shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I get ripped off?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Big-O

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody -

Finally made the plunge and bought an e-ring (my girlfriend made me). I was pushing for Bluenile the whole time, but I wasn't 100% sure they were the best price, and that we wanted to see diamonds in person.

So we went to a local jeweller and walked out with (well, my committed to: Round | 1.51 | VS2 | ideal (vg symmetry) | no fluorescence | G (which he said was a very high G, and I couldn't see any colour under 10x)

With 13% sales tax, and $900 ring (platinum) he charged me CAD$13,259.

I'm not sure if I got ripped off (i.e., $1-2k more than what I could have done elsewhere)... Thoughts?

(Yeah, I guess I could have gone elsewhere and bought the ring there, but it would have cost more than $1500 to do 2 trips to Buffalo/New York)

Thanks in advance!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA? AGS? proportions?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 9:05:24 PM
Author:Big-O
Hi everybody -

Finally made the plunge and bought an e-ring (my girlfriend made me). I was pushing for Bluenile the whole time, but I wasn''t 100% sure they were the best price, and that we wanted to see diamonds in person.
I hope you''re kidding....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Need lots more info... So ditto to JulieN

Big-O

Rough_Rock
I''m kidding about my better half ;-)

It''s GIA, and I don''t have the proportions on me (I know it''s kind of a big deal, given what I''ve read so far!)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 9:17:34 PM
Author: Big-O
I''m kidding about my better half ;-)

It''s GIA, and I don''t have the proportions on me (I know it''s kind of a big deal, given what I''ve read so far!)
Yes it is, it''s like asking us to solve a puzzle without all the pieces.....
2.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
If you can get hold of the GIA certificate number we can look it up online, as you know it''s 1.51 carats.

x x x

Big-O

Rough_Rock
I''ve come back with more info!

Since I''m in Canada, he''s using Gemscan to authenticate the diamond instead of GIA. .. I assume this isn''t a big deal.

Apparently the GIA certificate # is 139061034

Any help? Thanks so much!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2008 2:08:36 PM
I've come back with more info!

Since I'm in Canada, he's using Gemscan to authenticate the diamond instead of GIA. .. I assume this isn't a big deal.

Apparently the GIA certificate # is 139061034

Any help? Thanks so much!
Well you should be able to plug in the report number and pull up the cert using this http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/ but I can't. Can you give us the number off the cert; these numbers https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp??

Big-O

Rough_Rock
I have to pay $80 to get the dimensions of the stone from the appraiser. Meh.

Regardless, I''m quite happy as the replacement value was 2.2x what I paid for it. Yayaya I know it has an impact on insurance, but it makes me feel like I had a good deal from the wholesaler! :)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 10:19:26 PM

Regardless, I''m quite happy as the replacement value was 2.2x what I paid for it. Yayaya I know it has an impact on insurance, but it makes me feel like I had a good deal from the wholesaler! :)

I hate to tell you this but appraisals almost always are crazily inflated...

Big-O

Rough_Rock
As expected... ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2008 10:29:25 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 6/2/2008 10:19:26 PM

I hate to tell you this but appraisals almost always are crazily inflated...
Ditto! An inflated appraisal is not good. You never want to overpay that much for insurance. Replacement value right now is the purchase price. If this stone has a GIA certificate, you can get the table, depth, crown and pavilion angles off of it. It''s impossible to say if the stone was a good value without knowing more about it''s cert.

Big-O

Rough_Rock
I got confused earlier... It was a gemscan certificate done by a GIA graduated gemologist.

I have a feeling it''s an SI1 instead of a VS2, although it might be an F instead of a G. So I guess I have the typical buyers remorse 48h after purchase!

Lynnchee

Shiny_Rock
I thought I suffered buyers remorse when I bought a loose diamond at Shane Co. Lucky for me, they had a 60 day return policy. I couldn''t get over my buyers remorse so I purchased two other loose diamonds for comparison over the internet. I compared them all together and ended up being VERY happy that I did.

I bought a total of 3 diamonds and then paid $85 dollars to bring all three to an appraiser. I got a mini-diamond education from her and we got a really good look at all three. I ended up wanting to keep the one that I bought off the internet from GOG. They simply bew the Shane Co diamond out the water. It was a better color, clarity, and bigger than the Shane Co diamond but cost $600 less (no sales tax too)!

For me, it was well worth the effort and an $85 well spent to get peace of mind. That MHO though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results