shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond?

d&emerald

Rough_Rock
Greetings,

I hope all is well with you. I have a question. I have a 2 carat natural diamond and a lovely 1.75 carat lab-diamond. I used a diamond weigh balance to scale each and the lab-grown weights more than the natural one. Are lab-grown diamonds heavier than natural diamonds? Thank you in advance for any reply!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. Lab grown and natural diamonds are exactly the same chemical structure. What is the precision of the scale? Do you have paperwork on both relative to weight?

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A carat is a measurement of weight. By definition the 2 carat diamond weighs more than the 1.75.

Your question is equivalent to asking if a 2 pound dumbbell weighs more than a 1.75 pound dumbbell.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A two carat diamond weighs two carats, but a cubic zirconia that is the same diameter as a 1.75 ct diamond actually weighs almost three carats. CZ are often sold as "carat equivalent."

I think you may have been misled. :(2 I hope you didn't pay very much for your "lab diamond."

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Er, no, carat weight is the weight. Not a size.
A 2 carat size ie 8mm round diamond will weigh .4 grams. A 1.75 carat size will weigh .35 grams.
If your “lab diamond” is the same “size” but weighs more, it isn’t a diamond. Different gems have different densities.
What you probably have is a CZ or a Moissanite.
A genuine lab created diamond, that is chemically identical to an earth mined diamond, will have the same carat weight for visual size.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Er, no, carat weight is the weight. Not a size.
A 2 carat size ie 8mm round diamond will weigh .4 grams. A 1.75 carat size will weigh .35 grams.
If your “lab diamond” is the same “size” but weighs more, it isn’t a diamond. Different gems have different densities.
What you probably have is a CZ or a Moissanite.
A genuine lab created diamond, that is chemically identical to an earth mined diamond, will have the same carat weight for visual size.

Actually, moissanite and the other silicon carbide derivatives are lighter than diamond, not heavier. Which would mean that they would weigh less than diamond at the same size. CZs, however, are heavier, as mentioned by @ChristineRose.

So there's only a few possible scenarios here.

1.) The 1.75 carat "lab diamond" is a real lab diamond. The 2 carat diamond is a real natural diamond. And the weight of the 1.75 carat lab diamond was misrepresented on the lab report. This would also mean that the 1.75 carat lab diamond would probably be larger in diameter than the 2 carat diamond (providing cuts are relatively the same and one is not overly deep). Do you have a caliper to measure the diameter of each stone?

2.) The 1.75 "lab diamond" is a Cubic zirconia, and the 1.75 carat represents diamond equivalent weight. The cubic zirconia, in this case, would probably weigh around 330 mg. If this is the case, I hope you did not pay any more than $50 for the stone.

Tanalasta_01

Rough_Rock
Premium
Do you have the certificate or provenance of your 1.75Ct - if it's heavier than the 2Ct that suggests a number of possibilities already mentioned:

1. The 2Ct stone isn't a 2Ct stone - unlikely. You can weigh it - the exact weight should match up to 1Ct = 200mg
2. the "lab grown diamond" - what does it weigh? If it's more than 325mg then again, something is wrong.

It should be reasonably easy to work out what is what. Failing that, a good jeweller can easily test your "lab stone" and see if it's a CZ which is very different to a "lab grown diamond"

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or the 2 ct is a SiC?

d&emerald

Rough_Rock
You're right. The 1.75 is a cubic zirconia. Thank you so much!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tree Scientist laid it out very well. The term "lab diamond" and "man made diamond" are both used to refer to actual Carbon diamonds grown in a lab *and* CZ. It's very annoying and intentionally misleading.

d&emerald

Rough_Rock
Actually, moissanite and the other silicon carbide derivatives are lighter than diamond, not heavier. Which would mean that they would weigh less than diamond at the same size. CZs, however, are heavier, as mentioned by @ChristineRose.

So there's only a few possible scenarios here.

1.) The 1.75 carat "lab diamond" is a real lab diamond. The 2 carat diamond is a real natural diamond. And the weight of the 1.75 carat lab diamond was misrepresented on the lab report. This would also mean that the 1.75 carat lab diamond would probably be larger in diameter than the 2 carat diamond (providing cuts are relatively the same and one is not overly deep). Do you have a caliper to measure the diameter of each stone?

2.) The 1.75 "lab diamond" is a Cubic zirconia, and the 1.75 carat represents diamond equivalent weight. The cubic zirconia, in this case, would probably weigh around 330 mg. If this is the case, I hope you did not pay any more than $50 for the stone.

Is CZ considered a lab stone? Thank you.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tree Scientist laid it out very well. The term "lab diamond" and "man made diamond" are both used to refer to actual Carbon diamonds grown in a lab *and* CZ. It's very annoying and intentionally misleading.

The use of such terms to describe CZ is not only misleading, it is fraud. If you want to experience an exercise in futility, just try turning in one of the fraudsters to the FTC, which is supposed to care about such things. The FTC is "too busy pursuing real crimes" to care about jewelry. (Yes, I used to try, but gave it up years ago.)

Still, as educated consumers from Pricescope, KNOW THIS; if a retailer is too uneducated to know better, or if that retailer is doing it on purpose, then that retailer does NOT DESERVE ONE NICKEL of your business.

Run away from their doors or URLs and spend your money with better educated and honest jewelers. There are many out there, just spend a small amount of time identifying them and you will spend less and enjoy more.

Wink

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is CZ considered a lab stone? Thank you.
There are no clear definitions used consistently in the market. But, diamond alternatives called lab-created can include:

Laboratory-grown diamonds - These are the same chemical makeup as earth mined. These are usually sold by weight in carats and the same 5Cs as diamonds. Mostly in the US, you will see DNea, Pure Grown, and Chatham. They are clearly branded and come with actual paperwork.

Cubic zirconium - These are the cubic crystalline form of zirconium dioxide (ZrO2) as grown in a lab. They come in a range of colors by native to the crystal or by coating them. These can be quite inexpensive of pretty pricey when well-cut. These are usually sold by size in mm or "diamond weight equivalent". These are good for very temporary use as they look good until they are scratched (which can happen very quickly). Some can be beautiful cut and have lovely precision, but most are pretty average to bad. All else aside, look for scratching on the surface for a gem to give these away.

Moissanite - These are lab grown silicon carbide. There are two basic crystal forms on the market right now. These are lighter weight than a diamond. They can be colored native to the material or coated to create fancy colors. They are sold in mm or by "diamond equivalent carats".

Zircon, white sapphire, white spinel, among others. These are mostly earth-mined but can be natural, in colorless forms that are used as alternatives to diamonds. They are usually sold by size in mm and carats. But, they each weigh more or less than a diamond, so look at measurements.

"lab-grown", "Russian diamond", diamond nexus, "lab diamond", and 100 other creative labels. These are mostly CZs that are of unknown quality and cut. They are generally either wildly overpriced or wildly underpriced. Beware to all that enter.

d&emerald

Rough_Rock
I'm looking to purchase a real colored lab-diamond. Dou you know a company that I can trust and what's the world's largest lab-grown diamond? I want a big stone. Thank you.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm looking to purchase a real colored lab-diamond. Dou you know a company that I can trust and what's the world's largest lab-grown diamond? I want a big stone. Thank you.

Is there a reason you want to buy a lab-diamond? Cost savings? Understand that, if you're purchasing a REAL lab-diamond, meaning a stone that has the same chemical structure as a natural diamond but is grown in the lab, then the cost savings will be minimal over a natural diamond.

But if you're interested in a lab diamond for other reasons, check out Brilliant Earth. They're one of the most well-known retails of authentic lab diamonds (not CZ peddled as a lab diamond):
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-created-colored-diamonds/

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some unscrupulous vendors out there I’m afraid who are vague if not downright misleading when it comes to describing man made “diamonds”.
Firstly, without mentioning names, there is no such thing as a “diamond coated” man made CZ diamond.
Secondly, there is no “mystery or magic ingredient” that transforms a basic $10 value Cubic Zirconia into a “premium” $500 Cubic Zirconia other than fancy and misleading marketing.
Moissanite is different to CZ, it is a different chemical composition and is harder ie will wear better and longer than Cubic Zirconia.
Both CZ and Moissanite resemble diamonds in that they are a “white” stone that has sparkle when facetted. They are diamond like alternatives not replacements.
CZ is lab made, it costs cents to manufacture.
Moissanite is lab made, it’s costs a hundred or so to manufacture.
Genuine, lab grown Diamonds are actually diamonds grown in a lab and basically cost the same as the natural ones ie thousands.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the big savings in MMD over Mined is on terms of the coloured variety - MMDs are much cheaper, AIUI.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Colored lab diamonds never really caught on, and if you want one you are going to have to go to a little extra effort.

They are occasionally seen on e-Bay, but e-Bay is a den of thieves selling fakes. If you go that route, check the return policy, buy one with an IGI or GIA cert only, and have an appraiser lined up to evaluate the stone ASAP.

D.NEA posts here occasionally, and they have colored stones.
Brilliant Earth is the top vendor, and they have a few.
Miadonna has some--they used to get theirs from Brilliant Earth, and I suspect they still do. However they are a full service jeweler.
Whoever you go with you will probably have to request that they source you a stone, as the online selection will be pretty sparse.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Man-made colored diamonds are oodles less expensive than their mined counterparts. Brilliant Earth is reputable, I'm assuming they carry colored lab diamonds since they sell plain lab diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results