shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds Original to Piece

Readinglady

Rough_Rock
Should a dealer reveal if the diamond is not original to the piece when selling vintage engagement rings? Should the price reflect that it is not original, or does the quality of the stone determine the price only? If a dealer did not reveal this should you be concerned?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think all known information should be disclosed by a dealer regarding vintage and antique pieces, such as replacement gems, natural vs synthetic, metal content, repair work, if the piece is a conversion or marriage, etc.

The price should reflect those factors.

If the dealer does not reveal that information up front then I would feel like they were trying to hide it.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like the vendor to disclose this but I don’t believe they are obligated to do so. Sometimes vintage jewelry is missing stones or has damaged stones that should be replaced so I don’t expect vintage pieces to be 100% original (but I always hope :)). If I ask if there have been any repairs to the piece I expect full honesty and would hold it against a vendor if they lied.

As a side note, I was once in a vintage jewelry store and a couple was shopping for a vintage engagement ring. The lady complained about the vintage aspects of every ring he had (not DEFG diamond, not shiny, cut not symmetrical) while insisting to her BF she really, really wanted vintage. Vendors sell to very uneducated consumers more often that PS educated consumers so I can understand why they may not disclose more than basic info in certain situations. I try to remember to ask a lot of questions (which is difficult to remember when I have :love: for a piece).

Readinglady

Rough_Rock
You are right, it is our responsibility to ask and educate ourselves. I wondered because another dealer passed a comment about a jeweler I bought my vintage ER ring from. It was made in passing, when I mentioned a specific ring I loved, that a ring had a stone that was not original to the piece. I am not the purchaser, so it had no impact on me if true, but it left me wondering about this stuff. I purchased a beautiful ring from the dealer and there was nothing in the description, conversation or paperwork that says my stone is not original to the piece. My stone is an old mine cut. Going forward I will be far more careful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results