shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I get a good deal on this vintage ring?

miagracie

Rough_Rock
(Warning: Photo heavy)

After much encouragement and education by you lovely ladies and gents about going for quality
of the stone over the setting or carat size, I found the perfect ring for me. I debated between
the lure of more carats in a new ring (1ct solitaire, tiffany setting) but with much poorer quality (I1-I2).
After looking at this ring and the stones I have that are I1-I2 (but still pretty to the naked eye,
but not as sparkley as this nicer stone) I really see the difference.

I paid $1,400 for this ring. Would you say that's an accurate value? Or what would you value it at?

It's 14k, center stone (not certified or independantly appraised, just the jewelery shop's paper on it)
(By the way-if you disagree please tell me and if it's correct, please also tell me-also any comments
to educate me about the stone are appreciated), european cut, .60, VS1, color H (I'm wondering if
it might actually be a bit better color and clarity than stated?), side stones .14 each total ct = 0.88.

I really love the illusion set. I'd love more info anyone can offer about the setting and stones.
It's supposed to be 1920's (late) - 1930's (early), does that sound right? Any and all education
about the ring, diamonds, clarity, color, etc is appreciated as I still have so much to try to learn.

Excuse my dried out skin and bad manicure in the pictures and my wanky little finger that never
quite healed correctly after a break years ago.

Also, do you think I should add a band, if so any suggestions.

On to the pics...I added a few, becasuse I really didn't know what would help show the stone best.'

097.JPG

100.JPG

128.JPG

131.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think in the photos it looks like a very pretty ring. The diamond looks more like a transitional to me, or an early roung brilliant, than an OEC because the table is larger and the crown does not look as tall as one might expect from an OEC. And are you sure the setting is white gold? It looks a little more like platinum and that would be more common in that time period I think. But hopefully some others will chime in with more knowledge.

I encourage you to take it for an appraisal from an independent appraiser -- ideally someone who does not sell jewelery themselves. They can answer a lot of the questions that we cannot answer remotely!

If it is as represented then you paid a very good price for the ct weight and the setting. But we cannot verify that it matches the specs based on photos!

But on first look the stone looks pretty and the setting very nice, so I tentatively say you did good! But you really should get an appraisal to ensure it is what it was sold to you as.

ETA: can you post a side on shot so we can see the setting and the crown of the diamond, and also if you can a picture looking straight at the diamond so we can see the facet pattern?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
It's very pretty, and looks great on your hand. I'm so in love with antique cuts and settings. If everything is as stated, I think you got a great deal. I agree with Dreamer though, you should definitely take it to an independent appraiser to verify. I also agree that it looks more like a tranny than an OEC. In the last pic that you posted the crown looks a bit large and not as high as other OECs that I've seen. But it's so hard to tell anything from a couple photos. I'd really encourage you to take it to an appraiser that has knowledge of antique jewelry, they would be able to give you all the information that you are looking for including whether or not you got a good deal,you'll need this done for insurance purposes anyway. It's beautiful, congratulations!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The setting also looks platinum or some other metal to me. It doesn't look like WG. I think it will greatly benefit from a good cleaning or polishing.

miagracie

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! At least I know I did get a good deal if all is as promised. Will take it to someone else to look at.

The setting is stamped as 14k. I wonder if the ring/shank part has been replaced. I have my mom's old e-ring from 1949 and the shank had to be replaced and they did such a good job it looks seamless to the naked eye. Could it be a combo of platinum and white gold?
Or could the date of when it was made be later than thought?

Transitional cut wouldn't disappoint me. From what I understand it's still quite nice. But, would the value be lower for a transitional?

I had a few more photos I couldn't post here, here's a link, I think I might have some better shots that would help:

http://s805.photobucket.com/albums/yy333/miagracie/'

Thoughts?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Without an accurate appraisal on color, carat weight, clarity, and cut it's hard to determine fair value

miagracie

Rough_Rock
Does that mean there's a chance I overpaid?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
miagracie|1317226214|3027884 said:
Does that mean there's a chance I overpaid?

Always a chance, but unlikely unless it is not really gold or it is not a diamond. When you buy a ring without papers (i.e., a reputable lab report) you really need to get it appraised. The metal appearance versus the stamp issue alone would have me scratching my head. An appraisal will cost you between 50 and 100 bucks. Just go get it done and stop the worrying.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of the value of OEC vs transitional is down to personal preference. If you like the ring and if it as stated, you likely didn't over pay. If you prefer the look of a Heart & Arrow stone or OEC, then, yes, you overpaid because you didn't get what you wanted.

Appraisals in my area by an independent person recommended on PS are $95. Look up one in your area and see what they say. $95 is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
I collect that style of ring which I kind of see as 30's or 40's. It's more than I'd pay for it, but not too much. If it's your everyday ring then I'd feel very good about it!

What I mean is I'd absolutely pay that if it was "the one." The wedding sets I tend to collect are the same era, but I just love them. I don't wear them as often as my "everyday" ring so I need them to be super good values when I buy them.

As has been said, it comes down to how comfortable you are with the price and how much you like the ring. It really is pretty!

miagracie

Rough_Rock
If you don't mind, about how much would you have paid? Any good online resources for this type of jewelry?

I did see some smaller ones on ebay maybe 0.40-0.50 ct center with just the 4 prong (non illusion) heads and very few with quite the same quality, but pretty close. I'd say those were about 950-1200 (does that sound about right to you?).

If it didn't have the illusion head (I only saw one on ebay with the same illusion head and the larger side stones, but it was still smaller say .50 and less quality by a grade or two and it was about 1,300) and the quality I wouldn't have paid it at all and would have gone with one of the ebay ones for a few hundred less.

However...I also live in a small town and don't have many local resources for vintage jewelry-I even went to pawn shops and most had junk. So for seeing it in person that has to be considered too.

The shop wanted $1999 for it originally. Which was way too much! I'm thinking however, that might have been the "bargaining" price to go down from.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Again, I'm answering as a collectible-NOT as an engagement ring which is a whole different ballgame. For a fun ring I'd have stayed at or under $1000. But really it's lovely and you should be happy with it! It's a beautiful setting! For me personally for the $1400 it would have had to come with the band too, but that's just my arbitrary rule.

I don't know of any online resources. For me it's just years of hunting and seeing the various pricing, as well as the difference in the goldsmithing. One of my sets is super intricate, but has a very low carat weight. The band and ering together is about a half carat! But the illusion head is a flower and the sides of the ring have beautiful metal work. I look both at the stones (weight and quality) as well as the actual setting. I'm a sucker for a good setting! (you can always upgrade stones if you need to!)

Some of the older sets go for a lot, and some go for a little. Since mine are more "fun" rings I have the luxury of hunting for them and buying only when something really strikes me and the price is really good!

And just to be clear, I have overpaid for rings I was in love with. I've done so knowingly because I knew they were pieces I'd look back on and be really sad to have passed up. When it's worth it to me to overpay I do. If this piece sings to you it was more than worth the money.

miagracie

Rough_Rock
For me, this was my "upgrade"/early 20th (will be 18th anniversary in Jan) and I was planning to wait until then to upgrade. Got a cheapie anniversary band (that I returned) to help enhance my first upgrade (on our 1st anniversary -for the original we used a small, very high quality family heirloom diamond on a wide band as a dual e-ring & wedding band) set. Hubby said, why don't you just get something you really love instead.

So I'll be wearing my old set as an "everyday set, " It's lovely but poor quality and quite dated yellow gold (mid 1990's look) and the stone apparently is fractured and isn't worth resetting.
Here it is:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/should-i-have-my-old-e-ring-reset-in-a-simpler-setting.166273/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/should-i-have-my-old-e-ring-reset-in-a-simpler-setting.166273/[/URL]

Agreed, it is different when they are "extra" items of jewelry or a collection. I wouldn't/couldn't do that for one of those (Now if I could afford to do so, I would not hesitate to do so for very special items for special occasions, anniversaries, etc).

I would have preferred a band with it. On ebay, I saw very, very few in my price range with a band or if it did have a band it wasn't as nice, etc. In the vintage & pawn shops locally there was very little selection and no vintage sets. We have a lot of antique shops but they are pretty expensive (small but touristy area and town) for everything they sell (though I've seen a few bargains on various items). I really envy (in a positive way) those of you who have better local resources for vintage items.

I'm hoping to collect a few vintage pieces over the years but on a much smaller budget ($50=$250) a couple times a year-probably dreaming about the price, but I have gotten a few things off ebay that were a bargain for vintage items.

You're right, I would have likely regretted it if I hadn't gotten it. I was a little scared and hesitant to do so, but I'm glad I did and am loving it.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
and it looks FABULOUS on you which is more than worth it! Sounds like a perfect fit!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your new upgrade is beautiful, it also looks like a strong setting, I would wear it daily! Nice find.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results