shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds in Brazil

gringo86

Rough_Rock
Hello. I am a US citizen currently in Brazil. I am going to be buying a diamond engagement ring to propose to my girlfriend. She wants a solitaire. In the US, there are diamond rating agencies such as the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) that allow for a certain level of assurance as to the type and quality of diamond one is buying. However, I am not sure if such a thing exists here.

What should I look for when ensuring that the jeweler I work with is qualified and how do I be certain of things such as clarity, color, cut grade and such? I certainly have no trained eye to be able to identify the different types of diamonds, but I want to ensure that I get the best value for my money as well as something that is of high quality.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is responsible thinking. I know there are well regarded sellers in Brazil with an international presence, such as H. Stern. Do they offer and/or will they bring in a GIA-graded diamond for you? Considering South America's recent chequered past with diamonds (Venezuela specifically) I think it's wise to select a diamond accompanied by a grading report from a country with sound import/export controls. This should be in addition to the compulsory KPCS statement that the jeweler's parent supplier should provide.

gringo86

Rough_Rock
John Pollard|1293992006|2812385 said:
This is responsible thinking. I know there are well regarded sellers in Brazil with an international presence, such as H. Stern. Do they offer and/or will they bring in a GIA-graded diamond for you? Considering South America's recent chequered past with diamonds (Venezuela specifically) I think it's wise to select a diamond accompanied by a grading report from a country with sound import/export controls. This should be in addition to the compulsory KPCS statement that the jeweler's parent supplier should provide.

Indeed, there are well respected sellers here. There is H.Stern as well as Vivara that are internationally known. There are some big national brands as well.

I have never heard of KPCS statement before. I did some research and will be sure to obtain this for the diamond I choose to purchase.

What else should I look for in a jeweler here? Certainly I don't want to get ripped off, but I also don't want to be misled by any jewelry salesperson who, perhaps with righteous intentions, simply isn't aware of the details of what they are selling. Incompetence seems to be very common here... (admittedly, in the US and elsewhere in the world as well).

What other organizations like GIA are there? Are there organizations like this in Europe that would perhaps be viable options for imported diamonds here?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
gringo86 said:
Indeed, there are well respected sellers here. There is H.Stern as well as Vivara that are internationally known. There are some big national brands as well.

I have never heard of KPCS statement before. I did some research and will be sure to obtain this for the diamond I choose to purchase.

What else should I look for in a jeweler here? Certainly I don't want to get ripped off, but I also don't want to be misled by any jewelry salesperson who, perhaps with righteous intentions, simply isn't aware of the details of what they are selling. Incompetence seems to be very common here... (admittedly, in the US and elsewhere in the world as well).
Just so. Unfortunately this business is one where the learning curve for salespeople seems constantly outpaced by turnover. The guy who was selling ladies' shoes last week and is now standing behind a jewelry counter can handle casual shoppers, but not people seeking deeper information. This is not limited to Brazil, you'll find it in commercial diamond/jewelry outlets in any world market. So what should you look for? Someone with years of experience who is motivated to stay current on trade topics. Fortunately those folks do exist - I'd start with those respected sellers you mentioned - keep looking until you find them.

gringo86 said:
What other organizations like GIA are there? Are there organizations like this in Europe that would perhaps be viable options for imported diamonds here?
Other labs I suggest you consider are HRD Antwerp, IGI Hong Kong/Antwerp and perhaps EGL USA. HRD is a strong European lab, as is IGI Antwerp. You will not likely find IGI Hong Kong reports outside of Asia, but their reputation rivals GIA in HK and on the Chinese mainland. EGL USA is also a widely issued report - and they are the most reliable of EGL's International operations - but they are widely acknowledged to be a step or two softer than GIA, so treat "what a deal!" situations accordingly. :)

gringo86

Rough_Rock
How do these labs and jewelers ensure that the diamond I am getting matches that of the report? I mean, anyone could take a report and swap the diamond for a less expensive one and I would never know.

EDIT: Perhaps I am asking a question I could find the answer to myself on GIA website or something. If so, my apologies. I will look there as well.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Inclusions mapping. Every diamond has slightly different inclusions characteristics, locations, basically the fingerprints of the stone. If the reports comes with a map of the inclusions, a jeweler should be able to match them with the stones to verify it is the same stone.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Another respected seller is Amsterdam Sauer. You can find them almost everywhere in Brazil, just like H.Stern...

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
gringo86 said:
How do these labs and jewelers ensure that the diamond I am getting matches that of the report? I mean, anyone could take a report and swap the diamond for a less expensive one and I would never know.

EDIT: Perhaps I am asking a question I could find the answer to myself on GIA website or something. If so, my apologies. I will look there as well.
No worries. Ask away. Others with similar questions may be reading.

SC's answer works for most diamonds. In fact some enthusiasts examine their diamond & setting with a loupe at the counter before & after dropoff, even for a simple cleaning. No jeweler should mind you doing this. For the purchase process many experienced jewelers/gemologists may enjoy showing you how to match the inclusions to the clarity plot under a loupe or scope. I know I do. Depending on how "into this" you and your future intended may be, you can get an inexpensive loupe and practice with it yourself so it doesn't take a lot of time (it may in the beginning). Then you can give your future intended the loupe and get to know the diamond together.

This is different for flawless, IF and VVS stones with inclusions that are impractical to locate quickly. In such cases - any case really - where verification is desired a good independent appraisal can be a comforting and educational experience. But the foundation is finding a jeweler you trust in the first place.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results