shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond video help

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I regretfully did not use a tripod for this video.
Any suggestions for capturing maximum fire/brilliance in this dark diamond?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Just a thought here but maybe you could play to the color with a white gold/platinum bezel setting.

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
thank you!=)2

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spotlighting (i.e. multiple point-source lights) is best at creating sparkle and fire in a diamond, so if you have a kitchen with inset spotlights, for example, that can work really well.

Some people also swear by Walmart and other large stores with strip lights high up in the ceiling, but I am not sure it is safe to play with loose diamonds in a store ;-) lol, maybe only stones set in a ring permanently!

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Spotlighting (i.e. multiple point-source lights) is best at creating sparkle and fire in a diamond, so if you have a kitchen with inset spotlights, for example, that can work really well.

Some people also swear by Walmart and other large stores with strip lights high up in the ceiling, but I am not sure it is safe to play with loose diamonds in a store ;-) lol, maybe only stones set in a ring permanently!
Thank you! I was not sure if I should have multiple light sources but this confirms that it would definitely help :)!

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Please try to ignore the background but I did manage to brighten up the stone. My concern is that maybe the light is too close to the stone? Is this possible?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like you're successfully lighting up the stone and are more zoomed in, both of which are useful in terms of seeing the faceting more clearly :) and you can see the facets lighting up as you turn the stone.

I am not very well versed in Fancy colours, but am I correct in thinking that Fancy Dark Grey means the stone is not particularly 'clear'? If that is the case, you may struggle to get any coloured 'fire' off of it.

If you can film in a room with perhaps 3/4/more spotlights in the ceiling, you will be able to hopefully create more reflections (because light is coming in from different angles rather than just one) and therefore capture more scintillation/fire.

To ask the question, what is the purpose of the video? Are you looking to sell the stone and therefore create a video that shows its best performance? If that is the case, I always (personally speaking) feel they are somewhat unrepresentative, as we are not always in the most flattering lighting! lol

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It looks like you're successfully lighting up the stone and are more zoomed in, both of which are useful in terms of seeing the faceting more clearly :) and you can see the facets lighting up as you turn the stone.

I am not very well versed in Fancy colours, but am I correct in thinking that Fancy Dark Grey means the stone is not particularly 'clear'? If that is the case, you may struggle to get any coloured 'fire' off of it.

If you can film in a room with perhaps 3/4/more spotlights in the ceiling, you will be able to hopefully create more reflections (because light is coming in from different angles rather than just one) and therefore capture more scintillation/fire.

To ask the question, what is the purpose of the video? Are you looking to sell the stone and therefore create a video that shows its best performance? If that is the case, I always (personally speaking) feel they are somewhat unrepresentative, as we are not always in the most flattering lighting! lol

Thank you for the helpful advice. I accidently captured this video with no light directly pointed on the diamond just flashlights on near it in daylight but in a shadow. It slightly made a difference with how clear the diamond looks. There is also a brighter but really blurry video that gives off a lot of rainbow sparkles and fire but its so blurry i didn't want to post it.

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium

here is the blur video.....

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not having the light directly on the diamond might show the diamond to be clearer because the inclusions might 'light up' when hit by direct light.

Multiple small lights rather than one strong light should create more coloured fire.

Are the videos so you can sell the diamond?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually think you can get a great video in natural sunlight. Look up the website jewels by grace and you'll see most if not all of the photos are in the sun. Multiple lights can be dazzling but exaggerate the sparkle, sunlight will capture it in a more realistic way. My 2 cents anyway :)

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Not having the light directly on the diamond might show the diamond to be clearer because the inclusions might 'light up' when hit by direct light.

Multiple small lights rather than one strong light should create more coloured fire.

Are the videos so you can sell the diamond?
Yes I am selling this stone for $800 CAD ( $600 USD)
I am open to putting it in a simple setting. Perhaps a bezel pendant in platinum or white gold.

I would assume it has good potential. Even color, symmetry is a VG as well as Polish. Table % 57 and dimensions %61.6 are very interesting. 6.81mm-6.83mmx4.20mm
No fluorescence.

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I actually think you can get a great video in natural sunlight. Look up the website jewels by grace and you'll see most if not all of the photos are in the sun. Multiple lights can be dazzling but exaggerate the sparkle, sunlight will capture it in a more realistic way. My 2 cents anyway :)
I will try an outdoor shot very carefully absolutely. Thank you ! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results