shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I get shafted?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Will from FL

Rough_Rock
I''m shopping around for a 3 stone ring for my, hopefully, bride to be. I know pretty much exactly what she wants - a three stone ring, probably, but definitely with a princess cut diamond and some baguettes along the side - white gold.

Well, I broke down and purchased a ring from one of the mall stores - Helzberg to be exact. No big deal because I can return the thing if I change my mind. Question is, should I return it? I''ll have to go back tomorrow to get the specifics on the ring but I know this much at this point...

It''s a 1.5 ctw - middle stone is .56c. Middle stone is SI1 and sides are SI2. All stones are in the "H - I" range which I am ok with. The ring looks great.. I''d consider checking around the internet but I don''t see a setting that I really like on either GOG or Whiteflash. Some of the Landri settings look good especially with those little yellow gold accents but there aren''t any baguettes which I know she''d want in her ring. The other limiting factor here is time.. the date is rapidly approaching - 23 days to be exact and I doubt I could get a ring off the internet that quickly.

To me, the price doesn''t seem too bad - $3,300 out the door (tax hurts by the way). That includes replacement of any/all of the diamonds if they ever fall out, free work done to ring if it is damaged or ruined (just not lost), unlimited rhodium coatings, sizings, etc. are also included. I also have an upgrade policy as well.

Probably my only concern is that all the stores, zales, M&M, and Helzberg have a copy of this ring. I don''t want her running into others with the identical ring. Helzberg appears to be the only ones with sizes upwards of 1 ctw (1, 1.5, and 2). I''d like to show y''all a picture but suprisingly there isn''t one listed on any of their websites even though it''s the ring all the salesmen were hawking (and that''s ok because it was consistently the best looking one in my price range). I''ll see if I can''t get a picture of it tomorrow. For what it''s worth, the three stones are elevated and the sides of the ring under the stones are nice lace work (like the Landri rings) with 3 tiny round diamonds set directly under the 3 top stones (on the vertical surface of the ring) on each side/face of the ring. Really, it''s a sharp looking piece and I think it''s right up her alley. I''d readily buy a ring off the internet if she just wanted a big rock with a conventional setting but since I''m going for a 3 stone the setting matters immensely.. IMO as much as the diamonds themselves.

So, did I get shafted? I''ll see what additional info if any I can find tomorrow.. (table, depth, crown, etc.).

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Have you checked to see what you can get from Whiteflash? I doubt that the mall store will be able to give you very detailed information on the stones. We got our first diamond from Shane Co. (what a rip off).

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/3Stone/1.htm

At least if you go with WF, you know that the stones are well cut.

ETA: Oops...you said that you didn't see anything at WF arlready. Sorry! I'm just worried about the stone quality of the mall stores. Do the stones come with any certifications?

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Will, I don''t think you''ve been shafted, I think you are going down the road of finding a nice ring at a mall store at a price that''s commensurate with other stores. If you can get more info on the diamonds, then that would be helpful. I personally believe you can buy better cut diamonds at a more competitive price via PS vendors. BUT, I know it''s not for everyone, some people enjoy the actual buying experience at mall stores, but you are not always getting the best value for money or the best quality. My husband and I wanted the best we could get for our hard earned cash, so we turned to PS vendors (thank goodness we found Pricescope and all the helpful peopple here).

You would be surprised how quickly online vendors can pull a rabbit, oops no, a ring ''out of a hat''. My husband and I arrived from Saudi Arabia into Seattle, the very next day we viewed three diamonds from three PS vendors at our chosen appraiser''s office. We decided there and then to buy the Whiteflash stone (which rocked) and after discussing with Lesley at Whiteflash, they produced my engagement ring and wedding band in 7 days flat. They were fantastic to work with. I''m sure if you could e-mail them pictures then they may have the perfect setting waiting for you, or may be able to create exactly what you want, just let them know your deadline, so they can tell you what they can do and what they can''t do in the given timeframe. I''ve also personally experienced good communication with Good Old Gold and know that many PS''ers have been very happy with their work. I wouldn''t hesitate to include them in my shortlist either. There are others here on PS that I''m sure could provide you with a positive experience too.

Whatever you decide to do, you should love the ring and have no reservations. If the ring you have bought ''speaks to you'' and is as beautiful as you had hoped it to be, then that is what matters. Sometimes the convenience of seeing what you are getting and being able to buy straight away outweighs the ''sight unseen'' experience of Internet shopping, although (as with us), we did see the diamond first and the setting turned out exactly what we wanted. I''d never change the way we bought my wedding set... through the Internet. The quality far exceeds anything in the mall stores.

GOOD LUCK!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3k... sounds more like a classic ring: say princess with baguette side stones if the two shapes are a must. And definitely graded center.

SI ungraded is a tricky choice because there is such a significant price jump between SI and I1... and who knows. Perhaps it is not usual to obtain lab reports for smaller stones in BM stores, but online even less than half carat diamonds come with 'paper' and for pretty good reasons.

Just IMO.

How does 0.7 cts D-Si1 sound? Or F-VS2... There are several settings with baguette sides at James Allen, about ~$800 although it can't hurt to focus on the centre stone and that usually means daintier settings fare better. That diamond came up on a search for D-J, VS2-SI1, .7-.8cts princesses on the 'In house' list above as the largest of the lot (about 5mm versus ~4) the IS picture and grades did the rest.

Well, just an idea. If you know that a 'busy' setting with lots of small diamonds would be better liked, why not. Allot is just a matter of taste with jewelry.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
My couisin''s hubby got her a gift from Helzburg and while I think he could of gotten it for less online I don''t think they were ripped off. They got the '' Lady Katherine''. Also hers would of been easy to get online, it was baisically an ering. She could of found a princess cut channel set setting anywhere then purchased the stone seperatly. With getting a three stone ring you''d have to purchase three seperate stones, and then a setting. I haven''t seen a whole lot of 3 stones online with extra baugettes. I think you got a good ring, and Helzburg although it''s a mall store the stuff I have seen come out of there doesn''t look bad. This sounds like you went out with what her style would be in mind and you found something that she would really love design wise. Now your only concern is quality. My diamond is a G color and SI2 clarity.....SI1''s and 2''s can be eyeclean and doesn''t look like you got a bad deal on the color eithier. My only question would be the cut and I would be surprised if they know that. Did they let you look at it through the scope or anything? If your looking at it and you think it looks great then I think you''ll be fine.

Hansel

Rough_Rock
Check out DiamondsRight.com they have some good deals. There is a way to search many of the diamond vendors online through this website so you should explore that.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like a lovely ring to me, purchased at a competetive price. You have the ring in your possession, so I assume you have observed it under all different lighting situations? If you like what you see, and are content with the price you paid... then no, you didn't get "shafted"!
1.gif

(Just a possible suggestion... you could purchase an Idealscope for $30 [or less?] and check out the light return of the stones -- if you wanted to pursue it that far.) But the ultimate "tool" is always to trust your eyes. Maybe at this point, that's all you need.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
I''m with Lynn on this one. If you like what you see - keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results