shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond turns black under certain lights - Normal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lofi

Shiny_Rock
I''ve noticed in certain spotlight lighting (I think halogen?) my round brilliant turns really dark to the point of people asking what "color" diamond is it... It''s a GIA, H color with no flor... Ideal cut... My mom has an oval that we''ve put next to it in the same lighting and parts of hers get dark but other parts stay white. Just wondering what this effect is and want to make sure it''s normal. ;-) Oh also, I have lots of bright white melee (sp??) haloing my diamond, so I''m wondering if that makes it appear darker. In any other lighting, it looks wonderfully white.

THanks!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Yup, it's perfectly normal. I can't speak to the melee, since I haven't owned a ring with diamond melee, but I know that well-cut diamonds become very dark, almost black, under certain types of light, and the darkness is uniform. Do you also see bright flashes of color shooting out of the stone under these conditions?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
This is a picture posted by Texas_26. Is this similar to what you''re seeing?

tex26.jpg

Lofi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 10:25:29 PM
Author: sarap333
Yup, it''s perfectly normal. I can''t speak to the melee, since I haven''t ever owned a ring with diamond melee, but I know that well-cut diamonds become very dark, almost black, under certain types of light, and the darkness is uniform. Do you also see bright flashes of color shooting out of the stone under these conditions?

Thanks, Sarap!! Appreciate the response. I believe I do see flashes of color, but I''ll pay closer attention to that the next time I''m in halogen lighting. My mom said it was really sparkly even though it looked black! I never know what to say when people ask what color it is in those situations - it''s white!!! Does anyone know how to explain this "effect" on the diamond?

Lofi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 10:38:23 PM

Yes! Very similar!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ya. Over exposure. The stone is reflecting too much light into your eyes, so the pupil is closing up, shutting out light coming in. Look at some of the videos on GOG and see the difference in the spot lighting and diffuse lighting conditions. I am guessing that is exactly the same as what you are seeing.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2009 10:44:55 PM
Author: LFVDoll

Date: 11/2/2009 10:38:23 PM

Yes! Very similar!
Absolutely normal, all well cut diamonds do this.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results