shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond valuation information needed

ioannis

Rough_Rock
Trade
Dear gentlemen i would like a piece of information today i saw a round brilliant color m clarity vvs2 weight 7.85.As you all know rapaport pricelist doesn't include this weight list so the question is how do we determine the whole value of the stone?
If possible i would like if someone knows an exact price
Again thank you all in advance..

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unlike gold, platinum, silver, a barrel of Brent crude oil, a bushel of wheat, a pork belly, diamonds are not a commodity so there is no "exact" price.

Oh, and who assigned those color and clarity grades? GIA? AGS? EGL? the seller? Other?
This is very important.

Even if you get it "appraised" by the best most reputable appraiser in the world, that doesn't mean you'll get that value for it.

ioannis

Rough_Rock
Trade
The valuator was hrd...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ioannis|1477780664|4091880 said:
The valuator was hrd...

HRD is legit, but they just grade; they do not 'value', so I'd not call them a 'valuator'.
If they did 'value' diamonds, you would not be asking for a valuation here.

A round brilliant M, VVS2, 7.85 ct is quite rare.
Unlike, say, a 1 ct H SI1, there are few if any comparable diamonds listed for sale now.

You need the most reputable appraiser you can locate, some perspective/education, and a very large bag of salt ... since "appraised values" are NOT absolute.
They depend on many qualifiers/contingencies.

ioannis

Rough_Rock
Trade
I feel a little confused so let me set my question another way.
Rapaport pricelist goes from 5-5.99 to 10-10.99 how we determine the between values..do we take 5-5.99 standards??do we take 10-10.99 standards??? Do we take the mean(average) between those r
Two standards??? What we do??

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ioannis|1477782370|4091886 said:
I feel a little confused so let me set my question another way.
Rapaport pricelist goes from 5-5.99 to 10-10.99 how we determine the between values..do we take 5-5.99 standards??do we take 10-10.99 standards??? Do we take the mean(average) between those r
Two standards??? What we do??
There are very few circumstances where Rapaport is useful in this kind of question, even if your stone falls within their charts. It sounds like you're working backwards from a false assumption. The prices dealers charge vary WILDLY depending on details that aren't found on Rap. We're talking a factor of 2 at least. The prices dealers pay varies even more. Then there are private party transactions. They're all over the board.

This goes back to the original question *IF* you had a Rapaport price, how would that be useful?

All of that said, Rapaport includes additional charts in the magazine for this as well as a few of the other variables you're likely to encounter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results