shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds glued in??

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I was looking on eBay and saw a ring with some pavé diamonds (band). The seller says
“please note the diamonds have been glued.”

Is this a thing with antique/vintage bands? Was some sort of adhesive used? I can’t find anything in a search. The seller isn’t selling other jewelry items and only has a few blurred pics so doesn’t seem knowledgeable.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking on eBay and saw a ring with some pavé diamonds (band). The seller says
“please note the diamonds have been glued.”

Is this a thing with antique/vintage bands? Was some sort of adhesive used? I can’t find anything in a search. The seller isn’t selling other jewelry items and only has a few blurred pics so doesn’t seem knowledgeable.

Oh no! Stay away from that one!
Some diamonds probably fell out or were loose and the owner used glue to fix.
Who knows how old the glue is!
Glue is only acceptable on costume jewelry.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Oh no! Stay away from that one!
Some diamonds probably fell out or were loose and the owner used glue to fix.
Who knows how old the glue is!
Glue is only acceptable on costume jewelry.

I thought it sounded nuts. The ring is a Belais ring. I messaged the seller out of pure curiosity.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would be curious, too.

Weirder things have happened.
Is it a gamble within your comfort $ range?

At first it was BIN for $500 haha - nope. Now they have a bid, so maybe. Just curious if seller will write back.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At first it was BIN for $500 haha - nope. Now they have a bid, so maybe. Just curious if seller will write back.

It's just not worth it, even if it is a bargain.
The glue is there because something is damaged. If you bought it, and had to pay for repairs, then there goes your savings!
Be sure to let us know what the seller says!
I'm curious, too.......

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It's just not worth it, even if it is a bargain.
The glue is there because something is damaged. If you bought it, and had to pay for repairs, then there goes your savings!
Be sure to let us know what the seller says!
I'm curious, too.......

This is SO weird (see screenshot). I mean did every single stone fall out?? Seems unlikely as there are at least 5-6 (again terribly blurred pics) Or did the person take some loose stones and tack them on the band? I replied with that question. So bizarre.

4126D611-7D56-4C27-87D0-4E64EFF87D59.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is SO weird (see screenshot). I mean did every single stone fall out?? Seems unlikely as there are at least 5-6 (again terribly blurred pics) Or did the person take some loose stones and tack them on the band? I replied with that question. So bizarre.

4126D611-7D56-4C27-87D0-4E64EFF87D59.jpeg

Haha! Sounds pretty sketchy to me!!!
Buyer beware!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Haha! Sounds pretty sketchy to me!!!
Buyer beware!

Now the seller ended the listing :lol-2: . At first it was a BIN at $560 (I was thinking $500 when @Rfisher asked; then looked and confirmed it was $560). Then it was starting bid $99. I am still just wondering about stones falling out/being glued in or what. So confused. THen when I started asking questions the listing was ended. Here is one of the pictures:

s-l500.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now the seller ended the listing :lol-2: . At first it was a BIN at $560 (I was thinking $500 when @Rfisher asked; then looked and confirmed it was $560). Then it was starting bid $99. I am still just wondering about stones falling out/being glued in or what. So confused. THen when I started asking questions the listing was ended. Here is one of the pictures:

s-l500.jpg

Oh that's a great shot.
Why would anyone pay $500 for something they can't even see properly? With glued in stones?
Some eBay listings are practically comical!
You must've really frightened that seller into pulling the listing!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m no Belias expert. The stones look larger than images of Belias vintage wedding bands that look somewhat close that I can quickly google image.

IF it were my size,
IF I could pin down a good picture of the exact same ring style elsewhere for reference,
IF I was ok throwing a good few hundred at it in rehab/resto
and the seller were honest and open to communication
I could see myself gambling, but at 500+ probably not.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m no Belias expert. The stones look larger than images of Belias vintage wedding bands that look somewhat close that I can quickly google image.

IF it were my size,
IF I could pin down a good picture of the exact same ring style elsewhere for reference,
IF I was ok throwing a good few hundred at it in rehab/resto
and the seller were honest and open to communication
I could see myself gambling, but at 500+ probably not.

Definitely not. I only became intrigued when it changed (bc no luck selling at 560 obviously) and the seller relisted at $99 starting bid. But the lack of communication and the admission that they glued the stones on themselves even makes the starting bid a no. It's moot anyway since the seller ended the listing after I asked a couple of questions.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my opinion, 100% that is and always was a costume jewellery ring.
Never was real gold and real diamonds.
Some sellers are completely clueless, and we’ve had a few PS posters who think their pieces are platinum and diamonds and …….
Important eBay rules include only buying from sellers with high and 99% positive feedback, buy only when the photos are good enough to make an assessment and generally be very careful with “some countries”.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I remember my goldsmith saying something about an "epoxy" with old stones but I had never ever seen a listing that said this..:|

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see it a lot in older pieces when cheap repairs are made. It's a total pain because after the first wash the glue loosens and the stones can fall out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results