is not fluorescent regardless of whether there is a negative effect from strong or very strong blue, the fluorescence does not appear only in parts or half of the diamond? Can the experts please expound on this?

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
BGD Signature stones are the cream of the crop. Rest assured that the diamond will be spectacular IRL. The SBF is an amazing trait, I purchased an I color very strong blue from BGD as my pendant stone. It positively dances in the sunlight, the sparkle is incredible & there is zero negative effect from the fluorescence. The statement about half the stone being milky is ridiculous and not scientifically possible.

Retail jewelers who don't sell you their won stones can be fear mongers. They're horrible comments are a real turnoff. When I purchased my diamond online and went to a local jeweler to check on settings the owner immediately said she better weigh it to be sure it matched my GIA cert ( emerald cut diamond). Because online sellers switched stones all of the time. I told her that I had 100% confidence in the company I purchased from. Anyway they lost my business right there.

You will get a better deal on settings online as well. Visit BGD's site, ERD, Ritani, etc to look at settings. When you decide how you want to set your diamond start a new thread and you'll get loads of help.

yolosuarez

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your 2cents! I wholeheartedly appreciate the comments and thoughts on this situation. You guys are making me feel more confident than ever and definitely in a better mood this morning :) This diamond is definitely an investment and that is why I felt the need to post something like this to all of you. I'm sure the gf will love anything I present to her and she for sure deserves the best and that's why I've taken so much time on these boards reading into and asking for input! In all honesty, our relationship is definitely an "opposites attract" type as she knows I'm very thorough with most things and sorta like a detective into everything I do. She, on the other hand could care less if there was a small stain on her shoe or shirt and even small dings on her car that she has and has stated "nobody will notice those". If anything, I certainly think that if the inclusion on the diamond is to bother anyone it would bother me more than it would bother her :o

I'm just glad to have peace of mind that from yall I made a great decision and it's definitely my money's worth :) You guys are making me want this diamond even more :love: :love: I'm sure you felt like me when you put a deposit on a diamond and knowing "Omg I can't wait to get it, put it in an amazing setting that she'll love, and propose!" And that's exactly why this has been emotional the past couple of days. I literally want to get the diamond ASAP so I can get to the next step!! (I hope to propose by September).

As far as the bad experiences over the holiday, I'm still up in the air whether or not to email the guy back, I know that there wouldn't be a purpose to it than to "prove a point" and make myself feel better about the situation so I'm leaning towards a no. I definitely will not be back at any of those stores that I visited these past couple of days as well. I will look at other opportunities such as preferred online vendors for purchase of my setting or even going custom. I may travel a little further to another local jeweler if need be (if it has great reviews).

As far as setting this stone I would love your thoughts as well. My gf loves halo's and if I decide to go the halo route I definitely want a subtle halo. I posted in another thread on the bling forum because I saved some pics that she has been looking into...actually here is the thread below and the pic of the setting she's in love with (simple yet elegant). Thanks again everyone for your support and thoughts on this situation! I'm very excited to get this diamond in my hands!!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-anybody-help-me-identify-this-setting.203707/

img_5021.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are very glad we were able to help you Yolo! As to emailing back the seller that's entirely up to you but maybe it might be best to let matters rest for now, think on it for a few days perhaps, there is no rush. You know you made a great choice, maybe put the other business behind you and concentrate on getting that gorgeous stone and your proposal scene set! :love:

As for the setting, as dear DS said in another thread, most vendors have a variation of the halo setting, so you can find something similar fairly easily.

And congratulations!!! :appl:

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Yolo! I think I'm in the same town as you based on the stores you listed when setting shopping. If that's right (Austin), take your stone and the setting pic to Bird and Bell on 38th street. The owner does bench work for OECs but makes wonderful haloes. He's not inexpensive but I bet he can make a similar setting. Ask to see samples of his haloes to make sure you like his work.

If you want a cad setting (will have more metal work though since it's done by computers, and that photo shows more diamond and less metal), I liked Krugers on Congress (Chloe - or Zoe?? - was very helpful). You can customer order a halo setting for your own center - it takes about 6-8 weeks. For a cushion I used to have, I found a setting in their displays and was able to custom CAD it.

Other than those two places, I haven't seen any good halo setting-only providers in this little town.

yolosuarez

Rough_Rock
^^Hey UrsTx! I wish I was in the same town I would take that recommendation! I'm located in VA so I'm looking anywhere between VA/NC for either custom settings or a reputable local/family jeweler in these two states. Do those that you recommend have a website? I hope I have better luck looking around in NC bc VA has not been good to me thus far :(

Also, here are more pics/vids from Grace to show how it faces up in a setting in indirect light/outdoors.

http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Client-Folders-/251-for-CS/

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei|1404637059|3707624 said:

I can tell you this Yolo, if my American BF DF would buy this diamond, then it has to be good! :lol:
Yup, I love the proportions on this stone and since it is a BG stone we know it will be a top performer... :love:

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
yolosuarez|1404670051|3707762 said:
^^Hey UrsTx! I wish I was in the same town I would take that recommendation! I'm located in VA so I'm looking anywhere between VA/NC for either custom settings or a reputable local/family jeweler in these two states. Do those that you recommend have a website? I hope I have better luck looking around in NC bc VA has not been good to me thus far :(

Also, here are more pics/vids from Grace to show how it faces up in a setting in indirect light/outdoors.

http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Client-Folders-/251-for-CS/

Sorry, they have websites but they're not very good ones - mainly they just give info. I forgot that a Diamonds Direct is in VA too...

If you want to arrange a setting online, then I'd recommend Victor Canera. I've never personally had anything made from him but everyone's pics on this site who have his rings are gorgeous!

GeorgeStevens

Shiny_Rock
OP: Everyone's trying to sell you something, and there are a lot of aggressive salesmen in the business. Sometimes they can be good to do business with because they'll haggle and if you know what you're doing, you'll get a better deal with them than a fixed-price shop. Just verify what you got with a third party and wash your hands after dealing with them. As for sales tactics, admittedly this is mild, but personally I'm turned off by the "aggressive price" commentary on the website you referenced. No, that price is right about where the retail market appears to be for that sort of stone. With a bit of work you might be able to find a somewhat better deal, but it doesn't seem to be a rip-off either.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lorelei|1404645872|3707643 said:
I just wanted to clarify something that the other seller wrote in their email - quote - '' Another thing that bothered me a bit is the fact that the diamond is hazy and milky on half side, the other side looks fine.''

Now, that's a new one to me :)) , surely a diamond either is or is not fluorescent regardless of whether there is a negative effect from strong or very strong blue, the fluorescence does not appear only in parts or half of the diamond? Can the experts please expound on this?
Lorelei,
My guess is that he was referring to the picture of the diamond in the stone holder at the referenced link. It seems to be less transparent on the top, but that is most likely just a photographic/lighting issue.

yolosuarez

Rough_Rock
Hey guys!!! Update!! Just got the diamond in this morning and I had to post something on here because I have until Monday to decide on this diamond! So I ended up getting an independent appraisal today for the BDG Blue diamond and most of it went really well and all followed suit for most in accordance to the report. The inclusion is visible but only if I really concentrate on it, I don't think it will be an issue at all. It is definitely eye-clean to me. The issues that came across was in reference to the strong blue. The appraiser definitely said there was some milkiness/haziness within the stone as when we compared it with a medium blue that was clearer through the middle.

Also, she said something else about the girdle, she said there may have been some slight adjustments in the girdle and "they might have cleaned it up a bit". Instead of thin to medium on the report she checked twice and said its slightly thick. I didn't really ask specifically what that have meant but I did say it was owned before me. The appraiser said that the price was fair to both parties and right now that is not the issue. The issue I'm having is when I first got the diamond I felt great! But! After the appraisal and after comparing it with a similar grade, size, clarity, and fluor "medium blue" the medium blue stone looked "clearer" through the middle. I hope I'm not being nit-picky but ever since I got home I really don't know what to do or how to think. I would love your opinions I have until Monday to decide!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry, no advice, just want to save I love "yolosuarez"

yolosuarez

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1405138465|3711822 said:
sorry, no advice, just want to save I love "yolosuarez"

haha lol I'll take that ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results